NIL Fatigue

AUGoo

17 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I think (and am afraid) that at some point, college football players won't be required to attend college. 

Instead, each college will have an "affiliated team", which is made up of players being paid but not required to attend the affiliated college (or any college).

Exactly. Team loyalty, getting an education is quickly being eliminated with nil and portal.

54 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Exactly. Team loyalty, getting an education is quickly being eliminated with nil and portal.

Yes.

Given the current direction and money madness, I could see college sports teams becoming much like minor league baseball teams, with affiliations purchased by universities for a specific time period, renegotiated regularly, with lots of potential volatility over time.

For example, the team affiliated with Arkansas could choose, at contract's end, to become affiliated with Maryland instead, if offered more money or other incentive.  This year they wear Arkansas uniforms, next year they wear Maryland uniforms...

Of course, this is a long way away, if it ever happens.  But with the current direction, I could see it happening.

The sad thing is that for 90% of the players, a college scholarship would be, by far, the better long-term deal for them, if they would just take advantage of it.

Edited by WillMunny

Ultimately, they'll reign the regulation in on NIL a bit, but I feel the damage will already be done; parity is gone at the college athletics level unless they make every school's NIL budget the same (they won't/can't).

Anecdotally, I've found myself more disillusioned with Auburn athletics since COVID, and I can't put my finger on if it's NIL, the fact that I entered my 30s and attention turned to "real life" matters, or a mixture.  Even more exhausting are Auburn-affiliated people with microphones chastising the fanbase for "accepting" same ole Auburn performances on the athletic field.  Like give it a rest people, my yelling half-inebriated at a TV screen isn't going to change the outcome of an Auburn sporting event or who's coaching the teams whether I accept the result or get mad at it.  I never spend anyone else's money, but as much as Auburn sports used to mean to me, I still can't see the point in asking the average fan to chip in discretionary income to hopefully land an 18 year old who will bolt for the next highest offer the next year.  It just seems like the money aspect in college sports has cranked up the fanaticism as well, and not In a good way.

Edited by SCTiger2011
  • Like 2

Where are all the guys that thought NIL was gonna be a good thing? Cat got your tongue?

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2024 at 1:43 PM, TigerOne said:

And coaches constantly moving.

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

And coaches constantly moving.

Or in Auburn’s case fired.

Freeze will probably be next in the distinguished Auburn coaches fired get rich quick hall of fame 

Edited by TigerOne
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Or in Auburn’s case fired.

Freeze will probably be next in the distinguished Auburn coaches fired get rich quick hall of fame 

I think he stays for at least 4 years. Nothing to base that on though, but I can guess as well as anyone else.

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I think he stays for at least 4 years. Nothing to base that on though, but I can guess as well as anyone else.

He won’t have a choice, his results determine his tenure.

so far it’s still wait and see. He hasn’t instilled any confidence or hope. A day will only raise more questions and wait until August.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, TigerOne said:

so far it’s still wait and see. He hasn’t instilled any confidence or hope. A day will only raise more questions and wait until August.

Don't you ever have anything positive to say? Football forum, basketball forum, you always express the negative and seem to expect the worst. I don't know if Coach Freeze is a good answer for Auburn or not, but let's give him a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, TigerOne said:

I will give you credit. Unlike others that criticize every little thing a coach does, sometimes for years, and insinuate almost daily how dumb they are as a coach but by no means want to fire them, you step up. You at least admit you want to fire every coach who doesn't do what you want them to. 

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Don't you ever have anything positive to say? Football forum, basketball forum, you always express the negative and seem to expect the worst. I don't know if Coach Freeze is a good answer for Auburn or not, but let's give him a chance.

Absolutely have positive things to say when there are some. Just going by what we are seeing. I hope Freeze is the greatest coach Auburn ever has but so far , and it’s has been a short time, he seems to be way over his head. I think we as fans should expect and demand major improvements across the board. We will see soon, good recruiting yes, now do something with it. You would think Auburn fans are tired of mediocrity, excuses and just one more year mentality. With nil and portal teams can turn positive quickly, if they have the right coach.

27 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Absolutely have positive things to say when there are some. Just going by what we are seeing. I hope Freeze is the greatest coach Auburn ever has but so far , and it’s has been a short time, he seems to be way over his head. I think we as fans should expect and demand major improvements across the board. We will see soon, good recruiting yes, now do something with it. You would think Auburn fans are tired of mediocrity, excuses and just one more year mentality. With nil and portal teams can turn positive quickly, if they have the right coach.

We are such a nice fan base.  😇  It's so much more pleasant to sugarcoat things and lay frosty icing over issues.  It's no fun harping on the reality of back-to-back-to-back losing football seasons.  

The future is always bright, great things are happening with everyone in alignment.  🤩

In the end, everything will be fine ~ And if things aren't fine, it's not the end.  🥰🦄😘

If HF and BP are reading the AU forums and give two craps about what I think or anyone else on here thinks, I'll agree. We should fire them both. 

Fans should "expect and demand major improvements...." to who should we demand these things? And if we know the answer, why aren't we complaining and demanding to them, and not a bunch of AU fans on a forum? Both coaches have accounts on X. If you're of a mind to tell them what you think. 

On 3/12/2024 at 1:18 PM, autigeremt said:

Good conversations being had here. The future of college football as we know it are…..complex. 

The worst part is is never had to be. The model sustained for decades and tens of millions tuned in and no one cared that players were not getting publicly paid. I certainly don’t care. That’s their business. Should they be able to accept money from whomever? Absolutely. If they don’t it’s not some crime against humanity. 

I love Auburn. Players and coaches come and go. It’s a developmental league. You’re there for 3-5 years. 

Payton Thorne gets $800K in NIL? That is absolutely radical for him good job. If he made $150K? Cool. Idc. Help Auburn win football games so you can get drafted. 

The conferences and universities unwillingness to adapt and pay players or create revenue sharing program through student employment led to this mess. ESPN certainly has played a vital role in destroying the sport to build NFL Jr.  out of the ashes. I’m kind of over it myself and that’s sad to admit. 

• Like 1

I think as much as tickets, motel, food, gas, etc cost fans, asking us to pony up more money for NIL contributions will be short lived unless we are consistently winning championships. Auburn has CONSISTENTLY shown fans will support our teams, especially when producing. How many times have we heard we have an open check book, going for the best candidates , etc only to see an  underwhelming , safe or lazy hire ? Pearl is by far the best hire we have made in years and the NCAA issues helped JJ seal the deal in my opinion. Look what he has done. We need new leadership with the vision and commitment to hire the best. Instead of swinging for the fences current leadership talks big and swings for the transformers. Hire more coaches like Pearl, the results will come and it will be easier to get fans to contribute to NIL. Until then, there is not a lot more blood left to give. 

On 4/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, TigerOne said:

Absolutely have positive things to say when there are some. Just going by what we are seeing. I hope Freeze is the greatest coach Auburn ever has but so far , and it’s has been a short time, he seems to be way over his head

This is why you can’t be taken seriously.   The guy has coached one season, one!   According to your standard, Pat Dye would have been on your get of rid list after one season.   One season!   Come on man, that’s not even realistic.   And it’s being a sunshine pumper mentality or a negative Nancy thing, it’s just dumb.  Give a guy a few years and if it isn’t working out, you go after another one.   I would be willing to bet that you haven’t given anything to NIL to so call “help with this problem “.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, aubaseball said:

This is why you can’t be taken seriously.   The guy has coached one season, one!   According to your standard, Pat Dye would have been on your get of rid list after one season.   One season!   Come on man, that’s not even realistic.   And it’s being a sunshine pumper mentality or a negative Nancy thing, it’s just dumb.  Give a guy a few years and if it isn’t working out, you go after another one.   I would be willing to bet that you haven’t given anything to NIL to so call “help with this problem “.   

Tuberville was almost gone after four seasons because he was in over his head with a decision to create Nallsminger. Most everybody is in over their head. Coaches will say with the NIL/Portal/Agents, they are all in over their head. 

23 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Nah Coach Dye flat out said what he was going to do and there was no doubt at all he would do it. People respected Dye and knew he was a coach to be feared. Totally different environment now of course. Reality usually sounds negative and no one is saying not to give Freeze a chance. He has 1-2 years to show he knows what he’s doing. That will be 3 under his belt. Personality wise Freeze ain’t no Dye, unfortunately.

nil? Seriously, fans held hostage for ransom. You would be better off playing the lottery, the roi from the nil is negative. The player can up and leave whenever. Remember Bo Nix nil? Wonder what happened to that cash?

Edited by TigerOne

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

nil? Seriously, fans held hostage for ransom. You would be better off playing the lottery, the roi from the nil is negative. The player can up and leave whenever. Remember Bo Nix nil? Wonder what happened to that cash?

I’m not a fan of collectives but if some company wants to use a player as advertisement for that company or product, have at it.    As far as Bo, I only heard of Milo’s .   I don’t have a problem with that.    Players leaving is a completely different circumstance and conversation.    
You speak out of both sides of your mouth when it comes to coaches.   You knew nothing of Pat Dye until after he was already established at Auburn.   And he definitely wasn’t a sure fire hire.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not a fan of collectives but if some company wants to use a player as advertisement for that company or product, have at it.    As far as Bo, I only heard of Milo’s .   I don’t have a problem with that.    Players leaving is a completely different circumstance and conversation.    
You speak out of both sides of your mouth when it comes to coaches.   You knew nothing of Pat Dye until after he was already established at Auburn.   And he definitely wasn’t a sure fire hire.    

As long as you aren’t writing the check,  and the endless solicitation of paying up or else.

Used to coaches developed players and built them up to win with loyalty, dedication, determination and commitment and accountability through coaching.

Now it’s whoever can buy the best players with the assistants doing the heavy lifting and the head coach selling the program.

Edited by TigerOne

It is past time that adults were in charge once again.  Nobody is forcing anyone to play college sports.  If a scholarship and a healthy stipend isn't enough, then don't play.

• Like 4

What I get ticked about is when people invest tons of money either personally or by a business into NIL, and the freakin University uses a competitive business in front of your face. I mean, why would we still be giving this money to these kids? We get NO return on investment.  

the kids will eventually be employees of the university. Has to move to that to make it make sense. 

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

What I get ticked about is when people invest tons of money either personally or by a business into NIL, and the freakin University uses a competitive business in front of your face. I mean, why would we still be giving this money to these kids? We get NO return on investment.  

the kids will eventually be employees of the university. Has to move to that to make it make sense. 

Don’t even get a tax break like you do giving to the University or being a TUF member.

18 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Used to coaches developed players and built them up to win with loyalty, dedication, determination and commitment and accountability through coaching.

Yes. But you forgot the part of how many of those coaches up and bolted for more money and greener pastures for their own benefit and eagerly left the kid they had commitments to and relationships with behind. The players now have the same option the coach has. 

• Like 4

On 4/8/2024 at 5:25 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Yes. But you forgot the part of how many of those coaches up and bolted for more money and greener pastures for their own benefit and eagerly left the kid they had commitments to and relationships with behind. The players now have the same option the coach has. 

The problem is that the ability to transfer can't be unlimited.  If a head coach leaves, then allow the players on that team a one time transfer in addition to a transfer without penalty during their years of eligibility. 

Congress needs to do the right thing and grant an exemption to college athletics from anti trust litigation.  That would put a stop to extortion type litigation and allow NIL to be regulated.  NIL should not be available to prospective student athletes.  That would remove NIL abuse from recruiting.

Arguments that players should be paid based on the profitability of the sport they play or because their coaches make so much money are not rational.  That is how the world is.  I know of no job where the untrained employees are entitled to a fair share of their employer's profits.

Edited by AU9377