One Reason Saban Retired

The way I see it they created their own monster. Hypothetically speaking, let’s say they were actually paying players under the table. Word travels and yes they were able to recruit TOP talent. Many of these players share these alleged, ahem, deals on the down low. Now these are out in the open, and this new generation of teenagers is way different than back before NIL. This entitlement generation is more open, and daring in their new approach. Not all, but enough to create the current state of the kids today. Between cell phones creating the immediate, and social media presence this ain’t actually very surprising, at least to me!
plus they grew up in the everyone gets a trophy generation.

WIIFM! Not a radio station! 

• Like 2

I'm sure many like myself had already figured that this was a major reason he decided he'd had enough. 

The college football landscape has only begun to change with the NIL, and unregulated free agency. The NCAA has completely screwed the game up, and frankly I don't know how it will all shake out. Going to be impossible to put the toothpaste back in the tube. 

The only thing I believe now that can bring about constructive change is when the public begins to lose interest, and ceases, buying tickets. 

I know personally it has certainly changed my feelings of the sport. I still enjoy Auburn football for the entertainment factor of it, but I'm not nearly as emotionally invested in it all as I once was. I'll certainly not be contributing to any NIL money, nor will I be buying tickets anymore until some drastic changes are made. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

IMO Saban taught a value system…one to last a lifetime. Learn to do the job properly….execute what you have been taught to the best of your ability. Be a good teammate, and look out for each other. 
I suppose with NIL, the earth shifted beneath Saban’s feet….along with every other coach. Now it’s about instant gratification….gimme, gimme. Corporate America is all about this quarter’s profit. Politics is no longer about doing the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people. It is all short term, what can you do for me, thinking.

Thus far I’ve not donated to On To Victory. I want the best for Auburn, but the current landscape makes me feel I’m wasting money. Buy a player and he doesn’t contribute,  and then transfers. I understand Saban’s frustration.

• Like 1

The current environment is much like the pros in that players are being paid such high sums that, in time, the focus will be on sustaining that level of pay instead of *team*.  Saban didn’t do well in the pros for this reason, he couldn’t control the players like he did in college ball.  He saw what was coming and is too old to want to adapt.  IMO.

• Like 1

'Adding personal value' was Saban's big selling point. In other words college B may offer you (under the table) the same as uat, but if you have what it takes, Saban would build your value for the League and enable you to make millions when you leave the program. Love him or hate him, he delivered on this for a bunch of players. Now they get the money up front and many more schools are in play. Pay me or I'll leave doesn't work for his system. I wonder if it will work anywhere as it is now.

• Like 2

So CNS never threw his headset when he was upset?  Never screamed or struck a player when things didn't go as he wanted?  All this seems a bit hypocritical to me....

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 9:07 AM, JuscAUse! said:

'Adding personal value' was Saban's big selling point. In other words college B may offer you (under the table) the same as uat, but if you have what it takes, Saban would build your value for the League and enable you to make millions when you leave the program. Love him or hate him, he delivered on this for a bunch of players. Now they get the money up front and many more schools are in play. Pay me or I'll leave doesn't work for his system. I wonder if it will work anywhere as it is now.

He just took advantage of the situation. He did not add anymore value to those cream of the crop players than Georgia, OSU, etc… most of the value was inherent in them being top players.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

He just took advantage of the situation. He did not add anymore value to those cream of the crop players than Georgia, OSU, etc… most of the value was inherent in them being top players.

Look. I'll agree he took full advantage of the situation. I am not in his fan club. But he could point to numerous players in the NFL from uat and say to the player, do what I tell you when I say and you will be ...that guy. Now they get paid before they are ....that guy. So it hurt him and it was a reason he left. But it's still true for every coach left in college football. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:15 PM, Son of A Tiger said:

Wow. This is interesting. I'm surprised he would share this. Says a lot about bama players. Hope ours aren't the same.

Nick Saban calls out Alabama players (msn.com)

Hugh has already said AU had a "me first" attitude problem last year and a "culture" problem. 

Now having a me first & cultural problem on a team that ended with a losing record (Auburn) and having one that took the NC winner to OT in the CFB Playoff (Bama) is probably on a whole different spectrum, but they are problems none-the-less.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Funny people think Saban is retired.

He just doesn’t have to do the day to day bs.

Officially yes but he’s on call 24/7. Uat has two head coaches, one on the sidelines and one in the background doing recruiting and assistant /guidance coaching.

Meanwhile Freeze is still trying to figure out why the Georgia and bowl  games are so important.

Ya know what, I'm with Nick Saban. Win with class and lose with class.

As for all the other BS about NIL and portal and such ........ for any team I want to be associated with AND THAT IS AUBURN .. win with class and lose with class. In my days, decades ago, several coaches ago, this was Auburn. Win with class. Lose with class.

• Thanks 2