It's past time to change the

Shug2003

Ok, we finally got our people led to the promised land by Coach Dye so lets go another step and assert our preference for the games name... It's no secret that Bear Bryant dubbed this the "Iron Bowl" because it was played every year in Birmingham. First we left and later the tiders moved their home game as well. Soooooooooo, it's no longer played in the "Steel City" Thank God!

Coach Jordan wanted the Bowl called the "Bragg Bowl" because of its significance for in-state bragging rights, but as usual, Bryant and his menions won out. I'd like to get you guys take on this.. IMO, the game should be referred to as the:

Auburn-Alabama game,

the Bragg Bowl,

Tiger-Tide bowl, name first(depending on who is the home team in any particular year)

or the Dixie Bowl.

Hey, lets get rid of the old antiquated Bryant name and choose our own name for a change.....we don't owe Bamaham a Damn thing except perhaps some payback for biased officiating, disproportionate crowds, being mugged and ripped off, etc.

War Damn Eagle. :cheer::au:

Ok, we finally got our people led to the promised land by Coach Dye so lets go another step and assert our preference for the games name... It's no secret that Bear Bryant dubbed this the "Iron Bowl" because it was played every year in Birmingham. First we left and later the tiders moved their home game as well. Soooooooooo, it's no longer played in the "Steel City" Thank God!

Coach Jordan wanted the Bowl called the "Bragg Bowl" because of its significance for in-state bragging rights, but as usual, Bryant and his menions won out.  I'd like to get you guys take on this.. IMO, the game should be referred to as the:

Auburn-Alabama game,

the Bragg Bowl, 

Tiger-Tide bowl,  name first(depending on who is the home team in any particular year)

or the Dixie Bowl.

Hey, lets get rid of the old antiquated  Bryant name and choose our own name for a change.....we don't owe Bamaham a Damn thing except perhaps some payback for biased officiating, disproportionate crowds, being mugged and ripped off, etc.

War Damn Eagle. :cheer:   :au:

198797[/snapback]

The bragg bowl is lame.

But the Dixie Bowl or something like that would be kinda kool.

Coach Jordan wanted the Bowl called the "Bragg Bowl" because of its significance for in-state bragging rights, but as usual, Bryant and his menions won out.  I'd like to get you guys take on this.. IMO, the game should be referred to as the:

Auburn-Alabama game,

the Bragg Bowl, 

Tiger-Tide bowl,  name first(depending on who is the home team in any particular year)

or the Dixie Bowl.

Hey, lets get rid of the old antiquated  Bryant name and choose our own name for a change.....we don't owe Bamaham a Damn thing except perhaps some payback for biased officiating, disproportionate crowds, being mugged and ripped off, etc.

War Damn Eagle. :cheer:   :au:

198797[/snapback]

Iron Bowl

It no longer speaks of the city. It speaks of the grit and will of the players. It means so much more than an homage to Birmingham. Iron Bowl it will always be. I got no problem with that.

Maybe this year it'll be the Kenny Irons' Bowl!!

the "Iron Bowl" is tradition, It doesnt matter who started it, it just matters what it stands for, and It stands for a rivalry that is one of the best in the country. Iron Bowl will always be the name for me.

If memory serves me on this one, It was Coach Jordan that named it the "Iron Bowl". Let's not give uat any more credit than they already steal. :D

I suggest, in honor of Jim, we simply name it the TOUCHDOWN AUBURN BOWL too!

:lol::lol::lol::cheer::au:

A bowl that needs changing is the "Egg Bowl"  talk about lame.  But I like the Iron Bowl, it is a cool sounding name.

198802[/snapback]

Haha, I agree with that. The EGG BOWL?!? :huh:

Wonder where they came up with that one.

Yea, the Iron bowl works. Shouldnt be changed.

As the old saying goes: Don't fix what ain't broke!!

We all know the Iron Bowl is the greatest rivalry in the land (even if some pointy-headed Northern writers say otherwise). From the previous post right here, it's obviously not even clear who started the name and I've never heard that it was either Bryant or Jordan. I thought it was the invention of a sportswriter.

But it doesn't matter--the name is permanently attached to the best college football game in America and the strength of the rivalry. It's not about a city, not about one coach or another getting credit. It about the strongest and best attributes of college football. Besides, what term could possibly sound stronger/mightier/more appropriate when discussing football than "iron"? I think we should be glad we claimed it before anywhere else in the counry got it.

As mentioned, what's the "Egg Bowl" have to do with eggs? What's the Cotton Bowl have to do with cotton anymore? Which northern rivalry swaps an oaken bucket, for heavens sake? Give me IRON any day--I wish the trophy that goes to the winner each year was made of solid iron!

The Iron Bowl is and always will be the Iron Bowl. No need, or desire to change one of college footballs greatest traditions.

If memory serves me on this one, It was Coach Jordan that named it the "Iron Bowl".

198801[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure WT is correct that it was CSJ that dubbed it the "Iron Bowl". If memory serves me correct, Coach Bryant actually didn't care for the name. I don't see how anyone could call it anything else. Sure, the name originated from it being in B'ham, and it is no longer played there, but it has been called that for to long to change now.

The EGG BOWL?!?  :huh:

198807[/snapback]

From Wikipedia

The Egg Bowl is a nickname given to the annual college football game between the University of Mississippi ("Ole Miss") and Mississippi State University. The name derives from a large trophy which has been awarded to the winning team each year since the 1920s. The trophy consists of a large football-shaped brass piece mounted to a wooden base and traditionally symbolizes supremacy in college football in the state of Mississippi for the year (although there is now a third Division I-A team in the state, the University of Southern Mississippi, that is often competitive with Ole Miss and MSU). The footballs used in American football in the 1920s were considerably more ovoid and blunter than those in use today and similar to the balls still used in rugby; the shape of the football on the trophy naturally depicts a football from the era when the trophy was first awarded. The trophy thus to modern eyes more resembles an egg than a football; for many years the game has thus been called the "Egg Bowl" and the "Battle for the Golden Egg".

No need to rename it. The Iron Bowl now refers to the tough level of play each team brings to this game.

Also from Wikipedia:

By 1980, when the west upper deck of Jordan-Hare was completed, the only remaining 'neutral site' game on Auburn's schedule was the Iron Bowl, as it had come to be called due to Birmingham's prominence as a center of iron and steel production. Some will also say legendary Auburn coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan dubbed it the Iron Bowl because of the iron will of the players as the game is usually one of the best games of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl

i've said for years it should not be called the iron bowl anymore. that name hasn't been appropriate for years. I will NEVER refer to this game as the irom bowl. It's simply the Auburn-Alabama game. It doesn't need a special name. Let it stand on its own. If naming it is that important, name it the "TIGER BOWL" when played in AUBURN, and the "TOILET BOWL" when played in TuscaLOSER... I personally will refer to it as simply the AUBURN-ALABAMA game.

:au::au: WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :au::au:

Iron Bowl

It no longer speaks of the city.  It speaks of the grit and will of the players.  It means so much more than an homage to Birmingham.  Iron Bowl it will always be.  I got no problem with that.

198799[/snapback]

BINGO! Agree 100%.

IRON BOWL!

Hey. Be careful. We OWN that "stadium" too! :)

No need to rename it.  The Iron Bowl now refers to the tough level of play each team brings to this game.

Also from Wikipedia:

By 1980, when the west upper deck of Jordan-Hare was completed, the only remaining 'neutral site' game on Auburn's schedule was the Iron Bowl, as it had come to be called due to Birmingham's prominence as a center of iron and steel production. Some will also say legendary Auburn coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan dubbed it the Iron Bowl because of the iron will of the players as the game is usually one of the best games of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl

198831[/snapback]

Not only that. This game has always been referred to as a separate "season." You know, forget about the teams' W/L records up to that point because they just don't matter. In essence, this was a special game at the end of the season, ... a bowl game if you will. For those times when either team's W/L record prevented them from going bowling in the normal sense, this game substituted for a Bowl Game. Each team was going to give it their all & play the game as if it was their last game ever. For some seniors, it would be.

I like the name. It's fitting and it goes way beyond B'ham's steel industry past. It personifies the tough play that you'll always witness in this game. And I also like the fact that we don't have some gay trophy (e.g. axe, bucket, egg, "boot", etc.) associated with it -- -- just BRAGGING RIGHTS! :au: WDE

My apologies guys.... I could have sworn CSJ called the Bragg Bowl and Bryant the Iron Bowl...but....the majority have spoken... I too, think the name "Iron Bowl" is cool but stand by my position that the name is about as appropriate as Bamaham being called the "Magic City" or "Football Capital of the South." Get real! There's nothing magic about Bamaham nor is remotely similar to the Football capital of the south.... Bamaham has, is and will be forever, :cheer::au: "Atlanta's Bitch." :big::lol:

It will always be the Iron Bowl, and it should not be changed. Everyone in the country knows that name. The fact that CSJ started it, makes it even more special.

As for "The Dixie Bowl"...are you kidding me?! We would be boycotted from all sides!

The EGG BOWL?!?  :huh:

198807[/snapback]

From Wikipedia

The Egg Bowl is a nickname given to the annual college football game between the University of Mississippi ("Ole Miss") and Mississippi State University. The name derives from a large trophy which has been awarded to the winning team each year since the 1920s. The trophy consists of a large football-shaped brass piece mounted to a wooden base and traditionally symbolizes supremacy in college football in the state of Mississippi for the year (although there is now a third Division I-A team in the state, the University of Southern Mississippi, that is often competitive with Ole Miss and MSU). The footballs used in American football in the 1920s were considerably more ovoid and blunter than those in use today and similar to the balls still used in rugby; the shape of the football on the trophy naturally depicts a football from the era when the trophy was first awarded. The trophy thus to modern eyes more resembles an egg than a football; for many years the game has thus been called the "Egg Bowl" and the "Battle for the Golden Egg".

198830[/snapback]

DUH! Im stupid, i didnt even think of it like that. Thanks for clearing that one up.

My apologies guys.... I could have sworn CSJ called the Bragg Bowl and Bryant the Iron Bowl...but....the majority have spoken... I too, think the name "Iron Bowl" is cool but stand by my position that the name is about as appropriate as Bamaham being called the "Magic City" or "Football Capital of the South." Get real! There's nothing magic about Bamaham nor is remotely similar to the Football capital of the south.... Bamaham has, is and will be forever,  :cheer:   :au:   "Atlanta's Bitch." :big:   :lol:

198849[/snapback]

"Lovelly" bamaham, The Armpit of the State. :thumbsup:

There are some nice areas of Birmingham. Vestavia, Mountain Brook, Hoover, Inverness. Sure, the stretch you see off most of I-65 ain't so grand, but it's not an armpit.

Shug Jordan named the game the Iron Bowl.

Don't remember the year, but it was not a stellar one for the Tigers. About bowl selection time (which used to come earlier) some reporter was talking to Shug about not going to a bowl and he replied, "We've got our own bowl, the Iron Bowl, coming up." (Not necessarily a direct quote.)

Despite the humble origins of the name, I would hate to see it changed.

My apologies guys.... I could have sworn CSJ called the Bragg Bowl and Bryant the Iron Bowl...but....the majority have spoken... I too, think the name "Iron Bowl" is cool but stand by my position that the name is about as appropriate as Bamaham being called the "Magic City" or "Football Capital of the South." Get real! There's nothing magic about Bamaham nor is remotely similar to the Football capital of the south.... Bamaham has, is and will be forever,  :cheer:   :au:   "Atlanta's Bitch." :big:   :lol:

198849[/snapback]

Not much iron being produced in Birmingham either. :(

As far as Birmingham being called the "Football capital of the south", everyone knows UAB plays there. :rolleyes:

Archived