Any UK players we want?

After the surprising announcement that Calipari is leaving UK to coach Arky, are there any UK players that we can get to transfer to AU?   I know the 7 footer Bradshaw has already entered the portal after a disappointing FR year.   (could be a career trajectory similar to Kessler?🤷‍♂️).  Any others that could be a good fit for us?   What are your thoughts?

Like to see UK's Dillingham hit the portal.  He's got the talent to be a great SG.   However, filling the holes likely to be left in our bigs is a higher priority.

I'm sure they will just transfer to Arky.

He already recruited the guys worthwhile to follow him to Arkansas, and Dill/Sheppard/Reeves are done with college ball. I think they had some interesting 5s, but if we get Broome back, none of them are coming to be a backup I’d imagine 

Our NIL for basketball won't come near what Ky can offer. We cannot lure any of those guys.

Edited by Mikey

I'm not sure if we even take a good look at transfers from the power programs. CBP seems to prefer recruiting players from Mid level or lower schools, and has done pretty well for the most part. Besides being less expensive, these kids are working hard to take a step up.  Kessler from UNC was probably just an anomaly plus a good relationship developed over several years. KD from UGA probably happened because KD's style doesn't really fit at many places. One reason for going hard after long shot recruits and making  the final two or three for  legit. 5* HS kids is it could give us a leg up if they decide to transfer after a couple of  years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, autan said:

I'm not sure if we even take a good look at transfers from the power programs. CBP seems to prefer recruiting players from Mid level or lower schools, and has done pretty well for the most part. Besides being less expensive, these kids are working hard to take a step up.  Kessler from UNC was probably just an anomaly plus a good relationship developed over several years. KD from UGA probably happened because KD's style doesn't really fit at many places. One reason for going hard after long shot recruits and making  the final two or three for  legit. 5* HS kids is it could give us a leg up if they decide to transfer after a couple of  years.

Good point.  We need to consider what UT did Dalton Knecht from Northern Colorado (Big Sky Conference).  Plus Pearl did well with CBM, Broome, Samir Doughty, Wendell Greene, etc.   There is a lot of talent to tap besides the 5* one-and-done types.

Interesting that Aden Holloway is going to hit the portal, considering that he was not far from being a bust in his freshman year (and I don't put that on the AU coaching staff, he just isn't physical enough to compete at a high level, yet).

• Like 1

We don't need to worry about getting players from UK...

We need to worry about UK getting our coach!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gabo4au said:

We don't need to worry about getting players from UK...

Pearl may not want that kind of insanity & micro-scruitinizing every decision and word out of his mouth.  Not to mention all the one and done 5* recruits that came for the NIL and not for the coaching.  Dillingham has already announced for the NBA.   UK is the ultimate hot-seat job.  Besides, all the UK talk is around Billy Donovan, Dan Hurley, Nate Oats, Petino, Scott Drew, etc.  They even had Chris Beard on their list.  Pearl is on their list but not high on their list.  I think they go after a different personality profile.  Pearl is a bit more charismatic, colorful, creative & blue collar for KY fans.  UK tilts toward the snobby side/ white collar side.  

Edited by BizEagle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gabo4au said:

They won't offer and if offered, Pearl wouldn't accept.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I think they’ll look for someone younger than Pearl.  bama might need to be worried about them snatching up their coach.   nate (as much as I don’t like him) would be a terror at UK.   

And honestly, IF somehow the Lord sees fit to bless us with one more year of Broome and Cardwell, we will just need one or two G transfers (depending on what Tre decides), and one transfer at the 4.   If Broome, Cardwell, and Tre all leave, we will need a miraculous portal season in order to have a good team next year.  

18 hours ago, Mikey said:

I love the confidence. But UK is a blue blood. There’s a ton of reasons for Pearl to stay put. There’s also some reasons for him to leave. And ever since the unexpected moves of Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley, I have no idea what’s in Pearl’s head. 

Don't know about UK players, but I think CBP should be looking at a few Duke players that might be interested in transferring:  Duke roster  Specifically, they have a couple of 6-9 Freshman (this year) that could be looking for more playing time once Cooper Flagg joins that team.  Plus, they also have three(!) 7-footers that are all underclassmen.  Maybe ... just one of those might be looking for some additional playing time as well.  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 10:45 AM, AUpreacherman22 said:

After the surprising announcement that Calipari is leaving UK to coach Arky, are there any UK players that we can get to transfer to AU?   I know the 7 footer Bradshaw has already entered the portal after a disappointing FR year.   (could be a career trajectory similar to Kessler?🤷‍♂️).  Any others that could be a good fit for us?   What are your thoughts?

I think any of them as long as they fit the culture. Cal always brought in the talent and I'd like to see some of it thrive in Pearl's system. 

I mean UK basically put all the heat on Cal for early exits, doubt they would be looking at Pearl based on the recent track record.

On 4/9/2024 at 6:38 AM, Mikey said:

Our NIL for basketball won't come near what Ky can offer. We cannot lure any of those guys.

A Jordan Sneaker Being Revealed Underneath A Curtain Air Movie GIF - A Jordan Sneaker Being Revealed Underneath A Curtain Air Movie Air GIFs

The swoosh makes me think differently. Sure UK's donors will always prioritize bball over football while ours are likely vice versa, but I think Bruce lands at least one of the following over the likes of UK. 

image.png

image.png

Edited by HAPvsOA

Do they have any good dribble shooters left?

On 4/9/2024 at 5:55 PM, Mikey said:

Hope we keep Pearl and he has the ability to find our much needed guards and any missing pieces in the portal soon.

On 4/9/2024 at 3:43 PM, BizEagle said:

Besides, all the UK talk is around Billy Donovan, Dan Hurley, Nate Oats, Petino, Scott Drew, etc.

Billy Donovan at UK would be unfortunate for the rest of the SEC.

15 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

A Jordan Sneaker Being Revealed Underneath A Curtain Air Movie GIF - A Jordan Sneaker Being Revealed Underneath A Curtain Air Movie Air GIFs

The swoosh makes me think differently. Sure UK's donors will always prioritize bball over football while ours are likely vice versa, but I think Bruce lands at least one of the following over the likes of UK. 

image.png

image.png

Dang! These guys need to spend a lot more time at the dinner table.

23 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

image.png

image.png

Yea.  I did a thing when AU Basketball announced the deal.  😆 

Screenshot_20240411_170049_X.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yea.  I did a thing when AU Basketball announced the deal.  😆 

Screenshot_20240411_170049_X.jpg

Calipari leaving likely effects Jasper the most.  He has such strong ties with being a legacy at UK and close to home.  But he's a big Nike guy. He's not afraid to move on though.  He moved to Missouri to play at Link this year.  Now I do wonder if it opens up Arkansas though. Being he's close to there now. 

Edited by AUBwins