Mens golf Baton Rouge Regionals

247sports.com

Freshmen lead the way for Auburn mens golf on day one of NCAA Regionals

Jason Caldwell

5–7 minutes

Auburn's freshmen led the Tigers on day one of the NCAA Regionals in Baton Rouge.

Solid would be the word to describe top-ranked Auburn men's golf and their first round of the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional. Led by true freshmen Jackson Koivun and Josiah Gilbert, who both fired rounds of 70, coach Nick Clinard's team is in second after a day one round of 285 (-3). The Tigers trail leader Virginia by five shots with Ohio State and Houston both at +1 and Duke rounding out the top five at +3.

"The golf course is tricky," Clinard said. "The wind started out South/Southwest and switched to Northeast. With the lines off the tees, the fairways pinch up at the ends so you have to be real smart with your lines. You've got to drive it well, and I thought we did, we just didn't make a whole lot of putts."

The firepower came from Gilbert. Coming on late in the season, he continued his strong play on Monday with a fast start out of the gate for the Tigers. With birdies on the third and fifth hole, he was at two-under par playing the par-5 sixth. His first eagle of the day pushed him to -4 overall. He would give three shots back with a double bogey and a bogey before adding his second eagle of the day on the 17th. A bogey on his final hole put him in the clubhouse with a 70. 

Koivun had the same score, but did it in a much different way. Steady from start to finish, he had a pair of birdies on the front nine before playing even on the back with one bogey and a birdie on the 15th hole.

"They played very well," Clinard said of the freshmen. "I'm really proud of them. I was with Jackson the whole day. He left some shots out there, it could have easily been five or six under. But overall I thought the freshmen played some great golf."

Behind them, Carson Bacha had a round of even par, 72, while J.M. Butler came in with a round of 73. Brendan Valdes finished off the scoring for Auburn day one with a round of two-over par, 74.

Texas Tech (+4), Oregon (+4), South Carolina (+5), Lipscomb (+6), LSU (+7), Louisville (+13), Loyola Maryland (+22), Yale (+32) and Arkansas-Pine Bluff (+33) round out the field after day one. The top five teams after 54 holes advance to the NCAA Championships.

• Like 1

Good first day not great. Left some shots out there and had to many doubles . Gotta get the putters going today

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Good first day not great. Left some shots out there and had to many doubles . Gotta get the putters going today

i know you are private and i respect that but did you ever play golf for auburn? my memory is bad and this chemo had made my memory worse than it was.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i know you are private and i respect that but did you ever play golf for auburn? my memory is bad and this chemo had made my memory worse than it was.

Yes a very long time ago 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yes a very long time ago 

He played with Old Tom Morris and could whittle a mean hickory shaft. They where a couple of sap suckers who tapped Sapodilla trees to make there own gutta percha balls. Memories fade with time.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ausburn2 said:

He played with Old Tom Morris and could whittle a mean hickory shaft. They where a couple of sap suckers who tapped Sapodilla trees to make there own gutta percha balls. Memories fade with time.....

Remember like it was yesterday whittling those hickory trees

• augolf1716 changed the title to Auburn mens golf Baton Rouge Regionals

Course is playing really tough today but we have tied Virginia for the lead at 3 under thru 14 or so holes. Valdes is having a heck of back nine at 3 under

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well had a few rough holes toward the end. Currently sit at 1 under with Virginia at 6 under. Virginia is playing extremely well for their ranking which is 12th nationally. Final round tomorrow lets see what happens and how Virginia holds onto that 5 shot lead. Golfs a funny sport things can flip on a dime in team scoring

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, norfolk said:

Is there anyway to follow this Golf on TV ?

Not for regionals you may catch some highlights on golf channel. Maybe the SEC channel will have a small segment on Wed night for the SEC teams that make the National.

247sports.com

Auburn mens golf in second heading into final day of regional play

Jason Caldwell

10–13 minutes

Auburn trails Virginia heading into the final round on Wednesday.

On a day when The University Club course again played difficult, the No. 1 Auburn Tigers got a strong finish from Brendan Valdes to cap off a round of 289 (+1) as Nick Clinard's team is in second place after 36 holes at the Baton Rouge Regional. Virginia leads the way at -6 overall with Auburn in second at -1 overall. 

Making a birdie on his first hold, Valdes had bogeys on six and seven to make the turn at one-over par on Tuesday. The second nine was a different story as he made birdies on 11 and 12 to get back under par. Another birdie on 16 moved him to three-under for the day before giving a shot back on 17. Finishing things off in style, Valdes birdied the difficult 18th to get some momentum heading into the final round.

Freshman Jackson Koivin had a round of 73 as did Carson Bacha, while freshman Josiah Gilbert's day was a tale of two nines. Playing well on the front nine, he made the turn at two-under but four-over on his final nine holes to finish the day with a 74. J.M. Butler's 77 rounded out the day for Auburn.

Texas Tech is in third place, trailing Auburn by four shots following a round of 287 on Tuesday. Duke (+6), Ohio State (+7) LSU (+8) and Houston (+9) round out the top seven. Oregon and South Carolina are next at +15 with Lipscomb rounding out the top 10 at +16.

The top five teams after 54 holes will advance to the NCAA Championships May 24-29 at the Omni La Costa Champions Course in Carlsbad, California.

• Thanks 1

We've gotten off to a good start but so has Virginia currently Virginia is 10 under Auburn 8 under thru about 4 holes. Both teams have started separating themselves from the field. auburn is 10 strokes ahead of 3rd place Texas Tech.

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Mens golf Baton Rouge Regionals

Is Auburn still overall No. 1 seed? Where does Virginia rank nationally? Is their performance a surprise or was this expected from the Cavaliers?  Being challenged in the Regionals is a good thing for our Tigers going into NCAA finals I would think. Will our guys coast in as runner-up or put on a charge to win the Regionals outright? WDE Tiger Golf team!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autan said:

Is Auburn still overall No. 1 seed?

Yes

1 hour ago, autan said:

Where does Virginia rank nationally?

12th

1 hour ago, autan said:

Is their performance a surprise or was this expected from the Cavaliers? 

Yes but teams can get hot or just suited for a certain type golf course 

1 hour ago, autan said:

Being challenged in the Regionals is a good thing for our Tigers going into NCAA finals I would think.

I agree

1 hour ago, autan said:

Will our guys coast in as runner-up

Yes but knowing them they will play as if they are in 6th place trying to make up ground

1 hour ago, autan said:

WDE Tiger Golf team!!

Damn straight

• Thanks 1

I had a few errands to do come back and Auburn is on fire atm. We are 18 under for the day!!!!! That's thru 12 holes meaning one player or two on the team has a birdie on every hole. Virginia is 10 under for the day. 

Currently Auburn is leading at 19 under and Virginia 16 under Texas Tech is third at 3 under.

Sidenote our #1 player is not having his best round which just shows how deep we are.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Update on the turds poor babies finished 6th one stroke behind Baylor.........so their not going to the Nationals

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Really happy to hear we're trouncing Yale (ahem...basketball).   And, of course, everybody else...this team is amazing!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Eagle said:

Really happy to hear we're trouncing Yale (ahem...basketball).   And, of course, everybody else...this team is amazing!

Yale is currently 49 under oh I mean 49 over so if math is correct we're leading them by 68 strokes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Update on the turds poor babies finished 6th one stroke behind Baylor.........so their not going to the Nationals

Can I just give Bama a big BOO HOO (NOT!!!!)😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AU 20 under with a approx. 2 holes to play per player VA at 16 under with same amount of holes to play. Looking good but don't count the chickens just yet........

• Love 1

What a round so far! 

• Like 1

Never in my life have I seen this great of scoring in a regional. We shot 20 under par today alone ended up at 21 under for entire tourney. We made up 13 strokes on VA today and this is not an easy course. Our two freshmen shot 4 and 5 under today. Now on to Nationals..............we have a great team best I've ever seen at Auburn

AU -21 under

VA -13 under

Texas Tech -8 under

Ohio St and LSU have locked up positions 4 and 5 but still playing

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I don't know anything about golf. What is a birdie? a Bogey? an eagle, etc.