CBS not showing the Final Four

SouthLink02

CBS (can't broadcast sports) today announced that with the shocking loss by Duke they will no longer cover the NCAA tournament, and will not broadcast from the Final Four in Indianapolis, as originally planned.

"Obviously, we had planned on Duke winning it all, so we planned our

coverage around it", said CBS Programming Chief Duke Louver, "but since the NCAA Tournament now has no meaning, we will concentrate our coverage on what should have been."

ESPN Classic will devote the entire Final Four Weekend to Duke, showing all the Final Four games they have won in the past. ESPNU will show the final 2.1 seconds of the '92 Duke-UK game in a continuous loop for 72 hours straight. ESPN will have the GameDay crew at Cameron Indoor to report on what would have happened if Duke would have made it to the Final Four. ESPN2 will show the Women's Tournament (as long as Duke is still in), and on ESPN.com, Mike Patrick and Dick Vitale will host a blog in which they remember the greatest shooter of all time, J.J. Reddick.

Louver does apologize to the fans "We tried to get as much Duke coverage during the year as possible, but realize that there's no such thing as 'too much'. Next year, we'll promise we'll do better."

And don't forget Coach K's prostate exam on ESPN8, "the Ocho".

Guest Tigrinum Major

In a related story:

USC Set to Claim Men’s Basketball Title

LOS ANGELES. (AP)  The USC basketball team is currently holding a press conference in which the team is unveiling a plan contingent on LSU winning the NCAA men’s basketball championship. After LSU pulled off an upset over #1 ranked Duke in the Southeast Semifinal, USC supporters around the nation have pulled together to campaign for USC being named a co-champion. The basketball team has transformed that fervor into a legitimate claim of a national championship.

Tim Floyd, head coach for USC, stated,â€ÂIf our bread and butter  our football team  can do it, we feel confident that we are able to also. We are considering the possibilities of claiming the championship outright because neither LSU nor USC signed a contract with the NCAA Tournament.â€Â

Floyd was referring to the 2003-2004 college football season when USC claimed a national title even though they did not even play in the National Championship Game to which they agreed would decide the National Champion.

“We’re big LSU fans right now,†said Floyd. “We didn’t make the NCAA or NIT Tournaments, but really, does that matter? The press loves us, and to borrow unsubstantiated claims from the media in 2003, ‘Isn’t it just clearly obvious that USC is better than LSU?’â€Â

LSU officials have not responded to calls and emails for interviews. Officials at the AP Poll have stated that if LSU wins the Tournament, USC has a very strong possibility for being ranked #1 in the poll.

Oh boy! That really gets my blood boiling. SEC gets no respect. CBS shouldn't even be televising the games in the first place if their not going to show them all. Especially the Final Four. The most important games really in the tournament and their not even gonna televise it cause Duke's not in it anymore. :puke:

Oh boy! That really gets my blood boiling. SEC gets no respect. CBS shouldn't even be televising the games in the first place if their not going to show them all. Especially the Final Four. The most important games really in the tournament and their not even gonna televise it cause Duke's not in it anymore.  :puke:

227663[/snapback]

:iamwithstupid:

Sarcasm there, buddy. Sarcasm.

Is it just me, or is anyone else REALLY pumped up for George Mason? I can't wait to see them try and win it all. I mean, I really like this team, this coach, the university - they do it the right way. I hope CBS gets great ratings for the tournament even without a "huge draw" team in the mix.

Oh boy! That really gets my blood boiling. SEC gets no respect. CBS shouldn't even be televising the games in the first place if their not going to show them all. Especially the Final Four. The most important games really in the tournament and their not even gonna televise it cause Duke's not in it anymore.  :puke:

227663[/snapback]

LOL I would like to introduce to everyone, "Takes everything literally" guy..... :roflol:

Guest Tigrinum Major

227663[/snapback]

:iamwithstupid:

Sarcasm there, buddy. Sarcasm.

Is it just me, or is anyone else REALLY pumped up for George Mason? I can't wait to see them try and win it all. I mean, I really like this team, this coach, the university - they do it the right way. I hope CBS gets great ratings for the tournament even without a "huge draw" team in the mix.

227669[/snapback]

He's young and not schooled in the fine art of satire yet. Cut him a small break. Very small.

Yes, I think Billy Packer will swallow his tongue if George Mason wins it all. I would like to see one of the SEC teams win it all, but if George Mason wins Saturday, you can bet I'll be rooting for them Monday.

Yeah that's funny that he got mad about the satirical CBS story.

As much as the "Cinderella story" of George Mason makes you guys all tingly inside I'm sure, I have to pull for an LSU vs. Florida championship game. I think that would be the ULTIMATE setup for some SEC respect next fall in football.

Yeah that's funny that he got mad about the satirical CBS story.

As much as the "Cinderella story" of George Mason makes you guys all tingly inside I'm sure, I have to pull for an LSU vs. Florida championship game.  I think that would be the ULTIMATE setup for some SEC respect next fall in football.

228102[/snapback]

How does a final with LSU/Florida get the SEC respect in football? Everyone thinks the Big East is good at basketball but you don't hear that about the football side of the conference.

How does a final with LSU/Florida get the SEC respect in football? Everyone thinks the Big East is good at basketball but you don't hear that about the football side of the conference.

228124[/snapback]

But you do always hear about how Texas is good in football and basketball. We as SEC fans tend to think (most all of the time correctly) that we have the best and toughest conference to play in college sports. A final in bball b/w 2 SEC teams shows the dominance of the conference across the board.

If we get to see an all sec final, it is rumored as above that CBS will not cover the final game, it will only air on JP sports. Foxsports southeast will run a pregame show 1 hour before tip and then turn it over to JP sports. I love it that the 2/3 of the country will be pissed if lsu and flor. make it to the finals. NO big east, no acc, it is such a true statement: that the cream always rises to the top.

If we get to see an all sec final, it is rumored as above that CBS will not cover the final game, it will only air on JP sports. Foxsports southeast will run a pregame show 1 hour before tip and then turn it over to JP sports. I love it that the 2/3 of the country will be pissed if lsu and flor. make it to the finals. NO big east, no acc, it is such a true statement: that the cream always rises to the top.

228182[/snapback]

Been awhile since I posted but I lurk everyday. Just had to respond to this. It's too funny. If the rest of the nation gets pissed about an all SEC final well...In the language of World of Warcraft maybe the rest of the nation should....learn2play

Anyone who thinks CBS will alter their plans to air the championship game based on who is in it this year has their picture next to the word "gullible" in the dictionary.

Anyone who thinks CBS will alter their plans to air the championship game based on who is in it this year has their picture next to the word "gullible" in the dictionary.

228222[/snapback]

you idiot i just looked and my picture was not next to the word gullible....hah proved you wrong moron!!

228222[/snapback]

you idiot i just looked and my picture was not next to the word gullible....hah proved you wrong moron!!

228234[/snapback]

LOL! :roflol:

Archived