SEC tournament bracketology

Well, if the tournament started tomorrow, we would not like the brackets.  We'd be seeded 5th with a play in game to face Kentucky.  Ugg.

1) Tennessee

2)South Carolina

3)Bama

4)Kentucky

5)Auburn

Fortunately, other teams have some tough games and we will at least be a heavy favorite in both of our games.  There are only 4 games left that matter, assuming no huge upsets.

Mid-week:

Bama 87 @ Florida 105

Tennessee 66 @SC 59

Saturday

SC @ Miss State

Kentucky @ Tennessee

Best case for us is for Florida to knock off Bama and Tennessee to beat South Carolina.   That will place us in a 4 way tie for 2nd and Tennessee clinches the title.   Kentucky and SC have a chance to knock themselves out of the tie by losing on Saturday.   If it winds up in a 4 way tie, the tiebreaker is the record against the other tied teams. That would be Kentucky 2-1, Bama 2-2, Auburn 2-2, and SC 1-2. We would win over Bama on the 2nd tiebreaker of record against conference champ. 0-1 vs 0-2.(I think).  Tennessee would do us a huge favor by knocking off Kentucky. 

If SC beats Tennesse, they would be 2-0 against them and own the tiebreaker. They would be the conference champ by beating Miss. State on Saturday. Even if Bama beats Florida, there would be a 3 way tie for first, with SC having the tiebreak.  Confusing, yes, but we'll have some clarity after Wednesday.  Realistically, the best we can do is 3rd.  I'd really like to avoid 4th or 5th and facing Kentucky in the quarterfinals. For the next two games, I'm a Tennessee fan.

Update: 5 way tie for first is still possible if all of the games fall this way: SC beats Tennessee, Florida beats Bama,  Miss State beats SC, and Kentucky beats Tennessee.  That doesn't help us that much in the seedings.  South Carolina and Kentucky would be 3-2, Tennessee 4-3, Auburn 2-3, with Bama the 5th seed at 2-4.   I'd be ok with that though. Regular season co-champions and I'd rather play Bama in the quarterfinals than Kentucky. 

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Does a team hang a banner for a 5-way tie for regular season title? Has a five way tie ever happened before in the SEC or other Major conference?

Posted (edited)

Well, the first domino has fallen.  Despite the fact that it is theoretically possible for the 5 way tie, I'm still hoping for a Tennessee win against SC. That will put us into a 4-way tie for second. 

If it remains in a 4 way tie after Saturday, the tiebreaker is the record against the other tied teams. The records would be Kentucky 2-1, Bama 2-2, Auburn 2-2, and SC 1-2.  Tiebreaker rules say:

Three-Team Tie (or more)

When three or more teams are tied, the following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams re- main tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used.

1. Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 - Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three).
  2. Best winning percentage of the tied teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceeding through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
  3. If two teams remain, coin flip by the Commissioner.
  4. If three or more teams remain, draw by the Commissioner.

So breaking the tie against Bama seems ambiguous. 0-1 against conference champ Tennessee is clearly better than 0-2, but the winning percentage is the same.  So If you have to move to the 2nd tiebreaker, we both lost to the #2 seed Kentucky and both beat #5 seed SC.  Bama then wins by having a win against #6 Florida, but the dubious prize for Bama would be Florida in the quarterfinals and Kentucky in the semis.  

Tennessee loses a lot of their motivation if they beat South Carolina tonight. They are the #1 seed and conference champs even if they lose to Kentucky on Saturday.   But if they beat Kentucky anyway, that puts us into a 3-way tie for 2nd against Bama and SC.  SC is 0-2 and the 4th seed, and we wind up 3rd after tiebreaks.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Standings

CONF CPCT OVERALL OPCT HOME ROAD NEUTRAL STRK
Tennessee_Volunteers_logo
Tennessee
14-3 0.824 24-6 0.800 14-1 8-3 2-2 W7
southcarolina-block-c-on-dark-rgb-1
South Carolina
12-5 0.706 24-6 0.800 14-3 7-3 3-0 L1
Auburn_Tigers_logo
Auburn
12-5 0.706 23-7 0.767 14-1 5-5 4-1 W2
061d2732-kentucky
Kentucky
12-5 0.706 22-8 0.733 14-4 6-3 2-1 W4
Alabama_Athletics_logo
Alabama
12-5 0.706 20-10 0.667 13-2 5-5 2-3
  • Like 1

SC @ Miss State -3.5

Kentucky @ Tennessee -8.5

Surprisingly, Tennessee is a 8.5 favorite over Kentucky.  If I were a betting man, I'd take Kentucky. Tennessee is the 1 seed win or lose, and Kentucky is a 2 seed if they win and tied with Florida as a 5/6 seed if the lose. Motivation sure favors Kentucky.

If SC and Kentucky lose, we are tied for 2nd with Bama, and should have the tiebreaker over them. (The two team tiebreaker unambiguously says won-lost record of the two teams versus the No. 1 seed) That would be nice; we would then have Miss.State/LSU/TAMU in the quarters and Bama in the semifinals if we win the first one.  I think we are 2nd seed even in a 3-way with SC and Bama.  We just need Kentucky to lose.

So far, it's happening like we would wish. Now just beat Georgia, preferably by 40.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

SC @ Miss State -3.5

Surprisingly, Tennessee is a 8.5 favorite over Kentucky.  If I were a betting man, I'd take Kentucky. Tennessee is the 1 seed win or lose, and Kentucky is a 2 seed if they win and tied with Florida as a 5/6 seed if the lose. Motivation sure favors Kentucky.

If SC and Kentucky lose, we are tied for 2nd with Bama, and should have the tiebreaker over them. (The two team tiebreaker unambiguously says won-lost record of the two teams versus the No. 1 seed) That would be nice; we would then have Miss.State/LSU/TAMU in the quarters and Bama in the semifinals if we win the first one.  I think we are 2nd seed even in a 3-way with SC and Bama.  We just need Kentucky to lose.

So far, it's happening like we would wish. Now just beat Georgia, preferably by 40.

It would be best for us, I think, if UT beat Kentucky. But I don't want to see UT get a 1 seed either. I root for Auburn, and want to see all the other SEC teams go up in flames in the NCAA tournament.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

SC @ Miss State -3.5

It's a big rivalry game on senior night at UT against 2 highly rated teams. I don't think either team will have a motivational edge.

2 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

If 4 teams finish 13-5, what happens? Who gets the 5 seed?

South Carolina.   There is a more lengthy explanation farther up.  It might come down to a coin flip for 3 and 4 seed.  

• Like 1

Well, I hope that lethargic performance cost Tennessee a 1 seed in the big dance.  Kentucky 2, Auburn 4. On the whole, I'd just as soon be the 4 seed as the 3.

https://www.al.com/sports/2024/03/complete-sec-basketball-tournament-bracket-2024-times-tv-channel-full-schedule.html

This is why I was hoping UT would beat UK. If UT won, Auburn is in the top 4. With UK win, Auburn is pushed out despite our win over UGA tonight.

23 minutes ago, AURex said:

This is why I was hoping UT would beat UK. If UT won, Auburn is in the top 4. With UK win, Auburn is pushed out despite our win over UGA tonight.

Pretty sure auburn will be 4 seed in sec tourney

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AURex said:

Auburn is the 4 seed; SC is the 5.  We should be the 3 seed, but they use some funny math on the tiebreaker.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Auburn is the 4 seed; SC is the 5.  We should be the 3 seed, but they use some funny math on the tiebreaker.

I don"t mind our draw.

1. Opposite side of the bracket from Kentucky, who I think is playing better than anybody in the conference now.

2. We get the 2:30-3:00 time slot on Friday. A #3 seed would have put us in that dreaded 8:30 or later game on Friday night.

• Like 3

First round -- Wednesday, March 13
Game 1: No. 12 Arkansas vs. No. 13 Vanderbilt | 7 p.m. on SEC Network
Game 2: No. 11 Georgia vs. No. 14 Missouri | 9:30 p.m. on SEC Network

Second round -- Thursday, March 14
Game 3: No. 8 LSU vs. No. 9 Mississippi State | 1 p.m. on SEC Network
Game 4: No. 5 South Carolina vs. Game 1 winner | 3:30 p.m. on SEC Network
Game 5: No. 7 Texas A&M vs. No. 10 Ole Miss | 7 p.m. on SEC Network
Game 6: No. 6 Florida vs. Game 2 winner | 9:30 p.m. on SEC Network

Quarterfinals -- Friday, March 15
Game 7: No. 1 Tennessee vs. Game 3 winner | 1 p.m. on ESPN
Game 8: No. 4 Auburn vs. Game 4 winner | 3 p.m. on ESPN
Game 9: No. 2 Kentucky vs. Game 5 winner | 7 p.m. on SEC Network
Game 10: No. 3 Alabama vs. Game 6 winner | 9 p.m. on SEC Network

Semifinals -- Saturday, March 16
Game 11: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner | 1 p.m. on ESPN
Game 12: Game 9 winner vs. Game 10 winner | 3 p.m. on ESPN

SEC Tournament Championship Game -- Sunday, March 17
Game 13: Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner | 1 p.m. on ESPN

Edited by aucat
  • Like 2

Yeah Al.com and ESPN will no doubt call it "funny math" too. Bama is #3 in SEC tourn and Auburn's #4 - meaning we have to play #1 TN. Bama & AU are both 13-5 in conf, AU is 24-7, Bama's 21-10, Auburn's ranked higher nationally. In reg season Bama won by 4 over auburn in Tuscaloosa, auburn beat bama by 18 in auburn (more recently). 

$illy math i$ more accurate.

• Like 3

Ah, it's just a quirk of the tiebreakers.  For a two team tie, the second tiebreaker after head to head record is won-loss record against the conference champ. For a 3 or more team tie, it is winning percentage against the conference champ.  So our record of 0-1 against Tennessee beats Bama's 0-2 in a two team tie, but in a 3 or more team tie, our winning percentage is the same, and it proceeds to the next tiebreaker.  It's too bad SC and Kentucky won. The 2 seed would have been nice, with Kentucky and Tennessee on the same side of the bracket.  But now either the 3 or 4 seed will have to beat them both to win, just in a different order. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Ah, it's just a quirk of the tiebreakers.  For a two team tie, the second tiebreaker after head to head record is won-loss record against the conference champ. For a 3 or more team tie, it is winning percentage against the conference champ.  So our record of 0-1 against Tennessee beats Bama's 0-2 in a two team tie, but in a 3 or more team tie, our winning percentage is the same, and it proceeds to the next tiebreaker.  It's too bad SC and Kentucky won. The 2 seed would have been nice, with Kentucky and Tennessee on the same side of the bracket.  But now either the 3 or 4 seed will have to beat them both to win, just in a different order. 

At least bama gets the same side of the bracket as Kentucky now. Plus, they have to play the late game on Friday. Here's hoping it starts about 9:30.

Honestly, I like our draw as the 4 seed.  I’d rather play SC than UF on Friday.   Saturday against presumably UT isn’t great, but at that point everyone is good, so it would be a tough game anyway!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Honestly, I like our draw as the 4 seed.  I’d rather play SC than UF on Friday.   Saturday against presumably UT isn’t great, but at that point everyone is good, so it would be a tough game anyway!

Florida has been really good away from home iirc and they have had a fantastic O as of late, so I would definitely agree with you there. They're also a program that has our number lol

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Florida has been really good away from home iirc and they have had a fantastic O as of late, so I would definitely agree with you there. They're also a program that has our number lol

image.gif.5ef9b080e74dfedb5116b5ff2bc9336c.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Honestly, I like our draw as the 4 seed.  I’d rather play SC than UF on Friday.

Agreed. We match up way better against SC.

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Florida has been really good away from home iirc and they have had a fantastic O as of late

Double-edged sword. We do not match up with FL as they kicked our ass a few weeks ago. Broome does not like shooting over taller guys.

On the other hand, FL is not good away from home, going 3-7 in true road games (4-2 neutral sites) and just lost at Vandy.

But FL has been hot down the stretch. All of their losses have been super tight games.

Much prefer playing SC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Agreed. We match up way better against SC.

Double-edged sword. We do not match up with FL as they kicked our ass a few weeks ago. Broome does not like shooting over taller guys.

On the other hand, FL is not good away from home, going 3-7 in true road games (4-2 neutral sites) and just lost at Vandy.

But FL has been hot down the stretch. All of their losses have been super tight games.

Much prefer playing SC.

FL lost last night to the worst team in thr SEC, 8 win Vandy.

For those oddly preferring our #4 draw vs UT, the SEC Tournament's in Tennessee.  

14 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

FL lost last night to the worst team in thr SEC, 8 win Vandy.

Nope. Missouri finished 0-18 in the SEC vs. Vandy's 4-14.

16 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

For those oddly preferring our #4 draw vs UT, the SEC Tournament's in Tennessee.

• Like 4
  • Love 3