NCAA run

I stopped doing a bunch of posting because I didn't want to have pointless arguments every game.

Here we are now, this is what I've been waiting for and I'm sure you all have seen me say this game doesn't really matter, it's all about tuning up for the tourney.

I'll keep it short the bad stuff with us, still we are inconsistent as far as guard play. I wouldn't say we have any dynamic guards. And I don't think we have good depth as far as trustworthy ball handlers. We can't let any team get too far up on us, we HAVE to control tempo and we do that by our defense. I also worry about just having a guy with the role as far as a big shot taker and maker.

The good, we are built for this style tourney. We are deep deep deep. We can send guys at people defensively in waves and keep our guys fresh. We are long, we have some experience. We don't rely on free throws, we have a great post presence, we can rebound. All of this is great.

We will go deep if enough of our strengths click for us at the same time. Our best thing we have is versatility on both sides of the ball. We can trap, switch, man up, protect the paint and basically keep the same personnel in. 

I still pretty much feel everything I said at the beginning of the year. With the additions if CBM and Chaney it put us in an entire stratosphere of things we can do defensively. I feel like if we do anything special it's going to be spearheaded by our defense. 

I have more thoughts but trying to keep this fairly short. I'm really really hoping we make a run in this and everything clicks at the right time! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I worry the most about Holloway just because this is all new to him.  My hope is that Broome, Williams, Cardwell et al can keep him loose.  I can't put KD in that group because he's pure adrenalin all the time 🙂 Hopefully the SEC tournament acclimated him a little.  Regardless, I agree that AU will go as far as the guard play takes them.  If Aden and/or Trey turn the ball over a lot then AU's stay in Spokane will not last long.

In the event of playing UConn, Jaylin really needs to win the Karaban matchup  and we gotta hope Broome rises to an even higher level to consistently score on Clingan

Their guards are way too athletic and big for us to win that one on the perimeter imo 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I stopped doing a bunch of posting because I didn't want to have pointless arguments every game.

Here we are now, this is what I've been waiting for and I'm sure you all have seen me say this game doesn't really matter, it's all about tuning up for the tourney.

I'll keep it short the bad stuff with us, still we are inconsistent as far as guard play. I wouldn't say we have any dynamic guards. And I don't think we have good depth as far as trustworthy ball handlers. We can't let any team get too far up on us, we HAVE to control tempo and we do that by our defense. I also worry about just having a guy with the role as far as a big shot taker and maker.

The good, we are built for this style tourney. We are deep deep deep. We can send guys at people defensively in waves and keep our guys fresh. We are long, we have some experience. We don't rely on free throws, we have a great post presence, we can rebound. All of this is great.

We will go deep if enough of our strengths click for us at the same time. Our best thing we have is versatility on both sides of the ball. We can trap, switch, man up, protect the paint and basically keep the same personnel in. 

I still pretty much feel everything I said at the beginning of the year. With the additions if CBM and Chaney it put us in an entire stratosphere of things we can do defensively. I feel like if we do anything special it's going to be spearheaded by our defense. 

I have more thoughts but trying to keep this fairly short. I'm really really hoping we make a run in this and everything clicks at the right time! 

Excellent post!!

I was trying to talk myself into it..... Guard play man. If we could have just had mediocre guard play we could have really done something........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I was trying to talk myself into it..... Guard play man. If we could have just had mediocre guard play we could have really done something........

You literally called it. That was tough  to watch. 

• Like 1

If u would have just got the South Carolina performance. Only had 5 turnovers and just manage the game

12 hours ago, e808 said:

If u would have just got the South Carolina performance. Only had 5 turnovers and just manage the game

That stretch of 4 straight possessions with a turnover killed any chance of seizing the control at the end.  I believe there was like 6 mins left about then and we were still up 8. They missed a few shots but my goodness if we get a couple of buckets there, it's out of reach. 

22 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That stretch of 4 straight possessions with a turnover killed any chance of seizing the control at the end.  I believe there was like 6 mins left about then and we were still up 8. They missed a few shots but my goodness if we get a couple of buckets there, it's out of reach. 

It was imperative that we come out in the second half and pushed the lead. When they erased it in like 3 minutes I knew it then. I knew if it was close at the end it would be a wrap for us

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

It’s amazing to me this has to be said literally after every season since the Final Four run. We simply seem to refuse to bring in what’s needed at the position. Extremely frustrating. 

Congrats to the team and to Coach Pearl for a great season and winning the SEC tourney. Let's all remember that BBP (Before Bruce Pearl) we were a perennial cellar dweller in the SEC. He's been incredible to our program.

I always thought that getting even to the sweet 16 in the NCAA was a stretch based on the way we played all season. Cutting down the nets at the SEC tourney was epic in my opinion.

Given two choices... Choice 1 - SEC tourney champs and out of the NCAA in round 1. Choice 2- out of the SEC tourney in the semi's or something and making to the sweet 16.. 

I'll take choice 1 all day. Cutting down the nets in any significant event is better than going half way in some other event. Few people ever remember that you went to the sweet 16, except hard core fans. Winning the SEC tourney puts up a banner and trophies in the case.

I for one will celebrate a great season and the future looks pretty good for AU in many sports, but basketball included.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

It’s amazing to me this has to be said literally after every season since the Final Four run. We simply seem to refuse to bring in what’s needed at the position. Extremely frustrating. 

The Auburn curse pulses strongly through our veins as it flows from one program to the next. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Just a position with a ton of close misses in HS recruiting and not a ton of success in the transfer portal. You go back and look at some of what they've had play PG from the TP - J'von, Samir (out of necessity), Jamal (nominally), Wen - it hasn't been great. I'll give the qualifier that almost all of those came after they lost out on a HS guy and had to scramble, but there hasn't appeared to be great backup plans. 

1 hour ago, gabo4au said:

Congrats to the team and to Coach Pearl for a great season and winning the SEC tourney. Let's all remember that BBP (Before Bruce Pearl) we were a perennial cellar dweller in the SEC. He's been incredible to our program.

I always thought that getting even to the sweet 16 in the NCAA was a stretch based on the way we played all season. Cutting down the nets at the SEC tourney was epic in my opinion.

Given two choices... Choice 1 - SEC tourney champs and out of the NCAA in round 1. Choice 2- out of the SEC tourney in the semi's or something and making to the sweet 16.. 

I'll take choice 1 all day. Cutting down the nets in any significant event is better than going half way in some other event. Few people ever remember that you went to the sweet 16, except hard core fans. Winning the SEC tourney puts up a banner and trophies in the case.

I for one will celebrate a great season and the future looks pretty good for AU in many sports, but basketball included.

Eventually gonna have to move past the thinking of before the Bruce Pearls years because it wasn’t all bad. Before the bad stretch you had Barkley, Porter, Morris and the Person brothers. Bruce has made the jungle a place no one wants to play but with the right coach who has energy and passion the building will keep that energy. 

Not saying fire CBP but making a statement to fear of years before him 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Maybe BP will do something about it this off season.  History says he won't. I guess it remains to be seen. What's frustrating is we didn't need elite guard play this year. Just mediocre- good. Even w/o CBM yesterday,  if we get mediocre PG play we win by double digits

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

In the tourney 9 times out of 10 the team whose guards play the best are going to win. Can't dispute it, can't beat it..... Jay wright said it last night. His great Villanova teams that won championships great guard play. 

Not saying that means big guys don't matter. Just saying tourney ball is sort of geared towards guards

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

It was imperative that we come out in the second half and pushed the lead. When they erased it in like 3 minutes I knew it then. I knew if it was close at the end it would be a wrap for us

Completely agreed.  We were up 7 with the ball.  Get in doubles and we likely free ourselves up a bit to try and push the pace.  Am a bit surprised we allowed them to dictate pace so much.  They actually weren't as impressive defensively as I thought they might be.  The big man was definitely not as forceful as I thought. 

40 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just a position with a ton of close misses in HS recruiting and not a ton of success in the transfer portal. You go back and look at some of what they've had play PG from the TP - J'von, Samir (out of necessity), Jamal (nominally), Wen - it hasn't been great. I'll give the qualifier that almost all of those came after they lost out on a HS guy and had to scramble, but there hasn't appeared to be great backup plans. 

And then when we have one like Cooper, he must miss half the year lol

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Eventually gonna have to move past the thinking of before the Bruce Pearls years because it wasn’t all bad. Before the bad stretch you had Barkley, Porter, Morris and the Person brothers. Bruce has made the jungle a place no one wants to play but with the right coach who has energy and passion the building will keep that energy. 

I was there when Barkley was there... We're going to have to move past the thinking that those were the golden years. It really wasn't anything close to like it is now. It's very hard to pull a program out of the depths, much harder than maintaining. Turning around a perpetual losing mindset is the stuff of legends. It amazes me that everyone wants to minimize what CBP has done. We have a few good seasons because of CBP and everyone thinks we can be Duke or Kansas with a new coach.. But maybe they're right, we've had a bunch of new FB coaches and become Duke and Kansas in FB, so there's that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gabo4au said:

I was there when Barkley was there... We're going to have to move past the thinking that those were the golden years. It really wasn't anything close to like it is now. It's very hard to pull a program out of the depths, much harder than maintaining. Turning around a perpetual losing mindset is the stuff of legends. It amazes me that everyone wants to minimize what CBP has done. We have a few good seasons because of CBP and everyone thinks we can be Duke or Kansas with a new coach.. But maybe they're right, we've had a bunch of new FB coaches and become Duke and Kansas in FB, so there's that. 

It may not have been the golden years but Auburn had some exciting team. Again the CBP era looks good because of how putrid the previous coaches were. The biggest reason for the change is Auburn decided to put some money into the program . CBP is a top five paid coach and eventually people gonna want better results 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

And then when we have one like Cooper, he must miss half the year lol

Well Sharife was a HS recruit, and I just think the recruiting there has to be a different conversation. Been some real tragedies on that front 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e808 said:

There were some great years and times under Sonny Smith and Cliff Ellis.

• Like 1