Ricky Wiliiams at it again?

quietfan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5491722

NEW YORK (AP) - Ricky Williams and his lawyer met Monday with NFL counsel Jeff Pash, seeking to have the league overturn a positive drug test that could cost him the entire 2006 season.

The league, which doesn't acknowledge drug tests until there is a final determination, had no comment on the appeal. Williams' lawyer, David Cornwell, acknowledged that the hearing was taking place, but had no further comment.

The results of the hearing won't be made known immediately but if the positive test is upheld, it would be Williams' fourth violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, meaning at least a one-year suspension.

Previous positive tests were for marijuana, which Williams acknowledged using. But the latest test apparently involved a drug other than marijuana.

Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, and motivated at least partly by the need for a paycheck, he returned last year to play for new Miami coach Nick Saban.

Before being allowed to return, Williams served a four-game suspension at the start of the season for his third violation of the drug program. He still ran for 743 yards last season and averaged 4.4 yards per carry while sharing playing time with rookie Ronnie Brown. Williams gained 280 yards in the final two games when Brown was hurt.

I know...innocent 'til proven guilty...but looks like Ronnie may be the Dolphins #1 back next year.

It was some type of amphetamine... which he could've been prescribed because of : attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, depression, and narcolepsy.

It was some type of amphetamine... which he could've been prescribed because of : attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, depression, and narcolepsy.

230174[/snapback]

"Narcolepsy?"

I almost fell out the chair when I read this. I agree. Cause anybody that tests positive that many times must be falling asleep while somebody else puts the doobie in his lips.....good call.

This is good news for RB. Better news for the fins' running game is having an actual quarterback that can throw, and keep teams from putting 8-9 in the box on EVERY play. I look for big things from Brown this season.

He's claiming he didn't take anything at all and the positive is a mistake.

1. He's lying

2. Someone slipped him a mickey of some sort

3. It was a false positive, which certainly does happen.

I'm guessing he's telling the truth, but who knows.

Ya, I really believe him

230468[/snapback]

The only thing about it is that he admitted smoking dope every time he got caught. It could very well be a false positive, but he is the one who put himself in this position. Hate to see it because he is a very good back, possibly the best pure RB when he quit.

the Dolphins better hope he beats this so they can trade him for a tiny value!

230497[/snapback]

Why trade him? He owes them money and is on a leash where he is... not to mention that hes still a very good back. Basically, they have one of the best bargains around right now.

230497[/snapback]

Do you have the slightest clue what you are talking about?

Nick Saban and ricky williams get along great and if he beats this he might get traded, but it wouldn't be for a tiny value. The dolphins are waiting on word to determine whether or not to draft a rb this year. Doesn't sound like they are that interested in trading him although it is always a possibility for any player.

The best thing for RB, imo, is for ricky to return. We see how much good being the go to guy did for carnell's health at tampa last year.

230497[/snapback]

Do you have the slightest clue what you are talking about?

Nick Saban and ricky williams get along great and if he beats this he might get traded, but it wouldn't be for a tiny value. The dolphins are waiting on word to determine whether or not to draft a rb this year. Doesn't sound like they are that interested in trading him although it is always a possibility for any player.

The best thing for RB, imo, is for ricky to return. We see how much good being the go to guy did for carnell's health at tampa last year.

230659[/snapback]

To be fair about the caddy thing... Caddy got 290 carries (only ten more RBs in the NFL had more carries) and missed 2 games because of injury. Ronnie had 209 carries and missed 1 game because of injury. I'd say Caddy proved he was more durable than most thought...especially being a rookie...and neither injury was a huge blow to his "battery life" as a rb in the NFL. Not to mention rookie of the year honors....

Carnell only missed 2 but was rendered totally ineffective in several others which is indicated by the fact that he only had 90 more carries than ronnie even though when he was "healthy" he was carrying it 25-35 times a game.

My point was valid that getting excessive carries in individual games leads to more injuries.

Obviously, carnell had a great year, but every injury adds up over time.

the point about williams i think is that he's had chance after chance after chance. at what point does the league say enough is enough? i hope RB gets more playing time and becomes the go to guy in miami.

i also think that no back can carry it that many times a game consistently in the nfl anymore and stay healthy. it's just a fact of the game. cw and rb were both more durable than most thought and will both still have great careers but their teams can't place everything on their shoulders.

Ricky Williams is on what....the 3rd strike when it comes to drug abuse in the NFL?

His trade value is quite minimal, imo. He is still much thinner than he used to be compared to his previous good years

He is still much thinner than he used to be compared to his previous good years

230704[/snapback]

Which should answer the critic's questions. Moving from marijuana to "other substances" will do that to you.

They should just give up on Ricky. I think Ronnie Brown will end up being a great running back in the NFL. Its time to give up on Ricky and let someone else have a shot.

He is still much thinner than he used to be compared to his previous good years

230704[/snapback]

Which should answer the critic's questions. Moving from marijuana to "other substances" will do that to you.

230706[/snapback]

He got smaller due to the lack of working out when he went through all that... since then he has regained some of the weight he had lossed.

Ricky Williams is on what....the 3rd strike when it comes to drug abuse in the NFL?

His trade value is quite minimal, imo. He is still much thinner than he used to be compared to his previous good years

230704[/snapback]

He is still plenty big as he showed last year. After one or two warm up games he was back in good form.

For someone who has no trade value he was certainly mentioned in alot of trade rumors in the off season.

Of course, Saban REALLY likies the guy, but then Saban really knows the guy. Unlike several clueless douchebags on this thread.

Ricky Williams only production last year was the last 3 games in which he had 350 yards and 3 TD's. Solid but far from that great.

He now has broken the NFL drug abuse policy...3 times...I know in Feb he was supposed to have violated it a 4th time but I forgot if that was even implemented or not (ie he was found to have actually had drugs in his system).

ESPNews had a thingy on UT's lack of recent draft success (Roy Williams struggling in Detroit, Williams flopping with Buffalo, Williams at New Orleans/Miami with drugs, ext...) and Ricky's trade value was discussed by that white skinned, black haired guy with the mustache (forgot his name) and he mentioned how not one team wanted to touch him at all.

Why risk for someone who can't stay clean?

-Edited..it was Mark Schlera or whatever.

Williams reportedly violated the NFL substance abuse policy for a fourth time, although it’s unknown if Williams tested positive for drugs again or simply missed one of his required tests under the program.

While a missed test would certainly be easier for Williams to appeal, the reality is that any interest from other teams shrunk like George Costanza in a swimming pool.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11452616/

One more thing, I did in fact deal with Ricky Williams down here and he is worse than scum. He is one of those people I hope never sees the field again and struggles with his off-the-field life.

I am sure his 3 kids with 3 different wives feel the same way

Slink, are you the freaking mayor of new orleans or something? His assistant? Almost every single time an athlete from that area is discussed you come in with a, "I know him personally", or "my relative works with the saints and they know him personally". Usually it is with a very disparaging remark like the ones above. I just want to make it clear to you that your remarks like this go in one ear and out the other because I give them absolutely no merit whatsoever. I don't doubt you have some connections or whatever, yet I seriously doubt that you are privy to the kind of info. that leads to your radical statements, and if you are it is probably tainted by being only one side of a story.

I go by what I see and know. I've seen saban interviewed enough that he seems like a pretty darned cool guy for a coach. I know he is a hard ass on his players if they don't do what he likes, but he seems like an okay guy to me and I don't throw that term around loosely. I have seen him interviewed several times about williams and he seems to hold him in high regard and has stood behind him strongly through these last allegations.

I've been around long enough and lived enough life to say that a failed test for ricky williams based on amphetamines just doesn't seem to fit here. I'm not saying it is impossible. I'm saying it doesn't fit. As quirky as some think he is, he is very spiritually grounded from what I have seen, and not one to go down that particular path. I could be wrong.

The fact is that most people just wanna bash ricky because he is DIFFERENT. I used to be in that crowd. He creeped me out a little, with that hair. However, I have never seen him be anything but a nice guy to reporters and others and until I see some concrete proof that he is "scum" as slinky says (rolls eyes), I'm gonna like the guy.

(end slinky part)

God only knows how many pro players smoke marijuana. I have seen it discussed on espn by the experts and the number is no doubt very high. I wouldn't be shocked if it neared 50%, and I'd lay money on it being between, 25 and 50% worst case scenario. I saw one expert say "The fact is that nfl players are always going to smoke pot, and there is nothing the league can do about it". i.e. if you have the money you can beat ANY pee test with regularity.

Ricky failed drug tests because he didn't care if he came up positive for the most part I'm guessing. At least not enough to make the effort to pass the test, which anyone can do, whether they are smoking pot or not. When caught he readily admitted he had smoked pot, he never tried to hide it.

Bash ricky for smoking herb if you like, just remember that everytime you amost bust an artery cheering for a player or team in the nfl there is a high likelihood that you are cheering on a pot smoker or four. I hope that bothers you, lol.

So the guy has three children with three women. Is there more to the story? It's hard to keep it in your pants when you're a professional athlete. I guess evander holyfield is the devil too huh? How many thousands of athletes and celebrities can say the same thing. How many millions of other people can say the same thing?

If there's more to the story tell it, if not we'll just take it as a statement of your moral superiority or something for having less wives and kids than him.

Slink, are you the freaking mayor of new orleans or something? His assistant? Almost every single time an athlete from that area is discussed you come in with a, "I know him personally", or "my relative works with the saints and they know him personally".
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
- Anchorman

Who else have I said I know personally? I do know people that work with the Saints and I do have two friends that work on the Sugar Bowl Committee. I dunno, they tell me things and/or the Times-Picyune runs stories and I read them.

Nothing about what I say is really inside information. Everything I say about Ricky Williams is exactly how numerous players, coaches, and fans feel about that piece of trash.

Little tidbit, John Carney...the flipping kicker got into an argument with Ricky Willaims during the 2001 season when Carney signed on as a FA. No one knows how or why the argument started but anyone that knows Carney knows he is the last person on the football team to ever get into an argument with anybody. I believe it was LaCharles Bentley who went on 4th Down On 4, a local CBS Saints show, and told Jim Henderson (Saints radio announcer) about the scuffle after the 2001 season.

Only more reason why the entire team stayed away from him yet I know, I know...Ricky had "social anxiety" disorder yet strangly enough didn't have a problem having huge parties at his house.

Usually it is with a very disparaging remark like the ones above. I just want to make it clear to you that your remarks like this go in one ear and out the other because I give them absolutely no merit whatsoever. I don't doubt you have some connections or whatever, yet I seriously doubt that you are privy to the kind of info. that leads to your radical statements, and if you are it is probably tainted by being only one side of a story.

You can believe whatever you want but the fact is that the neigborhood in which Ricky Williams lived in (which is located off of Loyola Drive off of I-10) was glad to see him leave due to his numerous late night parties which BTW got busted for drugs but luckily for him Ricky was out of town that night (gee...what luck).

Lots of other Saints players live in this area as well though I have never understood why. It is a nice area but far from a great one.

Another goodie was how the Saints were doing a nice charity event at Memorial Hospital in New Orleans and Ricky Williams was the main Saints player to attend. But wait, he didn't show up...why? Apparently he was too "hung over" to attend the event. If you want someone else's word on that event, go here and contact the Saints PR and ask them yourself (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/login.cfm?referredpageid=133&sectionbanner=img%5Fheader%5Fmedia%2Ejpg)

Yes, that sounds clearly like a solid human. I wonder if he was on his 2nd illigitmate car at this time. Maybe he saved that for Miami though.

and until I see some concrete proof that he is "scum" as slinky says (rolls eyes), I'm gonna like the guy.

Failed drug tests, numerous suit cases dealing with different wives and kids, ext...ext....yes, no proof whatsoever.

As for whether other NFL players smoke drugs....I don't care. Honestly, why I hate Ricky deals with his work ethic, off-the-field behavior, and how fellow teammates and coaches felt about him.

Archived