Questions regarding Uni's

moe

In '83 AU players wore Greg's #33 on their "bonnets".

the day Auburn wears orange jerseys is the day we take a step backward.

Auburn doesn't need a gimmick, go out , punch em in the mouth and win the game.

If you want to see what one looks like go into Anders, J&M or University Bookstore and try not to :puke:

we are not Clemson, Syracuse, Tennessee, Miami or any other orange school.

Go Big Blue.

PS. Have you seen :ut: garb with blue trim? Whats up with that? At first I thought it was black but it was navy blue.

i think this is one of the coolest posts in a while. thanks older whiskey. i just finished the book 'war eagle' by clyde bolton, printed in 1973. i love hearing about all these old stories. it's so cool. mike donahue, jimmy phillips, tucker frederickson.........lots of great stories out there. also, if you like AU history, the book is recommended.

Oh Lord! I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate about the orange jerseys. Although it would be great if we could compile a list of all the times we wore the orange jerseys...and also what our win/lose record in them.

Oh Lord!  I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate about the orange jerseys.  Although it would be great if we could compile a list of all the times we wore the orange jerseys...and also what our win/lose record in them.

194549[/snapback]

I want to correct a couple of careless statements made by others above.

1) We did not wear orange jersies "quite a bit" under Barfield. We wore them twice, as I explained above. The first time was against Georgia in 1978. Georgia was favored "quite a bit", but wound up playing for the tie, as they scored last. Joe Cribbs rushed for 250 yards, Phil Gargis had a 60 yard run for a TD, and William Andrews had a 60-yard run just as the half ended that finished at the one-foot line. The second time we wore them was for Homecoming 1979 against Mississippi State. We won that game 14-3. I have no idea what our record is for orange-jersied games prior to 1978, or even if those games can be identified.

2) Greg Pratt's number was 36, not 33, as I also pointed out above.

I totally agree with the sentiment that we don't need orange jersies for motivation, and that maybe that isn't even a good idea. What I'm suggesting is that we wear both orange and blue at home on a regular basis. We could alternate games or just do it randomly. The color would need to be a true burnt orange, much closer to Texas than Tennessee. It is precisely because our program is strong right now that I think this is a good time to add a jersey color. If we do it when the program is down, it looks more like a gimmick.

FWIW, I vote NO on AU players wearing orange jerseys. I vote yes on AU fans wearing orange jerseys if they want to.

I vote no on blue helmets. I vote no on orange helmets (although both at J&M do look pretty cool).

I vote no on changing the number style. I vote no on adding funky stripes. I vote no on changing pretty much anything.

Fact is, Auburn has some of the most classy uniforms in all of college football. We've managed to keep our traditions without looking archiaic and outdated (like Bammer, Penn State and a few others do). Our uniforms are on the same level as Michigan's. Classic.

Think about it this way... Can you imagine Michigan in yellow jerseys? And there you go. Same difference.

Correct me if I am wrong (as if I need to say that) but it seems to me that Coach Dye used to tell the team that getting their names on the back of theie jerseys was a reward for having a good year and working hard. ie. when you get to a bowl you can have that. Am I remembering that correctly?

i think this is one of the coolest posts in a while.  thanks older whiskey.  i just finished the book 'war eagle' by clyde bolton, printed in 1973.  i love hearing about all these old stories.  it's so cool.  mike donahue, jimmy phillips, tucker frederickson.........lots of great stories out there.  also,  if you like AU history, the book is recommended.

194547[/snapback]

If you liked that book, then you need to read the best one ever written:

"Saturday's to Remember" by David Housel.

Guest Tigrinum Major
1)  We did not wear orange jersies "quite a bit"  under Barfield.  We wore them twice, as I explained above.  The first time was against Georgia in 1978.  Georgia was favored "quite a bit", but wound up playing for the tie, as they scored last.  Joe Cribbs rushed for 250 yards, Phil Gargis had a 60 yard run for a TD, and William Andrews had a 60-yard run just as the half ended that finished at the one-foot line.  The second time we wore them was for Homecoming 1979 against Mississippi State.  We won that game 14-3.  I have no idea what our record is for orange-jersied games prior to 1978, or even if those games can be identified.

194614[/snapback]

We also wore the orange jersies on September 27, 1980, against Tennessee at home and got beat 42-0. That is reason enough to never discuss this issue again.

1)  We did not wear orange jersies "quite a bit"  under Barfield.  We wore them twice, as I explained above.  The first time was against Georgia in 1978.  Georgia was favored "quite a bit", but wound up playing for the tie, as they scored last.  Joe Cribbs rushed for 250 yards, Phil Gargis had a 60 yard run for a TD, and William Andrews had a 60-yard run just as the half ended that finished at the one-foot line.  The second time we wore them was for Homecoming 1979 against Mississippi State.  We won that game 14-3.  I have no idea what our record is for orange-jersied games prior to 1978, or even if those games can be identified.

194614[/snapback]

We also wore the orange jersies on September 27, 1980, against Tennessee at home and got beat 42-0. That is reason enough to never discuss this issue again.

194694[/snapback]

Yeah I remember that game, it was awful. I bet :ut: still gets a laugh out of that one. This was Doug Barfield's last year as the Tiger head coach.

194614[/snapback]

194694[/snapback]

Yeah I remember that game, it was awful. I bet :ut: still gets a laugh out of that one. This was Doug Barfield's last year as the Tiger head coach.

194716[/snapback]

I vaguely remember that...What I remember well is a few years later when Carlos Chetam made a Christian out of that poor :ut: player. Pound for pound one of the hardest hitting players for us I have EVER seen with my own eyes.

194614[/snapback]

194694[/snapback]

I was at that game. I don't remember the orange jerseys that day. What I do remember is an Auburn team that was unprepared and totally blown out by a better UT team. The jersey on their back had nothing to do with their poor performance.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I was at that game. I don't remember the orange jerseys that day.

194729[/snapback]

Are you saying that they didn't wear the orange jerseys that day or that they didn't have anything to do with the loss? I know for a fact that they were worn that day. I will agree with your assessment that the color of the shirts had nothing to do with the final result.

194729[/snapback]

Are you saying that they didn't wear the orange jerseys that day or that they didn't have anything to do with the loss? I know for a fact that they were worn that day. I will agree with your assessment that the color of the shirts had nothing to do with the final result.

194765[/snapback]

I am saying that the thing that mattered most that day was that we did not show up to play! Also, the thing that sticks out most for me, from the 22-22 game with UGAly, is not the orange jerseys either. It is that we DID score before the half and the refs blew the call! :au:

194729[/snapback]

194765[/snapback]

Tigrinum, I believe you are mistaken. I also attended that game, and am 99% certain we wore blue jersies. I also have a copy of the 1981 Media Guide. On the back is a color photo of a packed Jordan-Hare (with west side upper deck) that seems to show UT in orange pants/white jersies, and AU in our standard blue jersies and white pants. I agree with you and Aubie 7 that jersey color was irrelevant that day.

Archived