Rank the SEC so far

TitanTiger

We're five weeks into the season now. Based on what we've seen so far, how would you rank the SEC, without regard to divisions? Here's mine:

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Auburn

4. Tennessee

5. LSU

6. Florida

7. Vandy

8. Miss. State

9. Ole Miss

10. Arkansas

11. S. Carolina

12. Kentucky

I don't see huge differences in the top 3 right now. All play great defense and can put up some points. After that it gets shaky. Tennessee's offense is hit or miss. LSU's defense has tons of talent but doesn't play well together. Florida's spread option isn't clicking. Vandy pulled a "Vandy" last night. Under Vandy, it's pretty ugly. Arkansas played well against Bama and SC played well against Georgia, but who knows if the teams that showed up on those days will show up again.

We're five weeks into the season now.  Based on what we've seen so far, how would you rank the SEC, without regard to divisions?  Here's mine:

1.  Georgia

2.  Alabama

3.  Auburn

4.  Tennessee

5.  LSU

6.  Florida

7.  Vandy

8.  Miss. State

9.  Ole Miss

10.  Arkansas

11.  S. Carolina

12.  Kentucky

I don't see huge differences in the top 3 right now.  All play great defense and can put up some points.  After that it gets shaky.  Tennessee's offense is hit or miss.  LSU's defense has tons of talent but doesn't play well together.  Florida's spread option isn't clicking.  Vandy pulled a "Vandy" last night.  Under Vandy, it's pretty ugly.  Arkansas played well against Bama and SC played well against Georgia, but who knows if the teams that showed up on those days will show up again.

185687[/snapback]

Heres mine.

1. Alabama (overall have played the best so far)

2. Georgia (even though I think AU is better right now)

3. Auburn

4. Tennessee

5. LSU

6. Florida

7. Vandy

8. Miss. State

9. Ole Miss

10. Arkansas

11. S. Carolina

12. Kentucky

1. Tennessee

2. Alabama

3. Georgia

4. Auburn

5. Florida

6. LSU

7. South Carolina

8. Miss State

9. Ole Miss

10. Arkansas

11. Kentucky

Overall, I think Tennessee still is the best overall if Clausen can play like he did the way played against LSU in the 2nd half. Then again, teams will present better D's along the way, imo, so Clausen may not keep it up.

I almost put UGA ahead of Alabama but the fact is that Shockley hasn't beaten a proven D and our DL/OL's are playing below good.

I put AU #4 due to your Tech loss and embarressing me on here with my prediction of that game. Whoever losses the UGA/UT game will drop to #4 or farther so AU will shortly move up next week.

I put LSU behind UF because LSU's Zone-D will get torn apart by Meyer's O unless they do what Alabama did and PLUG THE LANES, which Pelini can't seem to do.

1. Georgia (only one "poor" game vs SC, but won it anyway)

2. Auburn (has played great, especially defensively, since GT)

3. Alabama (only two above-average games in Carolina, UF)

4. Florida (ran into buzzsaw against Bama, but has looked good otherwise)

5. Tennessee (lost to UF, looks like a bunch of individuals, not a team)

6. LSU (Les Stinks it Up)

7. Miss. State (On their way up, but they're in a different class than top 6)

8. Vanderbilt (Was Johnson cussing after MTSU?)

9. South Carolina (They have Spurrier.. and nothing else)

10. Arkansas (Team looks like they want Nutt out)

11. Ole Miss (No coach + no team)

12. Kentucky (They made UF look like USC)

1. Bama

2. UGA

3. AU

4. UF

5. UT

6. LSU

7. Vandy

8. USC

9. Ark

10. UK

11. MSU

12. Ole Miss

Bama and UGA gotta be on top, simply because they are undefeated, UF stays ahead of UT and UT ahead of LSU because they proved it on the field.

Sorta off track here, but can anyone else remember a year when the SEC West was as stratified as it is this year? Auburn, Alabama and LSU are head, shoulders, torso and kneecaps above Ole Miss, MSU and Arkansas.

If you consider Tennessee, Georgia and Florida to be near-equals in the East, Georgia gets the edge in West scheduling...Mississippi State (already a W), Arkansas at home (practically a lock W) and Auburn at home (slight edge to UGA at home, but definitely no lock). If Georgia can split with Tennessee and Florida, they're likely heading to the SECCG.

1. :ua:

2. :uga:

3a. :ut:

3b. :au:

3c. :lsu:

3d. :uf:

I don't see much to distinguish 3-6. Each has a loss that they're somewhat chagrined by...Florida's was inexplicably bad.

7. Vanderbilt

8. South Carolina

9. Ole Miss

10. Arkansas

11. MSU

12. Kentucky

1. Alabama (As bad as I hate to put them here. D will keep them in every game)

2. Georgia (Haven't WOWed me, but they are undefeated)

3. Tennessee (If QB situation stays settled, they could be tough to beat.)

3. Auburn (Seem to improve every week. Next year may be better.)

5. Florida (Meyer's learning year)

6. LSU (Miles will not survive as Saban's replacement)

7. Vandy (Bowl game might be gone, but Cutler is the real deal)

8. Miss. State (Croom has some more recruiting to do.)

9. Ole Miss (Orgeron is "California Dreamin'")

10. Arkansas (Nutt's last stand)

11. S. Carolina (The old ball coach may retire again)

12. Kentucky (When does Basketball start????)

1. Tennessee

2. Alabama

3. Georgia

4. Auburn

5. Florida

6. LSU

7. South Carolina

8. Miss State

9. Ole Miss

10. Arkansas

11. Kentucky

Overall, I think Tennessee still is the best overall if Clausen can play like he did the way played against LSU in the 2nd half. Then again, teams will present better D's along the way, imo, so Clausen may not keep it up.

I almost put UGA ahead of Alabama but the fact is that Shockley hasn't beaten a proven D and our DL/OL's are playing below good.

I put AU #4 due to your Tech loss and embarressing me on here with my prediction of that game. Whoever losses the UGA/UT game will drop to #4 or farther so AU will shortly move up next week.

I put LSU behind UF because LSU's Zone-D will get torn apart by Meyer's O unless they do what Alabama did and PLUG THE LANES, which Pelini can't seem to do.

185716[/snapback]

You left off vandy...

1. Alabama (i hate this)

2. :au: (Cox is becoming a great player)

3. :uga: (I have no clue what type of Georgia team this is...I have yet to see some type of "identity")

4. :ut: (Lost to Florida...now they realize Ainge is horrible....Put in a limp noodle arm qb who can at least complete a 5 yard dunk)

5. :lsu: (Not impressed with Les Miles or Russell's choice making)

6. :uf: (I cant believe Leak played that horrible...Meyer is going to have to spice up the gameplan a bit)

7. :vandy: (In a wierd state of affairs...I have to place them here because they can beat or have beaten all the teams below this )

8. :usc: (When they have their starting qb they can at least move the ball downfield)

Tie 9-12: Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas .....these teams are just plain horrible, so horrible that they do not deserve emoticon pictures like the rest of the teams..(actually, this board wouldnt allow me to post all 12 emoticons)

Arkansas is better than you guys are putting them.

Youll be surprised next week. No they wont beat AU, but you wont blow them out either.

They are a good bit better than South Carolina.

Arkansas is better than you guys are putting them.

Youll be surprised next week. No they wont beat AU, but you wont blow them out either.

They are a good bit better than South Carolina.

185764[/snapback]

maybe it's florida that is not that good :P

1. Alabama (don't know how you could put anyone else at this point in THIS season)

2. Tennessee (only if clausen is under center, completely different team with him)

3. Georgia (solid defense, great running game)

4. Auburn (travis williams returned to football last night. in a related story, this defense is going to finish in the top 5 in scoring again this year)

5. Florida (beat a team better than them, but they have no offense)

6. LSU (can't play two full halves. bad at the start in the desert, bad at the end in the bayou. defense looks bad both places)

7. Vandy (can't believe that loss)

8. South Carolina (at least they beat the teams they are supposed to)

9. MSU (dogs play hard on both sides of the ball. more than i can say for...)

10. Arkansas (70 against USC)

11. Ole Miss (40+ against wyoming)

12. Kentucky (every single game)

1. :ua: (and no it doesn't pain me to say it, because I don't believe they'll be there when it's all said and done)

2. :ut: "When you've got 2 QBs, you don't have any..." well now they have one.

3. :uga: (My pick for SEC Champs, call it a hunch)

4. :au: (Still don't know a whole lot about how good we are)

5. :lsu: (should be 1-2, but they have plenty o' talent)

6. :uf: (I thought Urban was a smart guy, but did he really believe that spread option crap was going to work?)

7. Cocks

8. Dogs

9. Dores

10. Hogs

11. Rebs

12. UKats

1.bama-if defense wins championships, then the turds have a shot. :puke:

2.AUBURN- if defense wins championships, we are a lock. :cheer:

3. :ut: - they will beat uga, and win the east

4. :uga: -they just keep winning-in a ugly type of way

5.lsu- man, talk about some talent being held back

6. florida- ranked them this low just because they lost to bama.

then the rest who knows they all are just average.

There has not been a team this year to stand out like last years top three, it just may be me though.

1. :ua:

2. :ut:

3. :au:

4. :uga:

5. :uf:

6. :lsu:

7. Vandy

8. Piggies

9. Cocks

10. MSU

11. UK

12. Ol Misses

All but 2 had UG in the Top 3. I think they are below UA, AU, LSU, UT and will lose to UF easily on a day when Leak is hot. (Off topic, has anyone seen a more schizo QB than Chris Leak? At Bama he was below 50% with their very short passing game; the Bama defense is very good, but I put that performance mostly on a very bad day for Leak and his receivers.)

Auburn (#1 Scoring offense #1 Scoring defense) 'Nuff said :au::cheer:

Georgia (Still my pick to win it all, but, gotta' prove it)

uat (A litle luck and a lot of playing really bad SEC teams-lack of coaching dooms them to mid range Bowl at best)

TN (Sleeper, IF fat phil doesn't change qbs again)

Vandy (These guys STILL believe)

1. :ua: Hate to admit it, but they are undefeated, gave Florida a beat-down and seem to be clicking on both sides of the ball.

2. :uga: Have not been impressive, but have gotten the job done.

3. :au: If we had started with Ball State or W. Kentucky, then played G. Tech, I think we woudl be undefeated right now and in the top ten.

4. :ut: Gonna be dangerous now that they have the right QB in.

5. :lsu: Be interesting to see how the rest of their season goes. Can't believe they let Tenn come back like that.

6. :uf: I thougth they were slightly overrated, but was shocked at what Bama did to them.

7. :vandy: Showed their true colors losing to MTSU. Too bad, I was rooting for them.

8. Arkansas: Nutt is a good coach, I hope he can salvage a few wins.

9. South Carolina: Ball Coach has a long way to go.

10. Miss State: I'm rooting for Croom, but he needs to get some wins.

11. Ole Miss: This is what they get for firing Cutcliffe who (along w/ Eli) had them more respectable than they have been in a while.

12. Kentucky: Just terrible.

Just want to make the very obvious point that this is where the teams are right now. Hopefully Auburn will continue to improve and come out winners in Atlanta.

While I do agree that AU is improving every week, it is hard to improve on the #1 scoring offense and #1 scoring defense in the SEC. We should be very proud of these Coaches and this Team. :au:

Isn't it funny how nobody in the SEC has played good and consistent ball every game. Now, yes, Bama and UGA are undefeated, but if you say they have played consistent you are on something!! I know Blake Mitchell makes all the difference for the Gamecocks, offensively that was a totally different team that played against AU on Saturday, thus the reason I think they hung in with UGA, but bama smoked them and AU smoked them. Makes me question UGA, but it is kind of a rival game. UT played very well with Clausen starting against Ole Piss, but still did not look top notch. They have the talent and Clausen is for sure better than Ainge. They will be trouble if Clausen can get the deep ball going better. I have not seen that from him. I am eating crow on UF, I really thought they were going to be better this year. They have given up a league worst 18 sacks!! From play I have seen so far I would rank them like this.

1. bama

2. AU

3. uga

4. ut

5. uf / lsu

6. vandy

7. arky

8. usc

9. msu

10. om

11. uk

Even though :ut: got beat by :uf: , with Clausen in they are better than :uf: right now. :arky: would run all over :usc: , the only thing to keep :usc: in the game would be if Mitchell was in at QB. Still lots of football left to be played.

Based only on play thus far:

1. Alabama (win over Florida does this)

2. Georgia (lack of the big game yet)

3. Auburn

4. LSU (they are still better than UT)

5. Tennesse

6. Florida

7. Vandy

8. Ole Miss

9. Miss State

10. Arkansas

11. S. Carolina (the UK/USC will be fun to watch if USC doesn't get a QB back)

12. Kentucky

Based on when it's all said and done:

1. Georgia (all Shockley's got to do is play OK...doesn't have to win it on his own)

2. LSU (they're still not a bad team...Miles just hasn't learned SEC football yet)

3. Auburn (Cox matuiry/RB play over the balance of the season will be the key)

4. Alabama (loss of Protho will be the killer)

5. Tennessee (they are still over-ranked)

6. Florida (Urban's offense has been deciphered)

7. Miss State (loss of scholarships still hurting)

8. Ole Miss (WTHeck happened to this team)

9. Vandy (the real Vandy finally stood up)

10. Arkansas

11. S. Carolina

12. Kentucky

Archived