Interesting Theory - Natl Championship

Jenny AU-92

Local Houston Chronicle sportswriter made a comment on the radio Friday that I found interesting. He said that he thinks that college football will get a championship when TV coughs up enough money to pay for the rights to one. He said he thinks a number has been given to TV by the NCAA, but TV said no dice, too much. But when that mutually agreeable number is reached, we'll have a playoff/championship established. He is pretty linked in, and very credible as a source.

No link, since this was on the radio - SportsRadio610AM, writer is John McClain.

Interesting theory, and makes perfectly good sense to me. Figures that the presidents would hide behind "academics" until the price is right... :angry:

I have no trouble at all believing that Jen! There is nobody who can tell me that the numbers have not already been looked at. There is no way with the amount of talk concerning this subject that there have not already been pitches in one shape, form, or fashion. It seems to be the ever changinf excuse from college presidents. First it is that it ruin the bowls and the tradition, then it will extend the season to much, then it is we can't get out of the BCS contracts. Why don't they all just come on out and say the correct figure has not been dangled in front of their noses as of yet. When you cut through the smoke and mirrors that is what it all comes down to.

I think the issue is with guaranteed money to the conferences. With the current bowl setup, the SEC is guaranteed an appearance (and money) from specific bowls - it's that way for every conference. However, if we went to a playoff system, the conferences are not guaranteed that any of their teams would make it to the big money games (semifinals, final).

I think the only way a playoff will be instituted will have to include a way to guarantee money to the major BCS conferences (fair or not) - and the teams chosen will probably be influenced by that. That will leave room for non-BCS teams on the cusp of a playoff birth to cry foul.

Don't get me wrong - I want a playoff system. I think it'd be easy to institute an 8 team playoff, and keep the bowls for teams not making it to the playoffs. However, I would think it would be best for the bowls not to make selections till after the first round of playoffs so the quarterfinal losers could go to a bowl.

Archived