Columbia is a mess

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

So, the Palestinians should give up their land, move to Egypt in order to live?  Your "justification" is nonsensical or,,, completely disingenuous.

I never said that.  I simply pointed out the fact that there are so many militants embedded in the general population that Egypt won't even allow mothers and children to come into Egypt for humanitarian reasons.  Egypt doesn't care if a pregnant woman in need of medical attention shows up at the border, she isn't allowed to enter.  It doesn't take much reasoning to know the answer as to why.

I think Columbia’s President needs to say, bluntly, we will not give in to your demands, we will not divest from Israel and while we tolerate a diversity of viewpoints, if you promote or support violence or wish to attend an institution that divests from Israel, this University is not for you. And for those thinking of coming to Columbia, know that we will not be bullied by these tactics and if support such tactics, go elsewhere. Any university “negotiating” with these students is making a mistake.

I do wonder on a number of campuses, how many non-students are joining this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I think Columbia’s President needs to say, bluntly, we will not give in to your demands, we will not divest from Israel and while we tolerate a diversity of viewpoints, if you promote or support violence or wish to attend an institution that divests from Israel, this University is not for you. And for those thinking of coming to Columbia, know that we will not be bullied by these tactics and if support such tactics, go elsewhere. Any university “negotiating” with these students is making a mistake.

Yeah, I do wonder why Columbia is being so weak on this. Not like they're struggling to find people that want to go there.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Columbia seems to receive government funding; why doesn’t title 6 of the Civil rights act apply?

Title VI and Race, Color or National Origin Discrimination

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance. Title VI states that:

No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.

The Title VI implementing regulations (Volume 34, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 100) provide a detailed discussion of discrimination prohibited by Title VI.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/hq43e4.html

43 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Columbia seems to receive government funding; why doesn’t title 6 of the Civil rights act apply?

Title VI and Race, Color or National Origin Discrimination

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance. Title VI states that:

No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.

The Title VI implementing regulations (Volume 34, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 100) provide a detailed discussion of discrimination prohibited by Title VI.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/hq43e4.html

Let's assume that it does apply fully.  The next question would be what action or inaction on the part of the school fostered the development of an atmosphere wherein violations occurred.  Many of those protesting are not students.  That is a problem.  Also, the constitutional rights are balanced and applied on a student to student basis.  At the end of the day, this isn't an issue that anyone wants to have to litigate.  The problem is so new that most campuses are still formulating a response.

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Let's assume that it does apply fully.  The next question would be what action or inaction on the part of the school fostered the development of an atmosphere wherein violations occurred.  Many of those protesting are not students.  That is a problem.  Also, the constitutional rights are balanced and applied on a student to student basis.  At the end of the day, this isn't an issue that anyone wants to have to litigate.  The problem is so new that most campuses are still formulating a response.

Does the fact that it is happening on the campus, students or not, have a bearing?  I would guess the only thing the government can do is stop government funding, but the resistance of the Columbia is concerning.  It is said antisemitism is unacceptable, but it seems like we are accepting it.

This is quickly becoming more than a Columbia issue. It’s even hitting southern region. Ie there's arrests at Emory today.

41 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

This is quickly becoming more than a Columbia issue. It’s even hitting southern region. Ie there's arrests at Emory today.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I am on campus at Emory today.  The vast majority of those protesting were trespassing.  They were not students.  My understanding is that 2 faculty members were also arrested.  This is the same "Cop City" protest crowd and will not be tolerated at Emory. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I am on campus at Emory today.  The vast majority of those protesting were trespassing.  They were not students.  My understanding is that 2 faculty members were also arrested.  This is the same "Cop City" protest crowd and will not be tolerated at Emory. 

Are you protesting?😉

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

We don’t see what went on before, but this seems excessive, don’t you think?

26 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

That video will get a life of its own. 

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Yep.

Tip - Try to avoid gang tackling a woman philosophy professor at a university with one of the better law schools in the country. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Tip - Try to avoid gang tackling a woman philosophy professor at a university with one of the better law schools in the country. 

The repeated profanity suggests he was vindicative- something she said? Perhaps contact? Regardless, very bad look.

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Tenure may save her job, but it won't erase the stain this will be on her career.  The Stop Cop City crowd is not a crowd someone wants to be associated with.

Edited by AU9377

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Absolutely.  They could have walked her to a car and placed her in the back or the wagon. 

58 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

They chose to stage this protest at Emory because of who makes up a large part of the student body. Approximately 30% of the student body is Jewish.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Are you protesting?😉

Someone stole my tent! LOL

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Tenure may save her job, but it won't erase the stain this will be on her career.  The Stop Cop City crowd is not a crowd someone wants to be associated with.

Do you have details about any involvement on her part you believe will stain her career?

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Do you have details about any involvement on her part you believe will stain her career?

No... just hearing tons of people question why she was involved at all.  For all I know, she could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The worst idea a group protesting could possibly have is to associate themselves with the group attempting to stop the City of Atlanta's new law enforcement training center from being built.  They have a history of violence and get very little benefit of the doubt when it comes to their actions.

Emory's campus is likely the most pro Israel campus in the Southeast.  The undergrad student body is around 30% Jewish and the professional schools, medicine, law etc are similar.