Vandy Makes A Move TO Strengthen Schedule

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Lone Regular Season SEC - Big Ten Matchup in 2006

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Vanderbilt canceled its Sept. 2 home opener on Tuesday for a deal to start the 2006 season at Michigan in a game to be televised on ESPN.

It will be the lone regular-season game between teams from the Southeastern Conference and Big Ten, and it will be Vanderbilt's first season opener on ESPN since playing Alabama in 1997.

Vanderbilt dropped its scheduled home opener against Middle Tennessee, which has won three straight against the Commodores in Nashville. School officials said they hope to reschedule the game in an upcoming season.

Middle Tennessee athletic director Chris Massaro said the move was disappointing but credited Vanderbilt officials with keeping them informed throughout the negotiations.

Feel free to opine.

Before anyone bashes Jay Jacobs over his inability to schedule a team like Michigan, take note that there is no talk of a return trip to Nashville.

Good Lord, this is going to be a slaughter. Too bad Jay Cutler didn't have 1 more season for the 'Dores.

No return trip on Michigan's part. Typical Big10 move there.

Ummmm Two things in response:

1) Yea... not the best year for Vandy to do that

2) On no return by Michigan....

1) Probably not big enough of a stadium to go out of conference?

2) Auburn isn't going to WSU, so don't say it's a typical Big 10 move.

Ummmm Two things in response:

1) Yea... not the best year for Vandy to do that

2) On no return by Michigan....

1) Probably not big enough of a stadium to go out of conference?

2) Auburn isn't going to WSU, so don't say it's a typical Big 10 move.

210554[/snapback]

Agreed...

Vandy is not a program that deserves a return trip. Not from Michigan. That's why I am dumbfounded that Bama decided to do a home and home w/ Duke!! What in the world does Bama have to gain from a home and home w/ Duke?!

Vanderbilt dropped its scheduled home opener against Middle Tennessee, which has won three straight against the Commodores in Nashville. School officials said they hope to reschedule the game in an upcoming season.

wow! sounds like u of m should be playing Middle Tennessee rather than Vandy.

It seems strange to me that Michigan would schedule a game with Vanderbilt but just a few short months ago AUBURN tried to get a game with Michigan and Michigan said they didn't have room on the schedule. What gives?

Guest Tigrinum Major
It seems strange to me that Michigan would schedule a game with Vanderbilt but just a few short months ago AUBURN tried to get a game with Michigan and Michigan said they didn't have room on the schedule.  What gives?

210580[/snapback]

Home amd home demands.

Was it the schedule that made them not want to play AU?

I never heard a very clear reason but I thought I understood they wanted to play us, but only in Michigan - not in AU. No home and home, and I thought that was what killed negotiations.

With regard to Bama's home and home with Duke, are they going to play that in a different location in NC or will that be on Duke's campus? That stadium is not only small, but quite possibly the biggest dump in D-1 football.

Cameron Indoor is such a cool basketball facility because of it's history, the Crazies and it being so old that makes it attractive. But the football stadium is in worse shape than Cameron and they have absolutely ZERO history or tradition.

Vandy probably wants to play a team they can beat... B)

They've lost three straight to the Blue Raiders...this year's loss cost them a bowl game.

How big is Duke's stadium? That does seem like a bad move.

Also... if Michigan didn't want to play us, the only thing I can think of was the home-home thing as mentioned earlier, or maybe we were trying another week besides opening weekend. I think we have all learned over the past 4 years that scheduling a bowl opponent (or "National Champions") is a bad idea to start off the year.

Alabama has played at both Louisiana Tech (Ruston?) and Cincinnati in the last 10-15 years. They also played at Boston College in 1984, I think it was.

Alabama has played at both Louisiana Tech (Ruston?) and Cincinnati in the last 10-15 years.  They also played at Boston College in 1984, I think it was.

210670[/snapback]

And two trips to the big island recently - oh wait, that was their "bowl" games. :poke:

I never knew what opine meant I guess I'm not smart enough so I looked it up...

Opine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To have an opinion; to judge; to think; to suppose.

good word

Vandy will give the wolvs a good game but no return trip that sucks

Archived