Tied for SEC West championship...

quietfan

Since our "brethren" in Tuscaloosa like to make so much fun of us claiming shares of the SEC West (seems like they'd want to get some for themselves before worrying about ours), here's what the SEC rules say about such claims:

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&chan...l_article_id=46

In the event of a tie for the division championship, the following procedures will be used to break all ties to determine the SEC Football Championship Game representative. All Conference versus Conference Games (both division and non-division) will be counted in the Conference Standings.

So by the rules:

1) a tie for the division championship is an event that CAN happen, and

2) the tie-breakers are used to determine the representative to the SECCG, not the champion of the division

Congratulations to the Auburn Tigers, once again

SEC WEST CO-CHAMPIONS!!

WDE :cheer:

Since our "brethren" in Tuscaloosa like to make so much fun of us claiming shares of the SEC West (seems like they'd want to get some for themselves before worrying about ours), here's what the SEC rules say about such claims:

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&chan...l_article_id=46

In the event of a tie for the division championship, the following procedures will be used to break all ties to determine the SEC Football Championship Game representative. All Conference versus Conference Games (both division and non-division) will be counted in the Conference Standings.

So by the rules:

1) a tie for the division championship is an event that CAN happen, and

2) the tie-breakers are used to determine the representative to the SECCG, not the champion of the division

Congratulations to the Auburn Tigers, once again

SEC WEST CO-CHAMPIONS!!

WDE :cheer:

199970[/snapback]

ATLEAST co-champs. LSU DOES still have another game to win. :D

Does this mean UGA was Co-Champ of the East in 1992?  :blink:

199999[/snapback]

better yet, since LSU will more than likely go to the title game, does this mean GT STILL has more SEC titles that AU??

:poke: just a lil post IB ribbing

Enjoy the "co-west sec championship". Heck, make a flag for it. It'll look nice up there where ya'll removed all of the SEC flags.

Is AU the only team in the SEC not to have the SEC team flags on their stadium? I seem to remember seeing them at LSU, MSU, UM, and USC. Heck, We kept them up and took down our other flags for our renovations. Just irks me a little.

We have them up for every other game except the Iron Bowl.

And I am sure that they were up yesterdy..... Heck, as Brodie! He should know, if he can remember yesterday.....

I had to..... :poke:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Does this mean UGA was Co-Champ of the East in 1992?  :blink:

199999[/snapback]

better yet, since LSU will more than likely go to the title game, does this mean GT STILL has more SEC titles that AU??

:poke: just a lil post IB ribbing

200002[/snapback]

Auburn has more SEC Championships than Georgia Tech. Just another inaccuracy in that email fraught with them.

Is AU the only team in the SEC not to have the SEC team flags on their stadium? I seem to remember seeing them at LSU, MSU, UM, and USC. Heck, We kept them up and took down our other flags for our renovations. Just irks me a little.

200170[/snapback]

They usually have the flags up. I am not sure why they were down for this game.

I was at the LSU/Ole Miss game on Saturday and they have this big banner that reads "2003 SEC Western Division Champions".....its funny reading that when the team you are playing won the National Championship that year and we are in the same division!!!

Pretty funny.... I understand if you wanna "say" you were CO-CHAMPS, but making a huge banner and hanging it in your stadium saying you were THE CHAMPIONS is too funny!!! But then again this is Ole Miss.

Enjoy the "co-west sec championship". Heck, make a flag for it. It'll look nice up there where ya'll removed all of the SEC flags.

200170[/snapback]

We took 'em down for one reason, to "irk" uaters. Glad to see it worked! :lol::lol:

autigeremt, Tigrinum Major, & WarTim:

The flags were also not up at the Georgia Tech game (I was there). As far as I know, and from talking to friends, they have not been flown all year.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The flags were also not up at the Georgia Tech game (I was there). As far as I know, and from talking to friends, they have not been flown all year.

200297[/snapback]

They were up at the South Carolina game, because my son asked me why we has a flag from another school flying.

200297[/snapback]

They have been flown this year.

I remember, because I REALLY liked the championship Flags and was disappointed to see all the SEC flags go up again. My guess is its TV related.

Big Time National TV Game? Show AUBURN flags flying around your stadium. Good for recruiting I guess.

Why should we appease the visiting fans again? We don't hang Bama Logos around the field either, nor do we paint Bama in the endzone, so why should we fly other SEC flags?

Regardless, if LSU ends up in Atlanta, it will have beaten every West team. That sounds like like the champion to me. ;):homer:

I'm not much of one for loudly proclaiming "co" anything, especially if it only involves a conference division when we lost the head-to-head. It makes nice copy (won or shared X number of division titles) for page 247 of the media guides, but that's about it.

'57, '83, '87, '88, '89 and '04 are acceptable...we shared two of those, but that was pre-divisional play. '89 was a true "tri-championship" with Alabama and Tennessee...each team was 6-1 in league and was 1-1 against the other two.

200297[/snapback]

I remember, because I REALLY liked the championship Flags and was disappointed to see all the SEC flags go up again. My guess is its TV related.

Big Time National TV Game? Show AUBURN flags flying around your stadium. Good for recruiting I guess.

Why should we appease the visiting fans again? We don't hang Bama Logos around the field either, nor do we paint Bama in the endzone, so why should we fly other SEC flags?

200317[/snapback]

How about showing respect for the SEC?

200297[/snapback]

200317[/snapback]

How about showing respect for the SEC?

200361[/snapback]

And what is on the upper left hand shoulder of every Auburn player?

ibb1.jpg

And to answer the original question... The SEC issues a trophy for each Co-Divisional Championship, therefore the SEC will declare AU as the SEC West Champion. I, as a fan, don't claim it though. Auburn University will simply add the trophy to the hardware case!

Archived