NIL Fatigue

AUGoo

Donor fatigue: Some college football fans wonder why they have to pay for players

HOUSTON, TEXAS - JANUARY 8: Michigan Wolverines fans cheer against the Washington Huskies during the 2024 CFP National Championship game at NRG Stadium on January 8, 2024 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Jamie Schwaberow/Getty Images)
By Seth Emerson
Mar 7, 2024

Brent Freeman has been a Georgia football season ticket holder all 32 years of his life. The tickets were passed down in the family, and now he and his father donate just more than $4,000 per year to UGA for the right to have four seats around the 25-yard line, about 50 rows up.
“It’s perfect,” Freeman said of the view.
Freeman, who lives in Evans, Ga., just outside of Augusta, describes himself as middle class. Spending thousands of dollars per year for tickets isn’t ideal, but it just always has been in the family budget. He loves the Dawgs. Two years ago, when a friend pointed him to Georgia’s new name, image and likeness collective, Freeman decided to chip in: $30 per month.
But now the dynamic is changing. The collectives are seen as the way to get players, and Freeman worries he and other fans will be asked for more. Meanwhile, he sees the SEC paying tens of millions each year to its schools, including Georgia. And he hears about the NIL payments — from fans like him, not the schools — going to certain recruits.
“No ill will toward the university or anything. My gripe is with the system,” Freeman said. “Asking us fans, I think, is wrong. I think it’s comical the money the NCAA brings in, and the fact they’re asking fans — and not just Georgia fans, but fans across the country — to give more, it’s just kind of comical. You can’t explain to me that this is the best way to do it.”
That is an emerging complaint from fans and one more factor that could create big changes in college sports, including revenue sharing in which schools directly pay their athletes, rather than asking fans to foot the bill through collectives.
There’s a term for it in the NIL industry: donor fatigue. Fans who are already asked to donate a lot for season tickets, not to mention the facilities arms race, are now being asked to essentially pay the players, while the schools are prohibited from doing so directly by NCAA rules.
“It certainly is on the minds of all of us right now,” said Walker Jones, executive director of The Grove Collective, which supports Ole Miss athletes. “I think there’s an understanding that donor-led and fan-led model is not equitable and not sustainable. …
“I think it’s wise for these power conferences to figure out a revenue share and to figure out a way to collectively bargain. Which would then address donor fatigue, it would add sustainability and it would give the athletes the ability to truly capitalize on name, image and likeness, through revenue sharing.”
6288936dc537f0a09b1fd300852ee2dab3d3a7f2

Georgia fans get fired up before the start of a game in 2023. (USA Today)
One person likened NIL to a trampoline: It’s used to get the program to the next level, but the trampoline costs money to build, and people need to be shown how to use it. Other people might not see NIL as a trampoline but as a burden.
The collectives don’t depend entirely on small, month-to-month donors. Big donors, whether individuals or businesses, often compose the majority of the donations. But the attraction of small donors is that they could be more consistent. If a collective can tap the thousands of fans at each school for small monthly donations, that means a lot of money.
But fans have to be convinced to give, and many are unwilling. Greg Sullivan, 57, lives in Athens, goes to many Georgia sporting events and has been a football season ticket holder for more than 30 years. He pays about $3,000 per year for his two tickets at Sanford Stadium.
When asked to donate to the collective, he declined. Part of it, by Sullivan’s acknowledgment, is he’s old school.
“I guess since I’ve been there so long and going so long, I got used to the old way of doing things,” he said. “You’ve seen where a lot of money goes, Lamborghinis and stuff like that. Not something I want to get involved with.”
If the NIL era is here to stay, Sullivan thinks the schools should be the ones directly paying. He pointed to another factor in his reluctance to give: a lack of transparency from the collectives, which are not public and don’t have to divulge their finances. Fans not privy to information don’t know how much players are getting, how much the collective needs and how much the collective has.
“You don’t know if they’ve got enough or they need more,” Sullivan said.
Neil Paul, a Clemson fan in Anderson, S.C., had been giving money to Clemson’s athletic department fundraising arm since 1987, paying around $2,000 each year for his season tickets. After sitting out the 2020 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Paul and his wife opted not to renew and haven’t looked back. Among friends who remain season ticket holders, he hears the same refrain: People have only so much disposable income to support their teams.
“The money overcomes the loyalty,” Paul said. “I’ll hear friends who are donors say, ‘Well, they’re hitting us up for this, can you increase your donation by 10 percent’ or whatever amount? … Where does it end?”
Jason Belzer is the founder of Student Athlete NIL agency, which advises around 50 collectives. He says donor fatigue was inevitable in the current model.
“Those people have now had to step up to pay not only the university’s regular operating costs but now the payroll of these teams,” Belzer said. “We’re now in the third year of NIL, and a lot of schools’ donors aren’t getting a return on their investment. Before you at least got your name on the building. Now you pay for the payroll, and your team doesn’t win.”
This season, Belzer estimates, at least 15 schools’ collectives will be paying more than $10 million total to their football teams. He said the median among the power conferences will be around $4 million to $5 million. That’s money that is either in addition to or in place of money that is going to traditional donations for season tickets, facilities or other things.
“I have this conversation with ADs constantly. I say you have to be ready, or you’re going to be on the wrong side of what’s about to happen,” Belzer said, meaning revenue sharing.
But in the current model, where do programs stand? In talking to several experts, who were granted anonymity to speak about these issues, the consensus is that it varies by program.
Georgia is probably in the same group as Alabama as programs that have recruited well and won recently on the field, although Alabama faces a big change as it moves forward without Nick Saban. They have built a lot of facilities during the past decade, fundraising to do so, and thus many donors might be closer to being tapped out. LSU, Clemson and other schools that went fully into the facilities race are in that boat. Teams like Georgia, however, have the added “burden” of recent success, which makes fans wonder why their collectives need the money.
Sullivan’s reluctance speaks to what the Georgias and Alabamas are up against: the lack of panic.
“I guess it’d be a little different, would you give to get one of those championships,” Sullivan said. “But we just ended a 41-year drought.”
At Texas, Texas A&M or Tennessee (among others), programs and donors might have great facilities and such, but they’re incentivized to participate more in the NIL donating program because they want to get back to the glory days. There’s a desperation factor at places like Nebraska, which saw a huge influx of donations after snagging five-star quarterback Dylan Raiola away from Georgia in December.
Some programs are sneaky good at NIL, like Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri, which need that bump to get to a higher tier. Athletic directors and coaches have realized it’s a good tool, so they’ve encouraged donating. As in: Hey, this is a way to have a better product on the field.
When it comes to fundraising, school administrators have realized they need to adjust. Some are scaling back on asking for money for facilities and other traditional things, knowing even their big-money donors have only so much to spend.
“At the end of the day, NIL is probably the most direct line to being competitively relevant,” one administrator at a power conference program said. “The old adage in fundraising is to say: ‘Coach what do you need, how can I help you?’ It used to be, ‘I need a new locker room’ or something like that. Now, 90 percent, if not 100 percent, of coaches are going to say, ‘I need NIL money.’”
Ole Miss is among the schools that have felt that already: Athletic director Keith Carter said this week that it had “put on the shelf” plans to renovate the stadium, citing the current landscape.
But when it comes to fundraising for collectives, Ole Miss is an example of full buy-in, from the coach to the administration to the fans. The Grove Collective has been one of the most high-profile collectives, and Ole Miss followed up an 11-win season by getting key transfers.
“I think everybody understands that you’re showing proof of concept then you’ll probably be OK,” Jones said. “But the moment you have any downturn in success on the court or the field, you’re probably going to have some issues.”
That speaks to the sustainability of the current model. Schools can hit up fans for money for only so long. That’s what makes revenue sharing more attractive. It would have the benefit, if the money were going to the schools rather than the collectives, of being tax-deductible for donors.
But there are concerns about taking funds away from women’s and non-revenue sports. The worry is if a revenue sharing percentage is too high — 50-50, for instance — that athletic directors are going to cut sports like cross country, golf, tennis, etc.
That’s why Jones and others are in favor of getting ahead of the issue with collective bargaining with athletes for a percentage that keeps things viable for every sport. It would take pressure off the collectives to raise the money themselves.
“Right now everybody’s on the hamster wheel 365 days a year trying to make payroll and make money,” Jones said. “If you can have some pressure taken off your collective and your donor base, then I think everyone wins, including your student-athletes.”
What it all looks like is still complicated. The power conferences, especially the Big Ten and SEC, should take the lead on figuring it out, Jones said. It could mean directly paying the players, or it could be paying them through the collectives.
“We’re seeing a slow and steady push to common sense and acceptance of what this really is and where it’s going,” Jones said. “People fought it, fought it, fought it. Now I think everyone’s like, ‘Well, there’s no use fighting it anymore. We have to come to the best way to embrace it.’”
Freeman agrees the players deserve to be paid. He’s happy they are.
“I just don’t think it should be coming from hardworking middle-class people who have been donating to the school,” he said. “Especially when you hear about the billion dollars they’re getting from ESPN.”
And in talking to his friends and fellow season ticket holders, he is sure he’s not alone.
“The consensus is it’s not fair to the fans. It’s not fair to pile on and to give and give and give. And there’s no regulation or policing of it,” he said. “We’re just starting. When’s it going to stop? What’s it going to look like in five years?”
(Top photo: Jamie Schwaberow / Getty Images)

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Honestly the best thing is for the student athlete to become an employee and get a salary. If they want endorsements....earn them on their own. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Honestly the best thing is for the student athlete to become an employee and get a salary. If they want endorsements....earn them on their own. 

There’s truth to this, but I get the way the players feel. I’m not saying do away with NIL, but regulate it somehow . I’m probably too ignorant on the subject anyways . Don’t listen to me lol 

• Like 1

Insightful article. I’m starting to rethink my OTV donation (albeit a humble amount) I just don’t love the sport the way it is now. And I’m finding a multitude of other interests and hobbies more worthy of my time and money. I’ve always preferred CFB to the NFL and now the powers to be are making them eerily similar. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It’s all a slippery slope.  A lot of the money that football brings in funds other sports.  If you make football players employees then you have to make all sports members employees.  Schools are going to have to pay female athletes the same as male athletes or you’re opening up a whole other Pandora’s box.  To me there’s not a lot of incentive for big money donors to keep pumping money into NIL because there’s not really a ROI or tax incentive.  At least when you make a charitable donation to the school you get a tax write off.  They need to let the kids who want big money go straight to a professional league and leave the college game to the amateur athletes and kids who actually want to attend college.

Edited by Win4AU
  • Like 3

Yeah. I'm an alum and have a kid there now. I'm principally concerned with academic standing of the institution. Sports is ancillary. My experience with going to annual or bi-annual out-of-conference games with my nosebleed view doesn't incentivize me to donate to recruiting. Fatigue is the best characterization of hearing about all the currency liberally changing hands and me otherwise expected to pay fees for any and every aspect of spectatorship on campus or from my living room. So, I too am about to turn off the my virtually-insignificant monthly NIL.

Edited by AUx
meh

I love Auburn, but I think my interest in football has more to do with habit at this point than any real interest. I hate NIL and what it is making this game. I don't enjoy pro sports in general, I'm not going to enjoy pro sports under a college banner. And with Auburn's struggles of late, it's easier to find something else to do. 

The college game had better hope I'm an outlier. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mikey said:

fun that used to be college athletics.

With emphasis on “ used to be”

• Like 2

A few things to unpack in that article.

First and foremost. The moment they institute a collective bargaining agreement, the universities like Texas, TAMU, UGA, and Bama will again gain the upper hand. They're never going to stick to a defined set of rules. NIL changed that and dispersed talent more readily throughout CFB.

Secondly, there absolutely is reason to bitch, whine, and complain when you're the one being milked for every cent. I don't contribute but I understand why someone would stop. It is the same reason I don't contribute. Middle class workers living in modest to poor conditions being asked to contribute to a 18 year old's lavish lifestyle is a large ask. Auburn University taking in millions upon millions of dollars and asking fans to donate whatever we can.  Give me a break.  My ego is not so precious that I must give any disposable income I can come up with so that Auburn can compete is bama and UGA.

I just don't know how much further I am willing to go down this road. I am likely out at the first lockout/strike. I know it is coming. 

An aside:

Being the sidewalk fan that I am. I am profoundly confused how a good deal of the alumni of Universities tend to operate post graduation. Degrees aren't cheap. I have a 15 year old that I am shopping schools for already. Degrees can be around 60-100k depending. If you have done it, all the more to you. I will pay for my 15 year olds college when it comes time. I am just baffled that alumni paid to go to a University like Auburn and graduate. Then turn around and donate money afterward to the same university. I get that you love it but you paid to go there. It's not like they were doing any of you favors. I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever. What each of you choose to do with your disposable income is your business but I just can't wrap my head around it. 

• Like 2

It's really amazing , actually. My two nieces were still in college when AU gradually started taking the tailgate spots away and the ransom money to be able to order the ever more expensive season tickets started going through the roof. My son got a partial scholarship to a close DIII school and played football there so we were able to stay with family at a campground with bus service to and from the stadium. It wasn't what it had been , but we did season tickets through the 2014 season so it was worth it. All the young folks started having kids and  me and my brother or other family just started going to a game or four a year, and paying whatever it took. Saved tons of money. We've never been more able to afford it , but something is just missing with the whole experience. Now this stuff.

I love AU and wouldn't take anything for the good times I've spent there , in football, basketball, and baseball. Especially with my Dad and family after he passed on. But this is just ..... different. And not in a good way so far. Just my opinion. I know the toothpaste is out of the tube. 

Sorry for the book length post and the rant. War Eagle anyway. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

A few things to unpack in that article.

First and foremost. The moment they institute a collective bargaining agreement, the universities like Texas, TAMU, UGA, and Bama will again gain the upper hand. They're never going to stick to a defined set of rules. NIL changed that and dispersed talent more readily throughout CFB.

Secondly, there absolutely is reason to bitch, whine, and complain when you're the one being milked for every cent. I don't contribute but I understand why someone would stop. It is the same reason I don't contribute. Middle class workers living in modest to poor conditions being asked to contribute to a 18 year old's lavish lifestyle is a large ask. Auburn University taking in millions upon millions of dollars and asking fans to donate whatever we can.  Give me a break.  My ego is not so precious that I must give any disposable income I can come up with so that Auburn can compete is bama and UGA.

I just don't know how much further I am willing to go down this road. I am likely out at the first lockout/strike. I know it is coming. 

An aside:

Being the sidewalk fan that I am. I am profoundly confused how a good deal of the alumni of Universities tend to operate post graduation. Degrees aren't cheap. I have a 15 year old that I am shopping schools for already. Degrees can be around 60-100k depending. If you have done it, all the more to you. I will pay for my 15 year olds college when it comes time. I am just baffled that alumni paid to go to a University like Auburn and graduate. Then turn around and donate money afterward to the same university. I get that you love it but you paid to go there. It's not like they were doing any of you favors. I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever. What each of you choose to do with your disposable income is your business but I just can't wrap my head around it. 

If you think you have to pay $60-100k for a degree from Auburn, you’re doing it wrong.  

Otherwise, I agree with you.  I leave the boostering to Jimmy Rane and Miller Gorrie. 

22 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

If you think you have to pay $60-100k for a degree from Auburn, you’re doing it wrong.  

Otherwise, I agree with you.  I leave the boostering to Jimmy Rane and Miller Gorrie. 

Now mind you I didn't get full details. We toured Tennessee(she loved it). They showed a graphic that had the price at $26K for out of state tuition. Seemed high to me. But then you search Auburn's which is lower. That is $59,032 minus the Miscellaneous Expenses(books) for four years Hence the $60K guess I made. Now I suppose scholarships could be gained but I don't operate on things I cannot control. I will assume the higher figure and be thrilled if scholarships knock the price down.

My daughter doesn't seem interested in Auburn. We are going to tour it at some point to see if her mind changes, The high school is taking her class for a tour of Bama. The others we plan to visit is UAB(I can get half off but we don't want her there), Jacksonville State(her likely landing spot), and UT Chattanooga.

Auburn.edu

Undergraduate Costs by Semester

Tuition and Fees – 2024-2025

Fall, Spring, or Summer

• Alabama Resident: $6,445
  • Non-Alabama Resident: $17,461

Other Costs – 2024-2054

• Housing and Food: $8,313 (On-Campus Housing)
  • Housing and Food: $7,718 (Off-Campus Housing)
  • Housing and Food: $4,183 (Living with Parent)
  • Miscellaneous Expenses: $3,683 (Books, Course Materials, Supplies, Equipment, Transportation, and Personal)
Edited by Chaotic_zx

4 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Now mind you I didn't get full details. We toured Tennessee. They showed a graphic that had the price at $26K for out of state tuition. Seemed high to me. But then you search Auburn's which is lower. That is $59,032 minus the Miscellaneous Expenses(books) for four years Hence the $60K guess I made. Now I suppose scholarships could be gained but I don't operate on things I cannot control. I will assume the higher figure and be thrilled if scholarships knock the price down.

Auburn.edu

Undergraduate Costs by Semester

Tuition and Fees – 2024-2025

Fall, Spring, or Summer

• Alabama Resident: $6,445
  • Non-Alabama Resident: $17,461

Other Costs – 2024-2054

• Housing and Food: $8,313 (On-Campus Housing)
  • Housing and Food: $7,718 (Off-Campus Housing)
  • Housing and Food: $4,183 (Living with Parent)
  • Miscellaneous Expenses: $3,683 (Books, Course Materials, Supplies, Equipment, Transportation, and Personal)

If you let your kids go to any four year college as a freshman on your dime without scholarships, you are doing it wrong.  

All three of mine went to Auburn as freshman but they all had scholarships that paid at least 90% of their tuition and fees.  

There are plenty of community colleges that offer great programs for the first two years.  Mine would have been there had they not been getting paid.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NCAubs said:

If you let your kids go to any four year college as a freshman on your dime without scholarships, you are doing it wrong.  

All three of mine went to Auburn as freshman but they all had scholarships that paid at least 90% of their tuition and fees.  

There are plenty of community colleges that offer great programs for the first two years.  Mine would have been there had they not been getting paid.  

A 90% reduction would allow me to retire earlier. More likely though is that I'd put myself on the hook for a graduate degree. I do hope it works out that way for her. She is certainly smart enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Chaotic_zx said:

A 90% reduction would allow me to retire earlier. More likely though is that I'd put myself on the hook for a graduate degree. I do hope it works out that way for her. She is certainly smart enough.

I wish you the best. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCAubs said:

Honest question… have you seen the cost nowadays?  That seems a reasonable range.

edit: I read your subsequent replies and see what you’re saying.  I’m a huge proponent of spending 3-4 semesters at community college initially unless you’ve got big schollys. 

Edited by mustache eagle

3 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

. I am just baffled that alumni paid to go to a University like Auburn and graduate. Then turn around and donate money afterward to the same university. I get that you love it but you paid to go there. It's not like they were doing any of you favors. I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever. What each of you choose to do with your disposable income is your business but I just can't wrap my head around it. 

This is an interesting question I've never seen asked before now. In my case, I donate to the academic side. Specifically the School of Agriculture, in the belief that I am helping the students who are experiencing the same things I experienced and will likely be in related career fields to what I was in before I retired. "I donate for today's kids." I hope that helps you wrap your head around it.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is an interesting question I've never seen asked before now. In my case, I donate to the academic side. Specifically the School of Agriculture, in the belief that I am helping the students who are experiencing the same things I experienced and will likely be in related career fields to what I was in before I retired. "I donate for today's kids." I hope that helps you wrap your head around it.

I appreciate the response. Admittedly I come at this from a much different perspective than others. Not that I am unique.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 1

Have to think the number of fans who can repeatedly give thousands of dollars to NIL funds each year are few and far between. I was expecting there to be a leveling out at some point and these million dollar deals players are getting will go away. I can see it for a handful like Manning who are household names before joining a school but most players don't move the needle like that. 

20 hours ago, Mikey said:

You're not that much of an outlier. For instance, four years ago I would have been delighted with our recent recruiting class. My first thought this time was "How long will any of them stay here?". Kinda' spoils the fun that used to be college athletics.

If a fan is asking this question, then we sure know a booster who has ponied up multi-millions to OTV is asking the same dang question.

Money people are used to getting something for what they give.  Giving to an NIL collective to the tune of millions or even hundreds of thousands a year to pay kieds for the short term can't be very satisfying when the team fails to accomplish anything of significance.  I mean when you fork out million for temporary players and all you get are a few days/weeks of bragging rights because your team flipped or stole a recruit, what's the incentive to keep opening that wallet? 

• Like 4

Good conversations being had here. The future of college football as we know it are…..complex. 

• Like 3

Call me naive as I've never had season tix but my parents did in the late 80's and well into the 90's BUT, if I've been a holder for 32 years and paying 4G/year, I'd hope they could do better than the 25 yd line. I guess if you tell yourself they're great seats long enough, you start to believe it.  Maybe they are. I dunno.