27 Points??

OlderWhiskey

Haven't seen any concern posted about the 27 points we gave up today. I didn't get to listen to very much of the game, but those big plays on the highlights looked very, very bad. I remember beating Duke 35-28 in 1980. We had them down 35-7 and all looked well. Then they came back to score 3 TDs in the 4th. The next week, UT beat us 42-0. Any other thoughts on this seemingly embarassing defensive performance? I thought we were supposed to have the best pass defense in the league, hadn't allowed anyone to pass for 200 yards. Pride goeth before a fall.

Well David Irons played like 2 or 3 series and left the game b/c he had a case of the flu....... and as soon as we got up 28-10 the defensive starters came out and the 2nd and 3rd stringers were in.....still a bit worried about our rush defense but other than that today was a case of over pursuits....

I have to agree with Tigger, it was mainly 2nd and third string guys in the game giving up these points. I will say one thing for them they could have very easily taken the last play off and let :uk: have the 6 it wasn't going to beat us. They didn't which is good even when beating the brains of a team in no matter 1st,2nd,3rd string they have pride enough to not give up a meaningless score in the final moments.

500th Post! Oh Yeah! WDE :au::cheer::nanner::dance:

We simply had one major blown coverage and a lot of missed tackles on short passing plays. Take away UK's 4 biggest plays and they end up with 260 yards on 66 plays ( 3.94 avg ), which was under what we were allowing per play, coming into the contest ( 4.44 ). Take away AU's 4 biggest plays and we still ended up with a respectable 382 yards on 66 plays ( 5.78 avg ) which was slightly under what we averaged per play, coming into the game ( 6.03 ).

:au::football::cheer:

i wouldn't fret over the 27, remember the first one was on an extremely short field, :angry: . We know what our D is capable of when they are fired up and and they will be next weekend, i'm putting in an early prediction

:au: 31

:uga: 17

No reason to panic...we played a lot of people giving them good experience and we were probably somewhat looking ahead to the next two games. If anything, it gives our defense reason to be angry and out to prove something next week. Hopefully they'll take it out on Shockley & Co....then Croyle & Co.

If we play like that against either one of our next opponents we won't have a chance. I was really dissapointed in the defense. I thought our defense would help us win games, but they did the opposite yesterday. If it was not because of our awesome tailbacks and recievers, we would be in trouble. David Gibbs needs to start doing the job he was paid for. We have good players it shouldn't be that hard.

Haven't seen any concern posted about the 27 points we gave up today.  I didn't get to listen to very much of the game, but those big plays on the highlights looked very, very bad.  I remember beating Duke 35-28 in 1980.  We had them down 35-7 and all looked well.  Then they came back to score 3 TDs in the 4th.  The next week, UT beat us 42-0.  Any other thoughts on this seemingly embarassing defensive performance?  I thought we were supposed to have the best pass defense in the league, hadn't allowed anyone to pass for 200 yards.  Pride goeth before a fall.

195442[/snapback]

If you remember that '80 game, you should also remember the '83 game vs Kentucky

Auburn 49 Kentucky 21. While most here would have much rather seen an effort like we saw against S.Carolina ( 48- 7) , or even vs . MSU (28-0) turnovers were costly. Hopefully it'll serve as a wake up call. UGA will have DJ back, and they'll be gunning for a huge game from him. If the coaches don't fix what needs fixin, it could be interesting

Also, UK's back is leading the SEC in all purpose yardage. So, like it or not, this wasn't completely against some scrub talent.

i don't really want to talk bad about guys on the defensive side of the ball. i'll just say i was on the first dang row, and we haven't played that bad defensively since 2003 lsu. we had about 3 guys come out and give a full effort (bravo to stanley mcclover for a dominant game against the run and the pass... great performance). that's it though. the rest of the guys were doing a combination of dogging it and blowing their assignments.

linebackers were late to rotate into the flats when we played cover three. corners got confused on what the coverage was (mainly we had guys dropping into zone with with a safety rolling into the same zone... one of them is wrong). our tackles got pushed around, and the ends outside of stanley played out of position most of the day.

gibbs joked about "putting in the bad defense in the second half," but i gotta say they looked almost as bad in the first half. i'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that was a fluke. either way, i'll be there to pull for 'em in athens.

Haven't seen any concern posted about the 27 points we gave up today.  I didn't get to listen to very much of the game, but those big plays on the highlights looked very, very bad.  I remember beating Duke 35-28 in 1980.  We had them down 35-7 and all looked well.  Then they came back to score 3 TDs in the 4th.  The next week, UT beat us 42-0.  Any other thoughts on this seemingly embarassing defensive performance?  I thought we were supposed to have the best pass defense in the league, hadn't allowed anyone to pass for 200 yards.  Pride goeth before a fall.

195442[/snapback]

If you remember that '80 game, you should also remember the '83 game vs Kentucky

Auburn 49 Kentucky 21. While most here would have much rather seen an effort like we saw against S.Carolina ( 48- 7) , or even vs . MSU (28-0) turnovers were costly. Hopefully it'll serve as a wake up call. UGA will have DJ back, and they'll be gunning for a huge game from him. If the coaches don't fix what needs fixin, it could be interesting

Also, UK's back is leading the SEC in all purpose yardage. So, like it or not, this wasn't completely against some scrub talent.

195625[/snapback]

But this isn't 1980. This isn't 1983. This is a whole new ball team with a whole new coaching staff. I don't think it matters one bit what we did in 1980, 1983, or even 1993.

Archived