Who wins the SECCG? UGA or LSU

SouthLink02

Who wins the SECCG? UGA or LSU  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the SECCG? UGA or LSU

• Georgia
    • LSU

i don't know who will win b/c there are mismatches in favor of both teams, but i know i'll be pulling for uga. i am so freakin' sick of watching lsu win games they have no business winning.

they should have lost to auburn (we beat them up and down the field, but we just didn't finish in the endzone and left too much on the foot of a kicker), they had to come back against a barely above average bama team (and that's just a joke), they should have lost yesterday to arkansas (that's a combined 2-9 on field goals in two games AT HOME to give lsu wins). it's enough to make you see thanksgiving dinner again. and i think back on some of the crap lsu fans said after the auburn game (the highlight of which was a classic "we whooped your ass" comment after an overtime win).

whatever, i hope uga dominates lsu. i hope leonard pope sets an sec record for most catches in a game. i hope justin vincent gets exposed for the average back he is just like he was for most of the last two years. hunker down you hairy dogs!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One win by a few points is perhaps lucky;  two wins by a few points is perhaps a coincidence; three, four and five wins by a few points is well...a trend.  I can remember a time when LSU was always on the losing side of a close game and now they win the close ones. 

IT IS THE FINAL SCORE THAT COUNTS...NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

Was this cut and pasted from a 'Bama fan's post a few weeks ago? Winning close and lucky has a tendency to catch up with you, as 'Bama and Croyle learned so violently in their last 2 games. LSU may pull it off again in Atlanta, but their performance this year has earned a lot more doubters than believers...

Doesn't matter.   This year the SEC Champion will have the distinction of being the 2nd best team in the conference.

201483[/snapback]

You mean head to head results don't mean anything? Hmm, how else can we determine who is the best? Until you can come up with something better the SEC champion is and will always will be the best team in the league and this year that's going to be either LSU or GA.

201507[/snapback]

Didn't say that. Head to head results determine who goes to the SEC CG and who is declared SEC Champs. And if someone is really simple minded, the analysis can end right there. I simply think the most capable team at the end of the season is AU and many analysts I have read agree. If UGA beats LSU, AU may end up the highest rated team in the conference. But you use whatever approach you wish.

Don't forget UGA barely pulled out a win against Arkansas also. (23-20)  That's how SEC football is. 

We lost Shockley in the 1st half of that game though and never recovered. Not really an excuse as Ark isnt a terrible team but we were rolling against them until DJ went down.

Don't forget UGA barely pulled out a win against Arkansas also. (23-20)  That's how SEC football is. 

We lost Shockley in the 1st half of that game though and never recovered. Not really an excuse as Ark isnt a terrible team but we were rolling against them until DJ went down.

201538[/snapback]

Actually, that is a good excuse. Shockley is the best QB in the league. If he didn't get hurt UGA could very well be undefeated.

Take the last two games, they would have lost to Alabama and Auburn if they played them like they did Ark, or the first half of Alabama. LSU put together their most complete game against us.

201514[/snapback]

Well, I think you can point out one game from just about any football team in the country and say if they would have played that bad they would have lost to this team and that team. LSU has not had any open dates this year. I'm sure they were looking ahead to UGA. They were completely flat against Arkansas. Don't forget UGA barely pulled out a win against Arkansas also. (23-20) That's how SEC football is. Just because LSU looked bad against Arkansas doesn't mean they will play the same against UGA.

201523[/snapback]

Take the whole post not just snippets, cause those two games are related to the other points of Miles having multiple off games in all his seasons as a head coach.

Miles teams do it more than once a year as habbit, but maybe he is over that like I said. What has traditionally been his achilles heel has not bitten him this year due to the games it happened in. He had the talent to overcome it.

Don't forget that Georgia also lost DJ early in the Arkansas game btw.

Also my post was in respones due to the fact that I am one of those that said he would have to adjust to the league, and said I was wrong. His off games and halfs didn't kill him this year like they did at OSU, because of the talent. He got the breaks and dodged some major bullets this year.

Completly flat and Les Miles have gone together more than just one game per year every year over his coaching tenure. Ask Oklahoma State fans if you don't believe it.

Doesn't matter.   This year the SEC Champion will have the distinction of being the 2nd best team in the conference.

201483[/snapback]

You mean head to head results don't mean anything? Hmm, how else can we determine who is the best? Until you can come up with something better the SEC champion is and will always will be the best team in the league and this year that's going to be either LSU or GA.

201507[/snapback]

Didn't say that. Head to head results determine who goes to the SEC CG and who is declared SEC Champs. And if someone is really simple minded, the analysis can end right there. I simply think the most capable team at the end of the season is AU and many analysts I have read agree. If UGA beats LSU, AU may end up the highest rated team in the conference. But you use whatever approach you wish.

201533[/snapback]

All I'm saying is whoever wins the championship should be declared the best simply because they had the best season from start to finish. If UGA wins Southlink will get a congratulations for the win and a you were the best team in the conference this year from me. No excuses. I don't care who looked better the entire season, who had better stats, who won by more points, etc.

How many of those analysts you refer to thought USC was better than AU last year? Who cares what analysts think.

Take the last two games, they would have lost to Alabama and Auburn if they played them like they did Ark, or the first half of Alabama. LSU put together their most complete game against us.

201514[/snapback]

Well, I think you can point out one game from just about any football team in the country and say if they would have played that bad they would have lost to this team and that team. LSU has not had any open dates this year. I'm sure they were looking ahead to UGA. They were completely flat against Arkansas. Don't forget UGA barely pulled out a win against Arkansas also. (23-20) That's how SEC football is. Just because LSU looked bad against Arkansas doesn't mean they will play the same against UGA.

201523[/snapback]

Take the whole post not just snippets, cause those two games are related to the other points of Miles having multiple off games in all his seasons as a head coach.

201549[/snapback]

I took just the snippet because that's what I disagreed with but point taken. I think that hot and cold streak you are talking about with Les is happening within games (First half cold, second half hot.) and not entire games. I think that's why we are able to pull off the wins. LSU has not had a complete game this year.

201483[/snapback]

201507[/snapback]

201533[/snapback]

All I'm saying is whoever wins the championship should be declared the best simply because they had the best season from start to finish. If UGA wins Southlink will get a congratulations for the win and a you were the best team in the conference this year from me. No excuses. I don't care who looked better the entire season, who had better stats, who won by more points, etc.

How many of those analysts you refer to thought USC was better than AU last year? Who cares what analysts think.

201553[/snapback]

I don't necessarily care what they think, other than I hope AU gets the highest rating possible at this point because it is good for recruiting.

If UGA wins, I'll congratulate Southlink on winning the SEC, because that is what UGA will have done. I won't say, "Well, gee whiz Southlink, I coulda sworn we were at least as good as UGA, if not better, but I guess I was wrong."

Look, I'm not the one who said you shouldn't think what you think. You challenged my view and essentially said your view is the correct one. Think what you want. But this post is logically inconsistent:

UGA may win the SEC CG. AU won the head-to-head with GA. "How else can we determine who is best?" So which argument are you making? Head-to-head or SEC CG?

Miles has his good games and his bad games.  He caught the breaks this season with who he did this with this year.  Though he did pull the usual choke with Tenn.

LSU has excellent talent, Miles just has a tendency to go hot and cold as a coach.  My sister went to OSU and I saw alot of their games, I've seen him do it more than once.  Perhaps this might be the season that gets him through that.

Thats why I said he would have to adjust, due to his hot cold streaks.  He wouldn't be able to play lights out one week and then flounder the next. I was wrong and he got away with it this year, and alot of that had to do with the talent he had.

201514[/snapback]

If, if, if, if...if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a great x-mas. The fact is LSU didn't play against Auburn and Alabama like they did against Arkansas. The fact is LSU beat Auburn, Alabama and Arkansas. The fact is LSU put together a better season record (regular season and SEC) than any other team in the SEC West, is playing in the SEC Championship game for the 3rd time in 5 years, and beat Auburn 20-17...so, stop your whining.

i don't know who will win b/c there are mismatches in favor of both teams, but i know i'll be pulling for uga. i am so freakin' sick of watching lsu win games they have no business winning.

they should have lost to auburn (we beat them up and down the field, but we just didn't finish in the endzone and left too much on the foot of a kicker), they had to come back against a barely above average bama team (and that's just a joke), they should have lost yesterday to arkansas (that's a combined 2-9 on field goals in two games AT HOME to give lsu wins). it's enough to make you see thanksgiving dinner again. and i think back on some of the crap lsu fans said after the auburn game (the highlight of which was a classic "we whooped your ass" comment after an overtime win).

whatever, i hope uga dominates lsu. i hope leonard pope sets an sec record for most catches in a game. i hope justin vincent gets exposed for the average back he is just like he was for most of the last two years. hunker down you hairy dogs!

201526[/snapback]

Shoulda, woulda, coulda but they didn't!!! Didn't finish in the endzone and left too much on the foot of a kicker??? Last I recall, finishing includes a complete game from offense, defense and special teams. As for 'bama, LSU exposed them and took it out of them so you can thank LSU for your easy time against 'bama. As for having no business winning games then certainly you will remember that LSU dominated statistically against Auburn in 2004 but c'est la vie.

The beauty of LSU's season and, in particular, the Auburn win is the fact that everyone says LSU has a mediocre coach and he beat them all save and except Tennessee.

:lsu: 20 - :au: 17!!!

ifs are part of sports. we all enjoy thinking about what was (a throttling of bama, a classic win at georgia, watching a young offense mature into one of the five best in the nation imo, etc.), but we (college football fans) also love looking back at the almost weres (aka the volumes of articles written about the auburn/usc game that never was or the oregon/miami game that never was in 2001 or the lsu/usc game that never was in 2003 or the man if we had just made that play comments that you hear year around in the south no matter what team you cheer for... unless you go unbeaten like we did last year). that's just the way football fans are. you can break down seasons turning on single plays in this game, and we, as fans, usually do just that.

so, it's not making excuses to say lsu backed into a bunch of wins. it's just looking at the plays that normally would have gone against you, and for whatever reason be it fate, luck, perseverence, talent, whatever, they didn't go against you this year. i mean even lsu fans have to admit that a guy missing five field goals in one game is a weak way to win a game. or hitting a 40 yard rolling to your left pass to win a game is rare. or winning a game b/c a kid misses a 28 yarder is even weaker. that's all i'm saying. beat a good team by more than fate or blind luck or whatever and i'll give you a little more props.

and i think all texastiger is saying is that auburn is playing the best ball in the conference right now. and i think that's true. i think georgia fans might just agree. i know bama fans would agree. we're the best at the close of the season. it doesn't cheapen the ring you win in atlanta for people to say that. and i'll give congrats to the winner. but that won't change my opinion that no one in this conference wants a piece of auburn right now.

UGA may win the SEC CG.  AU won the head-to-head with GA.  "How else can we determine who is best?"  So which argument are you making?  Head-to-head or SEC CG?

201558[/snapback]

Simple, you determine who is best by overall season performance including the SEC Championship game. LSU is the best in the West and Georgia is the best in the East despite the SECCG outcome and, the winner is declared the best in the SEC. To try an rationalize it any other way is just plain stupid!

:lsu: 2005 SEC Western Division Champions

ifs are part of sports. we all enjoy thinking about what was (a throttling of bama, a classic win at georgia, watching a young offense mature into one of the five best in the nation imo, etc.), but we (college football fans) also love looking back at the almost weres (aka the volumes of articles written about the auburn/usc game that never was or the oregon/miami game that never was in 2001 or the lsu/usc game that never was in 2003 or the man if we had just made that play comments that you hear year around in the south no matter what team you cheer for... unless you go unbeaten like we did last year). that's just the way football fans are. you can break down seasons turning on single plays in this game, and we, as fans, usually do just that.

so, it's not making excuses to say lsu backed into a bunch of wins. it's just looking at the plays that normally would have gone against you, and for whatever reason be it fate, luck, perseverence, talent, whatever, they didn't go against you this year. i mean even lsu fans have to admit that a guy missing five field goals in one game is a weak way to win a game. or hitting a 40 yard rolling to your left pass to win a game is rare. or winning a game b/c a kid misses a 28 yarder is even weaker. that's all i'm saying. beat a good team by more than fate or blind luck or whatever and i'll give you a little more props.

and i think all texastiger is saying is that auburn is playing the best ball in the conference right now. and i think that's true. i think georgia fans might just agree. i know bama fans would agree. we're the best at the close of the season. it doesn't cheapen the ring you win in atlanta for people to say that. and i'll give congrats to the winner. but that won't change my opinion that no one in this conference wants a piece of auburn right now.

201573[/snapback]

This sounds a lot like Georgia fans in 2003 after the 1st LSU victory. All we heard after that game was the best team didn't win...LSU got lucky because an All-American field goal kicker missed 3 fgs...well, we know the outcome of the SECCG and I'm sure LSU players would like to play the Auburn game again more so than Auburn would have like to play LSU again in 2004.

Back into a win you say? The easiest explanation is that the team who makes the plays wins and Auburn didn't! As for playing the best ball in the SEC right now, it has to be LSU hands down as they have won 8 consecutive to end the season.

LSU hopefully played the worst game of the season v. Ark. (I threw away the Tenn. game because I just can't bare to remember it.

LSU should win because of their defense. I am curious. Most LSU fans that I know (not those on posting boards) pull for the West Div. in the SECCG. Is it the same at Auburn?

UGA may win the SEC CG.  AU won the head-to-head with GA.  "How else can we determine who is best?"  So which argument are you making?  Head-to-head or SEC CG?

201558[/snapback]

Simple, you determine who is best by overall season performance including the SEC Championship game. LSU is the best in the West and Georgia is the best in the East despite the SECCG outcome and, the winner is declared the best in the SEC. To try an rationalize it any other way is just plain stupid!

:lsu: 2005 SEC Western Division Champions

201574[/snapback]

"...the winner is declared the best in the SEC." Okay. "Declared."

If Colorado somehow slips up and wins the Big 12 Championship, I suppose they will be declared the best in the Big 12. Okay.

Of course no one with the ability to think for themselves accepts this. Championships are great. Among thinking people, however, they don't necessarily stop discussion about which team is "best." Why do you find this so threatening? If LSU wins the SEC CG they will have much to celebrate and a great case to make that they are the best team in the SEC. Make your case. But if you think once you make your case it's case closed, stay off of discussion boards. You miss the point of being on such a forum.

Or, to use your words, in part, the term "best" is highly subjective in any context, and for those who have such problems hearing someone's opinion to visit a

discussion board "is just plain stupid!"

LSU hopefully played the worst game of the season v. Ark.  (I threw away the Tenn. game because I just can't bare to remember it.

LSU should win because of their defense.  I am curious.  Most LSU fans that I know (not those on posting boards) pull for the West Div. in the SECCG.  Is it the same at Auburn?

201581[/snapback]

Not when an LSU loss likely puts :au: ahead in the rankings.

201483[/snapback]

201507[/snapback]

201533[/snapback]

201553[/snapback]

I don't necessarily care what they think, other than I hope AU gets the highest rating possible at this point because it is good for recruiting.

If UGA wins, I'll congratulate Southlink on winning the SEC, because that is what UGA will have done. I won't say, "Well, gee whiz Southlink, I coulda sworn we were at least as good as UGA, if not better, but I guess I was wrong."

Look, I'm not the one who said you shouldn't think what you think. You challenged my view and essentially said your view is the correct one. Think what you want. But this post is logically inconsistent:

UGA may win the SEC CG. AU won the head-to-head with GA. "How else can we determine who is best?" So which argument are you making? Head-to-head or SEC CG?

201558[/snapback]

You make a valid point. I think it's a combination of head to head and overall season. (SEC Championship) If LSU wins it's head to head competition along with overall season that comes into play. If UGA wins it it's overall season that comes into play. On a side note if UGA loses to GA Tech then whoever wins the SEC Championship will be the best in the conference but that may not be saying much this year. :(

If LSU wins the SEC CG they will have much to celebrate and a great case to make that they are the best team in the SEC.  Make your case.  But if you think once you make your case it's case closed, stay off of discussion boards.  You miss the point of being on such a forum.

Whether it's LSU or GA that wins the SEC Championship game they will not have a great case to make. They will have made their case for being the best team in the conference. The winning of the Championship makes their case. If the winner of the Championship is not the means of determining who's the best then you might as well say there's no best team in college football or any sport because everything else is subjective. You can say this is simple thinking but I say it's the best non-biased way of determining who's the best. Why even have a championship game if it's not to determine who's the best?

Miles has his good games and his bad games.  He caught the breaks this season with who he did this with this year.  Though he did pull the usual choke with Tenn.

LSU has excellent talent, Miles just has a tendency to go hot and cold as a coach.  My sister went to OSU and I saw alot of their games, I've seen him do it more than once.  Perhaps this might be the season that gets him through that.

Thats why I said he would have to adjust, due to his hot cold streaks.  He wouldn't be able to play lights out one week and then flounder the next. I was wrong and he got away with it this year, and alot of that had to do with the talent he had.

201514[/snapback]

If, if, if, if...if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a great x-mas. The fact is LSU didn't play against Auburn and Alabama like they did against Arkansas. The fact is LSU beat Auburn, Alabama and Arkansas. The fact is LSU put together a better season record (regular season and SEC) than any other team in the SEC West, is playing in the SEC Championship game for the 3rd time in 5 years, and beat Auburn 20-17...so, stop your whining.

201569[/snapback]

Not whining, learn how to read and use comprehension. Someone made the comment that Auburn people said Miles had to adjust, I said that and admited that I was wrong because he got away with the things this season due to LSU's talent that has been his achilles heel his entire coaching tenure.

Fact is, Miles pulled the choke that he usually does with Tenn, fact is that his team came out flat in more than one game, fact is that fortunatly for him his talent was enough to overcome it, fact is coming out flat is a Miles trademark and he did it this year again.

Now besides the fact that I owned up to where I was wrong about him this season that it didn't bite him, but I am right that he still has problems bringing teams out flat where did I whine?

I made no excuses for Auburn losing and was the first to grats ya'll on the win and said you deserved it you :moon:

201526[/snapback]

You can play the should, would, could game all night long with any team. The game of football is played whereby the team with the most points is the winner and the team with the fewest points is the loser. Wins and losses are determined this way. LSU beat Auburn heads up, 5 missed field goals or not. I could make the argument that LSU receivers dropped two passes that could have resulted in TD's (there's that pesky "could" word again). Those missed 14 points on LSU's side of the ledger vs. the 15 points you guys "could" have had with the 5 missed FG's pretty much gets us back to square one. Evenly matched teams, although I believe at this time Auburn is playing the best football in the SEC. But, as with the BCS and rankings, we all know that timing is everything. I have been watching LSU football for 30 yrs. and the one thing that is consistent about LSU is its inconsistency. I have no idea what team will show up against Georgia. I do know one stat, though-Jamarcus Russell is 13-1 as a starter and he thrives in pressure situations. I wouldn't bet against him! :lsu:

If LSU wins the SEC CG they will have much to celebrate and a great case to make that they are the best team in the SEC.  Make your case.  But if you think once you make your case it's case closed, stay off of discussion boards.  You miss the point of being on such a forum.

Whether it's LSU or GA that wins the SEC Championship game they will not have a great case to make. They will have made their case for being the best team in the conference. The winning of the Championship makes their case. If the winner of the Championship is not the means of determining who's the best then you might as well say there's no best team in college football or any sport because everything else is subjective. You can say this is simple thinking but I say it's the best non-biased way of determining who's the best. Why even have a championship game if it's not to determine who's the best?

201608[/snapback]

You have a championship game to determine who is the champion. That is simple. You may say it is also the best non-biased way of determining who is "best." Fair enough. But in sports and everything else, people have opinions and make their case. There is no process that definitively determines who is "best." There is a process for determining who won when it counted. Everyone wants to win when it counts. Everyone would like to win the championship. Winning the championship typically states a strong case, but not always.

As I mentioned before, what if by some strange turn of events, Colorado beats Texas for the Big 12 championship. Will everyone agree the Buffs are the best? You and the drunk Colorado fans, maybe.

Take the NCAA basketball tourney. Teams with losing records have won their conference tourney. The tourney determines the conference champion, not the regular season. So do those regular season games ever matter? In 1985, an 8th seeded AU team won the conference title. It won when it mattered most. It was "best" when it mattered most. Was it without question the best team in the conference? People had a variety of opinions about that, and as happy as I was with that AU championship, those other opinions folks had about who they thought the best team was didn't offend me in the least. And I understood their point.

I don't know why this is difficult. You're comfortable with the equation that the conference champion is the "best" team. Fine. Believe that. It is a belief and nothing more. But why are you so concerned if someone doesn't see that equation as foolproof?

It was Tenn that exposed and demonstrated the Alabama weakness btw, not LSU, mean its not like it was rocket science to figure out a decent front 4 could pressure Brodie. Tenn also exposed the fact that Miles will find a way to choke and lose to a under .500 team he should beat. When he stops doing it I'll leave him alone about it.

Archived