NIL Fatigue

AUGoo

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

I detest the man but the reality is he had nothing left to prove. Why mess with this crap when more fans than not consider you the goat of college coaching? I’d have done the exact same thing and live the rest of my life in the sun, sand, and waves lol. 

Right ? I mean they loss in the semifinals of the playoffs when people were predicting they wouldn’t even win the SEC. With that being said, I hate the hypocrisy coming from him when it relates to this topic. I do agree it needs to be regulated to a point where it benefits both parties. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 10:27 AM, aucom96 said:

Saban protests too much, but it's a problem any college coach is now going to face. How do you coach a guy you're paying close to or more than a million that can cut and run at any time? How do you install an offense, defense when the change could take a big gouge out of your roster if the players don't want to adjust? How do you continue to keep rich boosters handing over more and more cash only to start over again every single season? 

It's unsustainable. It's not parity. Already, we're seeing the same names excelling in recruiting because they always had more booster money dedicated maniacally to football success. The other teams are just going to invest less and not only will the level of competition drop the level of football is going to as well because players can leave at any time and will continue to do so. The only solution is to try and impose some kind of professional structure onto college football with contracts, agents, trade agreements, etc. and that means B-grade pro ball. And B-grade pro ball has never been very successful. 

Exactly. If they are going to get paid to play the sport, there should be contracts to honor and other intricacies. It’s semi-pro now, so treat them as such and do away with all the back and forth transfer crap. Make this reality across the board and it might at least stop kids from bolting after one year, especially the superstars. It’s just no fun anymore. The pomp and circumstance of rivalries is fading and the loyalties have been gone. The sport is now what it wanted, a professional football league for college kids. 

• Like 2

The only way to regulate this is to make the athletes employees of the university and sign a 1-2 year contract. 

23 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

The only way to regulate this is to make the athletes employees of the university and sign a 1-2 year contract. 

I'm not clear on what the intricacies of that might be but it would be better than what's going on now.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 2:17 PM, AUY2K said:

Move to contracts with non-compete clauses.  It's a business decision, and athletes want professional level compensation.  They can operate under professional level employment contracts just like the rest of the business world.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Who didn’t see this coming? When nil first started you could see it as a rich get richer scenario and donors held hostage for ransom. You either pay or this guy is going somewhere else.

Every year donors will get that friendly letter reminding them your payment is due and we really need more .

no more school loyalty, no more commitment at least beyond the current year, no more team chemistry that takes seasons to build.

Basketball is hanging on but it’s coming, see how many teams opted out of the nit tournament?

All you suckers write that check or else!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Move to contracts with non-compete clauses.  It's a business decision, and athletes want professional level compensation.  They can operate under professional level employment contracts just like the rest of the business world.  

But only one - two year contracts. Business works both ways. You no longer get a 4 year guarantee if you're any number of high profile 4 stars that fail to live up to your rankings and can skate to a free college degree. Those days should be over, too. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 2:17 PM, AUY2K said:

And unionize, with collective bargaining agreements, and salary caps.

17 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Who didn’t see this coming? When nil first started you could see it as a rich get richer scenario and donors held hostage for ransom. You either pay or this guy is going somewhere else.

Every year donors will get that friendly letter reminding them your payment is due and we really need more .

no more school loyalty, no more commitment at least beyond the current year, no more team chemistry that takes seasons to build.

Basketball is hanging on but it’s coming, see how many teams opted out of the nit tournament?

All you suckers write that check or else!

A lot of huge decisions are made based on emotion without a lot of foresight.  This was another one of those decisions.

9 minutes ago, fishepa said:

A lot of huge decisions are made based on emotion without a lot of foresight.  This was another one of those decisions.

Unintended consequences caused by a lack of foresight. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fishepa said:

The Supreme Court of the United States is the entity that opened this can of worms. College sports organizations are going to have to figure out how to fix this mess and still stay within the law. It won't be simple or easy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

The Supreme Court of the United States is the entity that opened this can of worms. College sports organizations are going to have to figure out how to fix this mess and still stay within the law. It won't be simple or easy.

The NCAA opened this can of worms by refusing to address the concerns of many institutions regarding elite athletes. They did this so their members would not have to provide any benefits, even after the player leaves in the case of injuries and such. It just so happens they were challenged and got caught. Now they HAVE to address it. But they are all doing a poor job at it so far.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

And unionize, with collective bargaining agreements, and salary caps.

All unions do not have salary caps!! That would be on the table during negotiations. Lol

On 3/19/2024 at 11:11 AM, JerryAU said:

Agreed. And make the terms of those contracts public for all to see like the other pro sports leagues. Colleges are loving not having to disclose how much they’re paying these guys fight now. 

49 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

All unions do not have salary caps!! That would be on the table during negotiations. Lol

Of course.  The NFL model has been reasonably successful and, IMO has to be used in the collegiate world. 

BTW, what are you referencing by your lol?

18 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. And make the terms of those contracts public for all to see like the other pro sports leagues. Colleges are loving not having to disclose how much they’re paying these guys fight now. 

Has anyone seen an actual NIL contract between a student-athlete and a collective?  Rumors float around that some kids are getting up in the millions at certain programs before the kid ever enrolls.  And prospects get $10,000 just to visit a campus before he even throws out an arbitrary commitment that means absolutely nothing. 

Someone tell me how effective a position coach be if he's making less than the players he's training.  A 35 yr old Dline coach is pulling $650,000/yr and he could easily have an 18 yr old 5* lineman pulling $750,000/yr.  OR a star QB is making more than his +40 yr old offensive coordinator & QB coach who have decades of experience in the profession. :dead:  

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Has anyone seen an actual NIL contract between a student-athlete and a collective?  Rumors float around that some kids are getting up in the millions at certain programs before the kid ever enrolls.  And prospects get $10,000 just to visit a campus before he even throws out an arbitrary commitment that means absolutely nothing. 

Someone tell me how effective a position coach be if he's making less than the players he's training.  A 35 yr old Dline coach is pulling $650,000/yr and he could easily have an 18 yr old 5* lineman pulling $750,000/yr.  OR a star QB is making more than his +40 yr old offensive coordinator & QB coach who have decades of experience in the profession. :dead:  

It's a sad situation, but not sustainable. Either the schools will do something or the donors will stop being donors. This crap won't last long.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's a sad situation, but not sustainable. Either the schools will do something or the donors will stop being donors. This crap won't last long.

Think of this, Mikey. If you're right, then this would mean the Fed Government stays out of it , and the union part is tied up in court, players will get some money across the board and a scholarship. The money will have to be set by the conference, however they decide to do it . 

Then.......the bag men and the cheating starts all over again. The more things change......

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Think of this, Mikey. If you're right, then this would mean the Fed Government stays out of it , and the union part is tied up in court, players will get some money across the board and a scholarship. The money will have to be set by the conference, however they decide to do it . 

Then.......the bag men and the cheating starts all over again. The more things change......

You forget the IRS. They will be all over it.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:07 PM, Mike4AU said:

Of course.  The NFL model has been reasonably successful and, IMO has to be used in the collegiate world. 

BTW, what are you referencing by your lol?

The difficulty of establishing salary caps in CFB would be much more complicated IMO. NFL model is based off of a calculation of some profit margin if I am not mistaken. My Lol was intended to try to show my comment was not combatant or argumentative. Nothing else was intended. Sorry, probably was not a good fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

The difficulty of establishing salary caps in CFB would be much more complicated IMO. NFL model is based off of a calculation of some profit margin if I am not mistaken. My Lol was intended to try to show my comment was not combatant or argumentative. Nothing else was intended. Sorry, probably was not a good fit.

Good deal.  With respect to the possibility of Congress coming up with an improved plan to deal with this mess, I have zero hope for such. There are some smart folks in Congress, but both sides of the aisle working together just won’t happen. 

8 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

There are some smart folks in Congress

Maybe a very few that don't have the last name Paul. But I doubt it's 'some' . 

I know, no politics. I'm out...

If they start becoming employees then they should pay for their classes, books, etc like normal employees would.  There is no transparency in the NIL.  It is shady as you can see what some teams did this year. (USC, OSU, etc) So there should be some sort of revenue sharing. These kids can sign that deal with the conference.  That way there are rules involved, transferring, etc.  Take the NCAA out of it.  Now if that starts happening then these kids should start paying for their expenses. Gotta learn about the world in some sort of fashion.  So yeah if they leave they have to transfer outside of the conference or whatever the rules need to be.

I think (and am afraid) that at some point, college football players won't be required to attend college. 

Instead, each college will have an "affiliated team", which is made up of players being paid but not required to attend the affiliated college (or any college).

11 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I think (and am afraid) that at some point, college football players won't be required to attend college. 

Instead, each college will have an "affiliated team", which is made up of players being paid but not required to attend the affiliated college (or any college).

That would be a sad day.