Self-inflicted injuries

quietfan

It's being reported on some Bama boards [here, for example: http://www.crimsontusks.com/about9569.html ]

that Chris Keys has a broken leg due to a scuffle, fight, or horseplay with Ali Shareif and will miss spring practice.

It's one thing to talk about an injury jinx when they occur on the field against another opponent, but now they're doing it to themselves?? Sheeshh... :blink:

They are taking turns kneecapping each other so they don't have to endure the season that is coming up. Still.....It's a little early even for them to start getting that "losers limp".

"Loser's Limp"...Classic! ! ! :D

p.s. Isn't that also known as brodieitis?

"Loser's Limp"...Classic! ! ! :D

p.s. Isn't that also known as brodieitis?

218793[/snapback]

i thought brodieitis was the scientific name for a broken tailbone... from being thrown on your a@@ all day... i could have read it wrong....

i always getting confused with all this stuff...

It's being reported on some Bama boards [here, for example: http://www.crimsontusks.com/about9569.html ]

that Chris Keys has a broken leg due to a scuffle, fight, or horseplay with Ali Shareif and will miss spring practice. 

It's one thing to talk about an injury jinx when they occur on the field against another opponent, but now they're doing it to themselves??  Sheeshh... :blink:

218774[/snapback]

LMAO! You have to read the responses of these brain surgeons:

"This will definitely hurt his practice time that will be a big need in his transition to LB. " {geez Goober, yuh think?}

"It was more than just some horse play. It was a situation where Keys ran his mouth a little too much, and Ali took it to him, breaking his leg in the process. Hopefully, this will humble Keys a bit, and they can move on." {un-freakin-beleivable, ... this guy is hoping a broken leg will "humble" Keys. :no: }

I don't know any details, but I wonder if this is really just horseplay. Just going from memory, isn't Chris Key the guy from Louisiana who went to live with Ali Sharieff, a coaches son at North Jackson H.S. and hoped to play his seniior season there but was ruled ineligible. If my memory is correct, then these two guys know each other very well and may horseplay like brothers.

I don't know any details, but I wonder if this is really just horseplay.  Just going from memory, isn't Chris Key the guy from Louisiana who went to live with Ali Sharieff, a coaches son at North Jackson H.S. and hoped to play his seniior season there but was ruled ineligible.  If my memory is correct, then these two guys know each other very well and may horseplay like brothers.

218956[/snapback]

I believe you're correct. I recall one article saying they are just like brothers. If you remember, Ali Sharieff first committed to Auburn. He later changed his mind and I'm not sure if Keys didn't have something to do with his decision.

Here's a few links:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere...9900.xml&coll=3

TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama linebacker Chris Keys will miss spring practice after breaking his right ankle, Crimson Tide coach Mike Shula said in a statement on Wednesday.

Keys, who underwent surgery to repair the break on Tuesday, is scheduled to be released from DCH Medical Center today.

"Chris Keys underwent successful surgery on his right ankle on Feb. 7 by Dr. Les Fowler," Shula said. "His rehab time is 12 to 14 weeks. He should be back in time for summer workouts."

Bamaonline.com reported that Keys suffered the injury during a scuffle with a teammate on Monday, but Alabama officials would not specify how the injury occurred.

Shula also announced that sophomore offensive tackle Cody Davis had shoulder surgery performed by Dr. Lyle Cain on Feb. 2 and would also miss spring drills.

Keys' injury further muddles Alabama's depth at linebacker with spring practice starting on Feb. 24.

The Crimson Tide returns just one starter in that corps -- senior weak-side linebacker Juwan Simpson. Senior Terrence Jones is expected to make a push for the starting strong-side job, while junior Matt Collins and redshirt freshman Prince Hall will vie for the middle linebacker spot this spring.

Keys was expected to provide depth and possibly challenge for a starting outside linebacker assignment this spring.

The broken leg is just the latest in a series of woes for Keys, a native of Port Barre, La. A top-notch prospect after his junior season, Keys was suspended for his senior year for an off-the-field school violation.

He transferred to North Jackson High in Stevenson and lived with the family of fellow Tide signee Ali Sharrief, but the Alabama High School Athletic Association also deemed him ineligible based on the fact he was not eligible at the school he left. Keys sat out his senior season of 2004.

He originally committed to LSU, but eventually switched to Alabama and signed with the Crimson Tide last February. Keys, playing as a backup safety and a special teamer, recorded five tackles and a fumble recovery last season.

Keys traveled with the Crimson Tide to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas but was suspended for the game due to an academic issue, a source close to the program said.

I had forgotten about Keys' prior problems. His friendship with Sharrief does make me think this was innocent horseplay. But in the back of my mind there is also this thought: If it's all so innocent, why is everyone being so tight-lipped about the specifics of the incident?

Also:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvil...9920.xml&coll=1

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...9840.xml&coll=2

Re: Cody Davis

I know with they recruited a ton of offensive linemen this year, but still, losing Davis for spring means that much less experience for their young, but potentially strong, O-line.

I imagine based on prior handling that it was a fight and Sheila will suspend him for the first couple of games, let him dress out, and forget to tell anyone of the punishment until he sees if he is needed or not.

Here's a few links:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere...9900.xml&coll=3

TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama linebacker Chris Keys will miss spring practice after breaking his right ankle, Crimson Tide coach Mike Shula said in a statement on Wednesday.

Keys, who underwent surgery to repair the break on Tuesday, is scheduled to be released from DCH Medical Center today.

"Chris Keys underwent successful surgery on his right ankle on Feb. 7 by Dr. Les Fowler," Shula said. "His rehab time is 12 to 14 weeks. He should be back in time for summer workouts."

Bamaonline.com reported that Keys suffered the injury during a scuffle with a teammate on Monday, but Alabama officials would not specify how the injury occurred.

Shula also announced that sophomore offensive tackle Cody Davis had shoulder surgery performed by Dr. Lyle Cain on Feb. 2 and would also miss spring drills.

Keys' injury further muddles Alabama's depth at linebacker with spring practice starting on Feb. 24.

The Crimson Tide returns just one starter in that corps -- senior weak-side linebacker Juwan Simpson. Senior Terrence Jones is expected to make a push for the starting strong-side job, while junior Matt Collins and redshirt freshman Prince Hall will vie for the middle linebacker spot this spring.

Keys was expected to provide depth and possibly challenge for a starting outside linebacker assignment this spring.

The broken leg is just the latest in a series of woes for Keys, a native of Port Barre, La. A top-notch prospect after his junior season, Keys was suspended for his senior year for an off-the-field school violation.

He transferred to North Jackson High in Stevenson and lived with the family of fellow Tide signee Ali Sharrief, but the Alabama High School Athletic Association also deemed him ineligible based on the fact he was not eligible at the school he left. Keys sat out his senior season of 2004.

He originally committed to LSU, but eventually switched to Alabama and signed with the Crimson Tide last February. Keys, playing as a backup safety and a special teamer, recorded five tackles and a fumble recovery last season.

Keys traveled with the Crimson Tide to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas but was suspended for the game due to an academic issue, a source close to the program said.

I had forgotten about Keys' prior problems. His friendship with Sharrief does make me think this was innocent horseplay. But in the back of my mind there is also this thought: If it's all so innocent, why is everyone being so tight-lipped about the specifics of the incident?

Also:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvil...9920.xml&coll=1

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...9840.xml&coll=2

Re: Cody Davis

I know with they recruited a ton of offensive linemen this year, but still, losing Davis for spring means that much less experience for their young, but potentially strong, O-line.

219041[/snapback]

"Potentially" strong o-line? @ uat? :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, Tim...they will be blocking for the "potential" Heisman Trophy winning Quarterback.

:roflol:   :roflol:   :roflol:   :roflol:

219116[/snapback]

What do you mean potential??? Don't you mean eventual???

I mean after all, he did "run the ball down our throats" on that TD drive in the Iron Bowl.... <_<

Well, by "potentially" I meant all their new O-line recruits had the potential to be very good if they had signed with a coach that had any concept of how to run an offense.... :rolleyes:

But I think I've figured out what happened with Keys:

He and Sharrief were practicing on their own time. Keys was rushing from his linebacker spot while Sharrief was practicing the Bama offense: dodging, spinning, and running backwards in the backfield. Sharrief suddenly attempted the renowned Brodie "duck-and-cover" move and Keys tripped over him, breaking his ankle.

...just a theory! :big:

Well, actually, my best friends' cousins' next door neighbor's son-in-law (who is in the know in T-town) told me that Sharieff had always dreamed of being an offensive lineman and was practicing the Connelley Matador technique. He didn't move his leg away fast enough and accidentally tripped Keys, thus breaking his ankle. You can write it down, that is what happened...

Archived