Hate is not voluntary

20 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

My apologies if I'm completely off base here. But I think he was speaking on trans, not LGB.

It's weird that it's considered part of the same as LGB are sexualities, whereas T is a personal identity.

Also, T is the only one where a child might be coerced into going through life altering procedures.

That's not what I meant. I enjoy your posts on the football forum so we probably shouldn't get into it. 

But I don't believe there is a close to significant number of children being coerced into being transgender and going through life altering procedures. 

Honestly, this thread is wild to me as a whole. As usual, @aubiefiftyposted something well meaning and harmless. Then you have one guy calling LGBTQ a social contagion that will lead to the demise of civilization, a random insertion about anti-semites, gay panic about half of high school kids being LGBTQ, and someone that thinks gays should stay in the closet until after high school. 

Little too much for me. Hence my facetious response to @I_M4_AU

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, cbo said:

That's not what I meant. I enjoy your posts on the football forum so we probably shouldn't get into it. 

But I don't believe there is a close to significant number of children being coerced into being transgender and going through life altering procedures. 

Honestly, this thread is wild to me as a whole. As usual, @aubiefiftyposted something well meaning and harmless. Then you have one guy calling LGBTQ a social contagion that will lead to the demise of civilization, a random insertion about anti-semites, gay panic about half of high school kids being LGBTQ, and someone that thinks gays should stay in the closet until after high school. 

I’ve often wondered if this topic belongs on a political forum. It’s more of a cultural and, for many, personal issue. I recognize there are legal and therefore political consequences, but it’s not Ukraine, the deficit, or even politicians shooting puppies. It’s pretty private stuff.

The never ending consequences of friggin bud light.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’ve often wondered if this topic belongs on a political forum. It’s more of a cultural and, for many, personal issue. I recognize there are legal and therefore political consequences, but it’s not Ukraine, the deficit, or even politicians shooting puppies. It’s pretty private stuff.

I wish it wasn't political. I'd much rather the politicians stay out of bedrooms, stop inciting voters with morality issues (on both sides), and do their damn jobs. 

You remain insightful and level-headed. I haven't visited the political side of this forum in a while, mostly because I fail to maintain the latter. But I've read a bit today, and your posts, with which I often fundamentally disagree, are always worthwhile. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cbo said:

In a response to a post about about a gay kid, you said earlier that it is best to wait until after teenage years to "choose" the lifestyle that suits you. 

Then you said there are people in their 60s that still haven't come to grips with their decision. 

So I was wondering what age you think it is appropriate for gays to choose to live a gay "lifestyle."

It is obviously an individual’s choice as to when he/she would choose to live that lifestyle and by lifestyle, so there is no confusion, is when they decide to *come out* to the world as gay, as being gay is not a choice.

Does that clear it up?

Edited by I_M4_AU

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I have no idea on the number of people being coerced into being transgender either, but it was the only thing I could think that M4 meant as far as making choices that could impact your life down the road. 

The other part was not about 'gay panic' just updating Webb as he was using a bit more 1990's numbers on LGBTQ population percentage.

8 hours ago, cbo said:

I wish it wasn't political. I'd much rather the politicians stay out of bedrooms, stop inciting voters with morality issues (on both sides), and do their damn jobs. 

You remain insightful and level-headed. I haven't visited the political side of this forum in a while, mostly because I fail to maintain the latter. But I've read a bit today, and your posts, with which I often fundamentally disagree, are always worthwhile. 

This is mostly my view as well

8 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

The only time I can see it should be political are the times I disagree with something :lol:

Seriously though, 90% shouldn't be. However, that remaining lil bit... such as how old a person needs to be before undergoing surgery or taking hormone blockers. Is very much an issue our government should be into.

48 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It is obviously an individual’s choice as to when he/she would choose to live that lifestyle and by lifestyle, so there is no confusion, is when they decide to *come out* to the world as gay, as being gay is not a choice.

Does that clear it up?

That's not the big deal you think it is these days. The population % isn't fringe anymore so there's not the weird stigma of 'coming out'. Think of how weird it would be for a kid to 'come out' as hetero when you were growing up.

Youngins these days just date who they want when they want, the parents who want to throw a 'coming out' party for their kid are considered cringe (or whatever new word they use this week) :lol:.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

That's not the big deal you think it is these days. The population % isn't fringe anymore so there's not the weird stigma of 'coming out'. Think of how weird it would be for a kid to 'come out' as hetero when you were growing up.

I don’t think coming out is such a big deal now either, but it is a decision one that is born gay has to make.  There is a lot of acceptance and backing by people that have come before.  I would think the biggest concern to coming out would be the family dynamic.

Being a father of 3 boys, they have tried to please their dad while they were under about 12 years old and then found their own way.  At times they still try not to piss me off when we interact.

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t think coming out is such a big deal now either, but it is a decision one that is born gay has to make.  There is a lot of acceptance and backing by people that have come before.  I would think the biggest concern to coming out would be the family dynamic.

Being a father of 3 boys, they have tried to please their dad while they were under about 12 years old and then found their own way.  At times they still try not to piss me off when we interact.

Oh for sure, family dynamic plays a large role in how big of a deal it is.

Area probably does too, I have a bad problem with assuming how things are in my city are how they generally are. But it's likely to be very different in rural deep south. Easy for me to forget just how big the US really is and how much societal norms can change after just a 6-9 hour car ride :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Oh for sure, family dynamic plays a large role in how big of a deal it is.

And that is why it up to the individual to decide his/her fate.  It is how comfortable they feel in the situation.

11 hours ago, Mims44 said:

I have no idea on the number of people being coerced into being transgender either, but it was the only thing I could think that M4 meant as far as making choices that could impact your life down the road. 

The other part was not about 'gay panic' just updating Webb as he was using a bit more 1990's numbers on LGBTQ population percentage.

This is mostly my view as well

The only time I can see it should be political are the times I disagree with something :lol:

Seriously though, 90% shouldn't be. However, that remaining lil bit... such as how old a person needs to be before undergoing surgery or taking hormone blockers. Is very much an issue our government should be into.

Youngins these days just date who they want when they want, the parents who want to throw a 'coming out' party for their kid are considered cringe (or whatever new word they use this week) :lol:.

Fair enough man. Thanks for the response. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 9:36 AM, CoffeeTiger said:

What happened here? 

Did pony boy delete all his posts because he was mad that people were debating with him? 

He galloped away.

• Haha 2

On 5/3/2024 at 9:57 PM, SaltyTiger said:

I would like to see drivers license changed permit at 16 and license at 18. Gay permitted at 25 licensed at 27.

What is with facepalm? Do you not like the DL idea? Thought the question was silly and just playing along.

15 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

What is with facepalm? Do you not like the DL idea? Thought the question was silly and just playing along.

He missinterpreted my statement and I thought you took him seriously.  A lot of that going around of the political forum.  My bad.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

He missinterpreted my statement and I thought you took him seriously.  A lot of that going around of the political forum.  My bad.

Thanks and I assumed you misunderstood. BTW, paid $6 for a bag of ice down at Orange Beach yesterday afternoon. Lady that took payment claimed it was Biden’s fault. 

• Haha 2

On 5/4/2024 at 12:44 AM, auburnatl1 said:

The problem is that culture war politics insists that the issue be political when it is inherently not.  One would think, as Americans, the last thing any of us would want is government intrusion into who we sleep with or love.  If freedom doesn't include that, what is so free about it? 

Unfortunately, we have a history that includes laws regulating all kinds of otherwise private conduct.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks and I assumed you misunderstood. BTW, paid $6 for a bag of ice down at Orange Beach yesterday afternoon. Lady that took payment claimed it was Biden’s fault. 

LOL - she has no reason to think when others are there to tell her what believe in the first place.

On 5/4/2024 at 9:41 AM, I_M4_AU said:

The scary thing is how many young people take their own lives every year due largely out of the fear of dealing with this very topic.

• Sad 1