BG03's annual PRE-Iron Bowl post

BamaGrad03

Alright guys. Thought id say a few words before I head on down to Auburn tonight.

First off, I hope we see another AWESOME Iron Bowl where everyone comes out injury free. Im glad that the Iron Bowl is back to meaning something on a national scale. And honestly, I hope AU/UA come in every year ranked high and playing for something more than just pride.

I love this game so much. I love it because I love my state, my team, my conference. I love the Iron Bowl because its not about hate. Its about brother vs brother. Its about a Bama fan defending an AU guy thats getting ragged by a corn doggie because..."you can make fun of me, and I can make fun of him...but YOU can't make fun of him...because he's my brother." I had a guy ask me the other day why the Iron Bowl is such a big deal. And how did it compare to Miami/FSU...And it made me realize, that I love the Iron Bowl because you CANT describe why its better...it just is. (That and the fact that any 'rivalries' in the state of florida have about as much history and tradition as the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl)

I love it because whenever someone wants to make an argument for what the "new" best rivaly in football is...they ALWAYS compare it to the Iron Bowl. We are the benchmark, or the standard if you will. Go anywhere in the country and you'll find somebody who knows about "Punt Bama Punt" or "Van Tiffin". There's a reason why Bama/AU can be out of the race, out of the hunt, and still in the spotlight for one saturday in late november. But, ironically, there are no words to describe what that reason is...it just IS.

While I hope the Tide wins saturday, it wont be a wasted trip if they dont. I've been to my share of Iron Bowls...and not one has gone by where I didn't stop and just 'take it all in'. I love that feeling when you wake up on Iron Bowl saturday. Even if you partied a little too hard the night before, your step is bouncy. I love watching the players warm up before the game...thinking "man thats AUBURN out there. this is about to be a throwdown". Last year Carnell and Ronnie came out by themselves, and it was cool. Being a Bama fan, I found it hard to pull for them at AU, but I never pulled against them. I remember seeing Shaun Alexander have big games against AU and I used to talk to him about it. He always said that game was bigger than the others. A little extra motivation. And he was from KENTUCKY. Imagine what guys like Brandon Cox and Brodie Croyle must feel.

Sorry if I got a little long on this one. Best of luck to your Tigers saturday. I hope we win...but I hope its another classic. I promise if we do win, there will be no male on male action as was displayed by the cajuns last week.

And if you ever catch yourself wondering if the Iron Bowl is the biggest and best rivalry in town...remember: They dont write books about Oregon vs Oregon St.

that's sweet and all but you ain't my brother, which game have you been watching.

This rivalry is all about hate, with a few exceptions (you)

Hang out with more of your kind and you will see.

Auburn /Georgia is the good rivalry, uat is the other. If LSU wants to rag uat I'm all for it.

Welcome to Auburn, have a good time, be respectful of our campus, but until

the bammers clear out of town we are watching our back.

"I love this game so much. I love it because I love my state, my team, my conference. I love the Iron Bowl because its not about hate. Its about brother vs brother. Its about a Bama fan defending an AU guy thats getting ragged by a corn doggie because..."you can make fun of me, and I can make fun of him...but YOU can't make fun of him...because he's my brother."

The guy asked about how it compared to FSU/Miami. I've been to 3 of those games and I would compare the atmosphere of that "Rivalry" to...ooohhh saayyyy...Auburn/Arkansas. Or Auburn/Ole Miss.

Even trying to compare that game to what will occur tomorrow is crap. That series may have had more national implications in recent years, but who cares? That's not the issue. It's everything that's been talked about since the Iron Bowl was played last year. It's the hype and game breakdowns and jokes and general discussions that have gone on for the last week. It's 25-30 thousand fans that will line the streets to form Tiger Walk tomorrow.

It's the fact that I live for this very week every year and I'm sick at my stomach right now and wish this week was over. It's the fear of the unknown but the possibility of winning and owning bragging rights for 365 more days. It's the hope that I can walk around tomorrow night and the rest of the holidays with that big grin on my face that says, "Yea, Auburn won the Iron Bowl."

War Eagle!!! :au::au::au:

Very classy post BamaGrad. I think all of us are hoping for an exciting an injury-free game. And regardless of which side we pull for, we can both take pride in being part of THE BEST rivalry in all of sports.

I hope you have a safe and fun trip, but I hope you leave the stadium a very unhappy Bama fan.

War Damn Eagle!!

I think it be classier if he'd put one of my pics in his sig for 3 months.

"You know that feeling you get when you're leaning back in your chair and you tilt a little and almost fall, but you don't? That's how I feel all the time." - Steven Wright (or something very close to this)

That quote sums up Iron Bowl week for me. Until the clock ticks down to zero, I will feel that way. Even though I haven't lived in Alabama since 1996, this game doesn't lose any intensity for me. I don't even see any tahd fans on a regular basis but I can still hear the jeers from 1973 until they were ended in 1982.

I listened to the audio from the 1972 game today, I actually got a lump in my throat. I was only 3 when it happened, so it's not as if I lived it. But I can feel the glory of the victory just the same.

Unlike BG, I don't feel the brotherly attachment to his side as he does ours. But I do respect them as competitors; at least their students, their team, the university. I repsect them enough to know that the stereotype bammer isn't 100% accurate for all their fans, but there is a large contignet of that caliber. For that group, I love the hatred. And for all those in crimson, I love the intensity, the "end of the world" mentality that goes with the Iron Bowl. Becuase the glory of winning will always outweigh the pain of losing.

I love to hate you guys. And I love you hating us.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need another swig of Pepto.

"You know that feeling you get when you're leaning back in your chair and you tilt a little and almost fall, but you don't? That's how I feel all the time." - Steven Wright (or something very close to this)

That quote sums up Iron Bowl week for me.  Until the clock ticks down to zero, I will feel that way.  Even though I haven't lived in Alabama since 1996, this game doesn't lose any intensity for me.  I don't even see any tahd fans on a regular basis but I can still hear the jeers from 1973 until they were ended in 1982. 

I listened to the audio from the 1972 game today, I actually got a lump in my throat.  I was only 3 when it happened, so it's not as if I lived it.  But I can feel the glory of the victory just the same. 

Unlike BG, I don't feel the brotherly attachment to his side as he does ours.  But I do respect them as competitors; at least their students, their team, the university.  I repsect them enough to know that the stereotype bammer isn't 100% accurate for all their fans, but there is a large contignet of that caliber. For that group, I love the hatred.  And for all those in crimson,  I love the intensity, the "end of the world" mentality that goes with the Iron Bowl. Becuase the glory of winning will always outweigh the pain of losing. 

I love to hate you guys. And I love you hating us. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I need another swig of Pepto.

199474[/snapback]

I love your post. I feel the same way.

Archived