New Student Union

moe

Yes it will look great, thanks for posting.  :au:   :au:

Now all of you be sure to thank Bobby Lowder!  :big:   :big:   :roflol:   :roflol:

221228[/snapback]

thank all the previous students, they have been collecting fees for 25 years I think

when is this gonna be completed? i'm a going to be a "redshirt" sophomore (stupid co-op  :D ) I bet I'll never see this on campus

221233[/snapback]

Ive heard sometime in 2009, which is the year im graduating, so i wont be able to enjoy it much either.

for you kids taht are still at auburn, stay away from the strutting duck and only go to the supper club on saturday night or you will end up like me! but hey i got a new liver!!

221252[/snapback]

Post out of Left Field Award for today.

for you kids taht are still at auburn, stay away from the strutting duck and only go to the supper club on saturday night or you will end up like me! but hey i got a new liver!!

221252[/snapback]

The Supper Club also has an evil side. It got the better of me a couple of times this year but still the best bar in Auburn. It's weird going to the same bar my dad went to almost 30 years ago and knowing that some of the stuff on the wall was put up when he was there.

221252[/snapback]

David??? David Crosby? Is that you??? :)

:au::homer:

I'm not a big fan of this new student union. They're spending 50 million to build it so Joe Schmo can eat a chicken buscuit and watch ESPN, actually no, MTVU for 30 minutes. That money could be better spent elsewhere, such as academics. I'm still not happy with Pres. Richardson (or whoever made the decision, I think ultimately it came down to him) for denying the engineering department the money to finish all phases of the new center. Donations and the state put up 30 million, but somehow he couldn't muster up the 30 to match that. However, its no big deal to blow 100 mil on athletics and 50 mil on a student union.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ TOTALLY AGREE....seeing as we have a brand new Wireless Engineering Department (with no building) and the Electrical/Computer engineering buildings are DUMPS. Putting a lot of money into an Engineering complex to solidify us as the best Engineering school in the state and 2nd best public in the south east (correct me if I'm wrong, but 2nd best is definitely up for the the taking). Money could be better spend on the Engineering facilities rather than the new Student Union...really a new Engineering center will help bring in smart capable future engineers. A new SU will bring in kids who are looking for social life on campus. Nice to have both but IMHO building up engineering first would have great benefits.

well that Joe schmo is me and you want to know how many times I've been into foy over the past 2 years? Not once at all. I think it'll be a great place for students to relax and hang before and between classes. This is a very good idea - and will look great.

I'm glad they are finally moving on this thing. I sat through many a meeting discussing what the students want. At the time I was working with WEGL, so I was in several of meetings about what we needed…etc.

Shortly after they started taking up dues and finally they are about to break ground. This will be a positive for the students. I’m very glad this is getting built.

We are desperately in need of this new SU, right now Foy is one of the ugliest buildings on campus, this new SU will improve the way the campus looks overall.

Also, foy is too small for what we need it for. Foy isnt just a place for students to eat and relax, it is home to alot of organizations, and services for students.List of organizations and services These organizatioins and services make Auburn a great place to go to school. Right now, Foy is too small for all these things, and there is no room to add anything else that can help students. When you go inside you feel like everything is packed in and crowded. If you visit other universities SU's, they put auburns to shame.

And nobody goes to the SU for social life, unless you have no social life. If foy was a main draw for students, then auburn would not have near the amount we do now, because foy sure wouldnt draw them to auburn. Along with organizations and services, foy is used as a place to study, eat, get rid of stress from classes, and its a great place to sleep inbetween classes. We do need this new SU!

I'm not a big fan of this new student union.  They're spending 50 million to build it so Joe Schmo can eat a chicken buscuit and watch ESPN, actually no, MTVU for 30 minutes.  That money could be better spent elsewhere, such as academics.  I'm still not happy with Pres. Richardson (or whoever made the decision, I think ultimately it came down to him) for denying the engineering department the money to finish all phases of the new center.  Donations and the state put up 30 million, but somehow he couldn't muster up the 30 to match that.  However, its no big deal to blow 100 mil on athletics and 50 mil on a student union.

221299[/snapback]

And dont tell me Auburn isnt spending money on academics. Right now we are building a new Building Science building, and a new Transporation science building, along with renovating Ross hall. We just got finished building the new science center, a new pharmacy building, and a new poultry science building. Auburn is spending money on academics.

And nobody goes to the SU for social life, unless you have no social life.

You, sir, have never been to the University of Illinois. That student center had a bowling alley and a dance club in it along with many other really cool things. and that didn't seem like the place for social outcasts on the weekend I was there. I know that we're spending a lot of money on a lot of different things. But since wireless/electrical is my major I want them to fix my stuff!!!! I saw the new Engineering center they were planning, and I want them to work on that first!

Well, right now auburn students dont have a chance to have a social life at foy because there isnt a bowling alley, or dance club, or anything like that. I think it would be awesome to have all that, but right now in auburn, nobody socializes in foy, because theres nothing to do.

The fact that Illinois has all that in there SU and we dont means that its time for us to have an upgrade.

Anyone that disputes that Foy needs to be retired should walk into the Ferg here in Tuscaloosa. (You can also apply this same argument to the Act.) Those are two places that no matter how much I hate it, I have to admit UAT is way ahead of us, and that's probably an understatement. Those are also two areas that many high school seniors see when they come down to AU for War Eagle Day or E-Day, etc, as well as every upcoming freshman when they go through Camp War Eagle. I'm sure UAT is the same way for all their upcoming freshman stuff. While its obviously a small part of choosing a school, many kids choosing between the two will be certain to see these buildings, and it is a very bad comparison for AU.

That reminds me, did the resolution to increase rec fees in order to build a new Act ever get passed? I know we only voted on it about six times while I was at Auburn, but everyone always forgot about it.

:nanner::cheers::nanner:

Archived