JH Plaza to be renamed

WarDlowe

I honestly don't care what this guy has done for the University, all of this naming is getting a bit annoying.  Just my 2 cents...

221993[/snapback]

It 's sad to me to hear an Auburn person say that.

Unforunately I guess I don't know who this guy is so I don't realize his importance, but the minute we start namings things after individuals is the minute that it stops being a stadium for the Auburn People and instead a shrine to the past.

(Yes I realize the field has already been named.)

So when do they start naming individual seats?

221989[/snapback]

Don't know about naming seats but that's not a bad idea. They could name the seats after people who make a certain donation to Aubunn. But that probqably wouldn't work because it would be discriminatory to a lot of people who give little and complain a lot. (Not talking about you so don't take it personal).

The reason I used your post to quote here is just to note that Dr. McCartney was Chairman of the search committee that brought to Auburn the guy you have in the picture on all your posts and we just named the field after. :D Yet some begrudge naming a little brick patio after McCartney. Sad.

Aww, you beat me to it Proud. Hey, some of you Franceses might need to lighten up. You might learn something if you bother to read the link. He's also an AU civil engineer grad (which is always a plus to this AU civil engineer grad,) successful businesss owner and the one responsible for getting the asphalt pavement test facility built at AU for the CE Department. He has definately earned whatever honor AU can bestow upon him. WDE Dr McCartney. :au::thumbsup:

I honestly don't care what this guy has done for the University, all of this naming is getting a bit annoying.  Just my 2 cents...

221993[/snapback]

It 's sad to me to hear an Auburn person say that.

222004[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing! Sounds as though Auburn owes this man a debt of gratitude. There is much more to Auburn than football.

So when do they start naming individual seats?

221989[/snapback]

Don't know about naming seats but that's not a bad idea. They could name the seats after people who make a certain donation to Aubunn. But that probqably wouldn't work because it would be discriminatory to a lot of people who give little and complain a lot. (Not talking about you so don't take it personal).

The reason I used your post to quote here is just to note that Dr. McCartney was Chairman of the search committee that brought to Auburn the guy you have in the picture on all your posts and we just named the field after. :D Yet some begrudge naming a little brick patio after McCartney. Sad.

222110[/snapback]

I was just kidding around, I don't personally mind this but the naming situation could get out of hand. For instance, see the baseball stadium. Hitchcock field at Samford stadium at Plainsman Park. I don't mind naming giving credit where credit is due but lets keep it within reason. :)

PT-

I did not mean that one bit as a slight to Dr. McCartney (hell, he's from my hometown), but - honestly - what is next?

Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium

David Housel Press Box

McCartney Plaza

On and on and on...

What if CTT (or any other Coach in the next 50 years) wins 4 MNC's the right way? What are we going to do....Jordan-Hare-????? Stadium?

I think the powers that be can be quite overzealous in their "tribute" efforts, and I guess I am a little peeved at the Housel Press box --- and that carried over to my comments. I am a proud alum (cum laude :) )and season ticket holder ( :au: ), and I have a right to my opinion. That makes me no more or no less "Auburn" than any of you...

WDE!

Congrats to Dr. McCartney from another AU engineer. Of course, I won't fight the urge to hum "Band on the Run" the next time I'm at a game.

As far as the naming goes, think about it, it could be worse...we could have a stadium named for a pizza place (Louisville) or a movie rental store (Troy).

How about naming all future Portable Toilets at Auburn “Terry’s Tiny Tinklers”? A Group would be known as the Bowden Bombing Zone.

Archived