It's past time to change the

Shug2003

Not much iron being produced in Birmingham either.  :(

Only ductile iron pipe...

As far as Birmingham being called the "Football capital of the south", everyone knows UAB plays there.  :rolleyes:

198914[/snapback]

The Blazers and their fan base that is now up to 35 strong.

If I turn just right at my desk, I can see the "Old Grey Lady" all day long. Luckily, I turn left. :big:

It will always be the Iron Bowl, and it should not be changed. Everyone in the country knows that name. The fact that CSJ started it, makes it even more special.

As for  "The Dixie Bowl"...are you kidding me?! We would be boycotted from all sides!

198850[/snapback]

Sorry, this is all I could think of when someone mentioned the Dixie Bowl...

Here's some cutlery to go with that set of dishes...

200.jpg

DUH! Im stupid, i didnt even think of it like that. Thanks for clearing that one up.

198864[/snapback]

Nah, I had no idea either! ;) Just hard to work this week. Like all Iron Bowl weeks, my work productivity falls to zilch.

BEAT BAMA

DUH! Im stupid, i didnt even think of it like that. Thanks for clearing that one up.

198864[/snapback]

Nah, I had no idea either! ;) Just hard to work this week. Like all Iron Bowl weeks, my work productivity falls to zilch.

BEAT BAMA

198925[/snapback]

I agree with the work statement, just not the beat bama part. Work (school) is kinda hard to deal with right now.

Also--although not as important as the heritage, the intensity, and all the other reasons listed above for calling it that--Iron Bowl just rolls off the tongue a lot easier than "Auburn-Alabama Game" (or "Alabama-Auburn Game"). Many fewer syllables!

"...broadcasting from the David Housel pressbox, this is the Auburn-Alabama Game on Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare stadium" :o

And I also like the fact that we don't have some gay trophy (e.g. axe, bucket, egg, "boot", etc.) associated with it -- -- just BRAGGING RIGHTS! :au: WDE

198848[/snapback]

There is a trophy.. The Foy Sportsmanship Trophy

***EDIT*** - Nothing so graphic, please.

I have to say, being 62 years old, that I am disappointed in the Auburn faithful for their reaction to my proposal. I suppose it reflects the age distribution and a majority of those "fans"who never live through the "hell years" that we did. In a way, I suppose that's encouraging in the fact that they don't know what the hell we are talking about and it's discouraging in the fact that perhaps they do and just don't give a damn. In any event, we will NEVER escape bammer's shadow until we choose an AUBURN name for this series and force it.......Just wait and see! Ok, I'm capable of taking my lumps....actually, don't give a rat's ass .

Guest Tigrinum Major
I have to say, being 62 years old, that I am disappointed in the Auburn faithful for their reaction to my proposal. I suppose it reflects the age distribution and a majority of those "fans"who never live through the "hell years" that we did. In a way, I suppose that's encouraging in the fact that they don't know what the hell we are talking about and it's discouraging in the fact that perhaps they do and just don't give a damn. In any event, we will NEVER escape bammer's shadow until we choose an AUBURN name for this series and force it.......Just wait and see! Ok, I'm capable of taking my lumps....actually, don't give a rat's ass .

198940[/snapback]

Shug, if you notice, some of the faithful point out that the name came from Coach Jordan, not Bryant. Granted, it has its origins in Birmingham, which is a bastion of the Bama faithful, but it was coined by Shug himself.

Personally, I don't refer to it as the Iron Bowl much, be a slip up at times. I am like pcola, I like either the Auburn-Alabama game or the Bama game. But that is just me.

I am also a little partial to The Uncivil War.

Imo, it should always be the Iron Bowl.

To me it is a never ending rub in the face of old school bammers that we laid down the law and brought the Iron Bowl to the plains!

Plus, the name Iron Bowl is pretty cool.

Haha, I agree with that. The EGG BOWL?!?  :huh:

Wonder where they came up with that one.

Yea, the Iron bowl works. Shouldnt be changed.

198807[/snapback]

The loser normally had or was closest to having an egg in the win column.

:roflol:

Yeah, leave the darned thing alone...I don't refer to it much as the Iron Bowl because folks here in Tejas wouldn't know what I was talking about, but when you say "Iron Bowl" amongst most college football-savvy folks, they know exactly what you're referring to.

Archived