Baseball vs. Tennessee series

We gave up 12 HRs in the last 2 games.   In years past we had a Mize or a Thompson that you knew was going to win their game.    2 years ago Gonzo was that guy.  You knew going into any series he was likely to win his game and if you won one of the other two you won the series.   Last year we paid him a lot of our NIL allotment, and he pitched just 5 innings all year.   This year he is at least toeing the rubber, but he has suddenly become very average.   We are currently 2-10 in the SEC.   If Gonzo were right we would be 5-7 and nationally ranked.

12 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Is it that we miss Hudson that much or talent?  Maybe both?  Idk.  Right now, it’s bad agreed. 

The loss of Hudson hurt some. But our pitchers have little in the way of swing and miss stuff. Our guys who throw 95-96 are getting squared up on because everything is flat. The mental approach is off too, in my opinion. Stuff like walking bottom of order guys on non competitive pitches and flipping the lineup will crush you in this league. Most bothersome to me is we cannot count on the upperclassmen pitchers at all. 

Also of note (and very similar to football) our rivals are bigger, thicker, and stronger at almost every position. UT and TAMU players look MLB size. 

On a more positive note, Ike Irish and Cooper McMurray are having monster seasons. Irish is one of the best all round baseball players I have seen at AU. Maners and Weiss are also having excellent seasons. And Tilly has performed very well on the mound for a freshman. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it time to hit the “panic” button?

• Like 1

Memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall there are “state of Alabama” stipulations that limit scholarships in baseball…I’m a bit aged, so I might be making that up…..Regardless, is seems Auburn baseball is always swimming upstream.

Also seems baseball gets the leftovers on NIL money. That is a crappy game but the need to ante up is real…for now.

12 minutes ago, tomcat said:

“state of Alabama”

Correct. The ever progressive state legislature of Alabama has decided to not allow the evils of a Lottery thus forgoing the scholarships players in other states receive. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The loss of Hudson hurt some. But our pitchers have little in the way of swing and miss stuff. Our guys who throw 95-96 are getting squared up on because everything is flat. The mental approach is off too, in my opinion. Stuff like walking bottom of order guys on non competitive pitches and flipping the lineup will crush you in this league. Most bothersome to me is we cannot count on the upperclassmen pitchers at all. 

Also of note (and very similar to football) our rivals are bigger, thicker, and stronger at almost every position. UT and TAMU players look MLB size. 

On a more positive note, Ike Irish and Cooper McMurray are having monster seasons. Irish is one of the best all round baseball players I have seen at AU. Maners and Weiss are also having excellent seasons. And Tilly has performed very well on the mound for a freshman. 

Thanks for the positive note but it doesn’t help my frustrations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks for the positive note but it doesn’t help my frustrations.

Me neither. I’m ready to see Butch make some mound visits. He needs to shorten the leash on some guys. And it’s bothersome to see transfers from Miami-Ohio, UAB, and Jax St outperform guys who have been at AU for several seasons. It’s just frustrating to be an AU sports fan these past few years. 

• Like 5