Just Announced on Finebaum

Guest Tigrinum Major

I don't know... if I had the lure of millions (or even hundreds of thousands) of dollars to leave school early, I might have given up the Industrial Management degree!!!

I hate to see him go; wish he would have stayed, etc. but I don't feel that he made this decision in haste. He struggled early with academics and that may be playing a role in his decision...maybe not.

You gotta look at the posibility of one freak play or hit during spring/summer/fall and you might not be playing anywhere next year. The Vince Youngs, Reggie Bushes, etc. of the world are taking a BIG risk by coming back to play their senior seasons. What is Vince Young going to do to top 467 yards in the Rose Bowl? He could pull a Brodie Croyle and blow out a knee on a non-contact play and have nothing for the rest of his life. Reggie Bush won the Heisman; what's next? Stanley had a strong finish at the end of the year and may be worried that a weak finish to next year might hurt his chances of being drafted.

I hope David Irons comes back next year. The secondary is going to need all the help they can get!!

College players can purchase insurance against a career ending injury. This happens very often and is a smart move to insure against disaster.

He'll still get drafted and he'll make his money, but I think he's costing himself a lot of money by leaving early. If he came back and had a stellar senior season and show that this year's lower numbers were truly due to injury, he'd skyrocket his potential before ever stepping foot in the combine. Ultimately, the combine will probably make McClover a higher pick. He's healthy and will be able to showcase his physical ability. I think he'll still be a decently high selection.

idk why everyone keeps repeating the same thing about him making a bad decision. That point has been made- majority here thinks he's doing the wrong thing. But guess what, the decision has been made, now lets wish him the best of luck, and MOVE ON... This just opens the door for someone else who will be here for 3-4 years. And honestly i'm looking forward to seeing who all steps up next year...WDE!!! :cheer::au::cheer:

I was not trying to start a holy war concerning the rights and wrongs of staying/going. The water is way to muddy for there to be a clear cut answer to that. There are good arguments from and against ALL sides. I guess it just touches a nerve when I hear some people talk like these guys owe the University something. They don't! You hope they contribute to the University in some way wether it be through money, support, good press, whatever. I wish each one of them would stay their entire time and flourish on and off the field but that is not the way of the real world and I guess that is what i was getting at.

I don't think it will be a major problem with him leaving. He is a good player but he is replaceable. I have always thought he caused a lot of problems with his inability to stop the run. I wish he would stay but I'm not going to loose any sleep over his early exit. Good Luck Stanley

The silver lining for the team with regards to this is that given CTT's recruiting strategy, we are able to absorb a loss on the d line easier than most anywhere else on the team. He recruits d linemen first every year and makes them a high priority in every class. Of course, some become o linemen, but that has worked well. I'm sure SM did what was in the best interest of him and his family and I wish him the best, but we are not exactly short handed at his position. Especially if this recruiting class turns out as planned.

Archived