Texas RB arrested for alleged marijuana possession

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas running back Ramonce Taylor, who scored a touchdown in the Longhorns' Rose Bowl win over Southern California, was arrested Sunday by sheriff's deputies who said they found about 5 pounds of marijuana in a backpack in his car.

Deputies also found a live 40-caliber round of ammunition in the console of the vehicle, Sheriff Dan Smith said.

Bell County prosecutors charged the 20-year-old Taylor with state jail felony drug possession of marijuana, pending lab results to determine the total weight of the drug, the sheriff's office said.

If it weighs more than five pounds, the charge will be upgraded to a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years in jail and $10,000 in fines. A state jail felony carries up to two years in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Taylor was in the Bell County Jail and will be arraigned Monday. It was not immediately clear if he had a lawyer.

Taylor had been excused from spring practice in March to focus on academics and had not participated in any team functions since, Longhorns coach Mack Brown said.

"We are aware of this recent situation and will follow it as the legal system runs its course. At this time, we will not consider reinstating him to the team," Brown said.

According to the arrest report, deputies responded to a report of a large fight involving as many as 100 people at a pecan farm in Little River, a community about 40 miles from Austin. Deputies also said they received a call from someone who had been at the fight and complained that a window on his vehicle had been broken. That caller turned out to be Taylor.

While interviewing Taylor at a convenience store, deputies were told by other officers at the fight scene that Taylor had been involved and had threatened to return with a gun. Taylor was placed in handcuffs.

Taylor told deputies he didn't have a gun and gave them permission to search his vehicle. Deputies reported finding the bullet and the backpack with the marijuana.

One of Texas' most versatile players, Taylor scored 15 touchdowns last season, including a 30-yard scoring run in the Rose Bowl, which Texas won 41-38. The win gave Texas its first outright national championship since 1969.

Link

That is a lot of dope....Wonder who is potential drop off points were.......................

Ricky Williams

Robert Baker

Feel free to add to the list

FIVE POUNDS? !! :o

Can Mack Brown not find enough boosters in UT's rich alumni base to support the kid without him having to stoop to drug dealing for cash? :rolleyes:

That is a lot of dope....Wonder who is potential drop off points were.......................

Ricky Williams

Robert Baker

Feel free to add to the list

235394[/snapback]

Ray Ray Hudson???

So he was on hiatus from the team to concentrate on academics? He's obviously a lost cause as a scholar, since he told the cops to search his car to prove he didn't have a gun, when he had FIVE POUNDS of weed in his bag. And, why would he draw attention to himself by complaining about a broken windshield when the car is loaded like a prop in a Cheech&Chong movie? I guess you might say, "He's all ate up with dumbass!"

So he was on hiatus from the team to concentrate on academics?  He's obviously a lost cause as a scholar, since he told the cops to search his car to prove he didn't have a gun, when he had FIVE POUNDS of weed in his bag.  And, why would he draw attention to himself by complaining about a broken windshield when the car is loaded like a prop in a Cheech&Chong movie?  I guess you might say, "He's all ate up with dumbass!"

235509[/snapback]

I agree not a smart call on his part 5lbs that would be one hell of a party :big:

So he was on hiatus from the team to concentrate on academics?  He's obviously a lost cause as a scholar, since he told the cops to search his car to prove he didn't have a gun, when he had FIVE POUNDS of weed in his bag.  And, why would he draw attention to himself by complaining about a broken windshield when the car is loaded like a prop in a Cheech&Chong movie?  I guess you might say, "He's all ate up with dumbass!"

235509[/snapback]

Hey, but free, if he declines consent for the search then its just like he is covering up something!! He didn't have anything to hide!! :o

Not being a gun owner myself, I am confused about one thing: Why is it a big deal that he had one round of ammunition in the car? I didn't know there was any problem with having ammo, just unregistered weapons... If the occasional odd bullet or shell in the car is a crime, then almost every pickup in Alabama (and presumably Texas, too) is a crime scene! :D

[Well, technically I guess there was no official charge based on the single 40-cal round, but why even mention it?]

I don't think it was his stuff. They should do a tox screen.

235632[/snapback]

A tox screen might show it's not in his system at the time, but it wouldn't prove he wasn't dealing, transporting, or planning to have it in his system later. Possesion is the key word, and if he's the only one in the car and the car belongs to him, I think he's screwed.

And to borrow a line from Ron White that seems appropriate to the incident: "You can't fix stupid !"... :no:

Archived