Spurrier on recruiting

Tigermike

I copied this from another site and do not have a link. I did look over the AJC site but did not find the article, therefore if the mods need to delete, they know how.

Spurrier on recruiting and a jab at Bama.  This is from the AJC - read all the way to the end for the jab at Bama jab - too funny.

Steve Spurrier has always been amused with the hype over recruiting.

"The year we got Brock Berlin and all those guys, everybody said we had the No. 1 class in the country," Spurrier said of his next-to-last recruiting class at Florida. "Four years later, hardly any of them were still there.

"I've just always felt that what counts is what they do after you sign them — not before."

Spurrier, recruiting his second class at South Carolina, has always enjoyed poking fun at opponents who claim victory on national signing day but come up short on game day.

He was at Duke when Mack Brown became head coach at North Carolina in 1988, then earned rave reviews as he dominated the state in recruiting. But Spurrier's Blue Devils beat Brown's Tar Heels in 1988 (35-29) and '89 (41-0), the last one capping an ACC championship season.

In the summer of '91, Spurrier read an article in a Georgia fan magazine claiming the Bulldogs had recruited better than anybody in the SEC under Ray Goff. Florida, Spurrier said, was ranked No. 5. After beating Georgia 45-13 in Jacksonville a few months later, Spurrier uttered the words that still live in infamy for Georgia fans:

"How is it when Georgia signs people, they get the 'best' players, but when we play, we've got the best players? Georgia has signed a lot of good players. Something just happens to them at Georgia, I guess."

Spurrier was 11-1 against Georgia in 12 years at Florida.

He loved tormenting Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer, who would bring in one nationally ranked recruiting class after another. Spurrier was 7-3 against Fulmer. Tennessee's prize recruit, Peyton Manning, was 0-4 against the Evil Genius.

Spurrier's critics said he pooh-poohed recruiting because it was hard work at a time when he would rather be playing golf. They said his ego wouldn't allow him to grovel before an 18-year-old.

"If somebody is looking for something negative to say, I guess they can find it," said Spurrier, who left Florida after the 2001 season and spent two seasons with the Washington Redskins. "Last time I looked, we had a bunch of pretty good players on NFL rosters. We must have done something right."

In 2005, there were 37 former Gators on NFL rosters. Only Florida State had more with 42. Of that total, 33 were recruited to Florida by Spurrier and his staff.

"Oh, we got our fair share of guys," Spurrier said. "When I look back, though, I can say that FSU probably outrecruited us. It seemed like they got two out of three guys if both of us really wanted them."

At South Carolina, Spurrier appears to have a much tougher job when it comes to recruiting. He's in a smaller state with considerably fewer Division I-A prospects.

Spurrier, however, insists he's going about the job of recruiting no differently than when he was the head Gator.

"Oh, we've got a list like everyone else does," said Spurrier, whose class is ranked between No. 30 and 33 by recruiting services with a week and a half to go until signing day. "We're selling the ability to play early more than I did down at Florida. We're not loaded right now. If they come here, there is not going to be a whole lot of guys they have to beat out."

Spurrier said there's one big difference in his recruiting situation at South Carolina and the one he had at Florida.

"This year we're going to sign some kids from Alabama," said Spurrier, who has landed four players from the state, including safety Darian Stewart, who committed last week. "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama."

He started to leave it at that, but he just couldn't resist.

"Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours," he said.

If you "walk the walk", then you can "talk the talk." I love it because it must have frosted the Bammers....... :big::big::thumbsup::usc:

That Stewart kid from Huntsville at the end of the article is going to be a great one at SC for the Evil One.

One thing Spurrier loves to do is point to 1-2 years that UGA out-recruited UF per the system and then use that as a reason rankings mean nothing.

Fact is, UF out-recruited us yearly except for 1-2 Donnan/Goff years.

Spurrier is getting his ass-kicked with recruiting this year. At UF, he got whoever he wanted and it shows in how great his classes were at UF. Clemson and UGA are owning him with people that HE wants. He has whiffed on so many people this year that it is comical.

USC will end up with a decent class and I am sure Spurrier will make them a solid team in the future, but he also knows that he isnt at UF anymore and kids are not flocking to his team.

If you "walk the walk", then you can "talk the talk." I love it because it must have frosted the Bammers....... :big:   :big:   :thumbsup:   :usc:

213394[/snapback]

"There's two kinds of people in this world, those that Walk the Walk and those that Talk the Talk........Those that Walk the Walk usually don't Talk, because they're too busy Walking. Then those that Talk the Talk usually get people to Walk for them." --- Hustle-n-Flow

One thing Spurrier loves to do is point to 1-2 years that UGA out-recruited UF per the system and then use that as a reason rankings mean nothing.

Fact is, UF out-recruited us yearly except for 1-2 Donnan/Goff years.

Spurrier is getting his ass-kicked with recruiting this year. At UF, he got whoever he wanted and it shows in how great his classes were at UF. Clemson and UGA are owning him with people that HE wants. He has whiffed on so many people this year that it is comical.

USC will end up with a decent class and I am sure Spurrier will make them a solid team in the future, but he also knows that he isnt at UF anymore and kids are not flocking to his team.

213412[/snapback]

PFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.......

Get over it already.

Get over it already.

Get over what?

Everything I said was true.

Spurrier is a great coach who owns us but he is getting his ass handed to him by multiple schools when it comes to many recruits. It didn't help his top recruiting coach left too. When I say getting his but handed to him, I am NOT saying he will get a bad class. I think they end up Top 20-25. I am talking about their first choices and even second choices. If you think I am exaggerating, go to GamecockCentral.com and see for yourself. They even admit to striking out with so many.

"I've just always felt that what counts is what they do after you sign them — not before."

Nice, so the Bammers will have to concede the 2006 NC now... :roflol:

"Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours," he said.

:roflol::lmao:

ok sorry I couldn't help myself.

Get over it already.

213438[/snapback]

Going 1-for-12 obviously still stings (although most of them probably predated his Dawg-dom?). After that, I guess you take every victory you can.

Going 1-for-12 obviously still stings

Auburn was 3-10 against him. Far from great either.

213549[/snapback]

His total record in the SEC while at Florida was something like 86-14.

He pretty much p0wnd everybody.

frame019zr.jpg

I think that he is doing the best he can.......still trying to relive his glory day at florida.....but as he learned last year he is not at fl anymore and he cant just trow his visor on the field and the other team give up any more!!!!!!! I like the hustle and flow comment Prowler :big:

213549[/snapback]

far from great but better than 1 for 12

.230 might keep you in the bigs or AAA ball, but .083 is 'bush league' at best :D

213549[/snapback]

.230 might keep you in the bigs or AAA ball, but .083 is 'bush league' at best :D

214035[/snapback]

i don't care who you are.....that's funny rite 'dere!

bama's scholly's worth more?.............priceless oh visored one. priceless.

Of course. Never said otherwise. But both stats show that he owned by AU and UGA along with a lot of other teams.

I seem to remember that every time AU beat Spurrier's UF team, the Gators were ranked #1 in the nation at the time.  That's gotta count for something.  :D

214165[/snapback]

I agree! :au::au::big:

Someone's numbers are wrong, we cant be 3-10 for his 12 years at Florida.

Also if you look at it a differant way we handed him 3 of his 14 losses that's 21%, not bad. ;)

Archived