14 Lorenzo Ferguson (6-2, 201, So.)

39 Josh Hebert (5-10, 191, Jr.)

36 Brett Carr (6-2, 181, RFr.)

Cornerback

24 Jonathan Wilhite (5-11, 171, Jr.)

19 Montavis Pitts (6-2, 199, Sr.)

29 Jerraud Powers (5-9, 171, RFr.)

6 Walter McFadden (6-0, 153, RFr.)

The Tigers look green at Free Safety.. What is the fans prospective of Tristan Davis at Safety?

Brock at Strong safety..Do remember seeing him make any big plays?

Pitts second team?..he got major playing time in 04..did Rosegreen and Herring's help over the top have anything to do with that? Obviously strong tackler by his stats.

I think that the secondary has always been Auburn's weakness,I think it will be better than last year.I think it will be middle of the pack.I can only remember once or twice in my lifetime that the secondary was outstanding...Maybe 93 and 94.When there was Ken Alvis,Brain Robinson,Calvin Jackson... also Montavis Houston,R Hood,Jr Rosegreen and Larry Casher were good also and of course Rogers.I also remember the days of C Rose...terrible and I can't remember the other DB of that era but that was as poor as I can recall.

If I had to give a prediction on a scale of 1 to 20...I would say about a 14.(for the secondary)

During the Pat Dye years the DL was so good that the LB's and DB's didn't have much to worry about.Those DL's were back behind the line so quickly that the LB's could almost always play pass coverage.

2006 Spring Depth Chart 

Cornerback

4 David Irons (6-1, 189, Sr.)

2 Aairon Savage (5-11, 162, RFr.)

20 Patrick Lee (6-0, 198, Jr.)

38 Zach Gilbert (5-10, 185, Jr.)

Strong Safety

33 Eric Brock (6-1, 212, Jr.)

26 Steve Gandy (6-1, 202, So.)

28 Blake Shrader (5-10, 191, So.)

3 Tony Bell (6-2, 218, JR)

Free Safety

27 Tristan Davis (5-10, 196, So.)

14 Lorenzo Ferguson (6-2, 201, So.)

39 Josh Hebert (5-10, 191, Jr.)

36 Brett Carr (6-2, 181, RFr.)

Cornerback

24 Jonathan Wilhite (5-11, 171, Jr.)

19 Montavis Pitts (6-2, 199, Sr.)

29 Jerraud Powers (5-9, 171, RFr.)

6 Walter McFadden (6-0, 153, RFr.)

The Tigers look green at Free Safety.. What is the fans prospective of Tristan Davis at Safety?

Brock at Strong safety..Do remember seeing him make any big plays?

Pitts second team?..he got major playing time in 04..did Rosegreen and Herring's help over the top have anything to do with that? Obviously strong tackler by his stats.

237166[/snapback]

In all honesty I think this years secondary is one of the big strengths on the defensive side of the ball. Irons is one of the best CBs in the nation, Wilhite is playing over Pitts because of his ability to make big plays, and Brock is supposedly a hard hitter (watch out WRs).

I am a little clueless about Tristan... although we know about his ability to run the ball, I'm sure his speed and toughness transfer over very nicely at that position.

The coaches made a point last year of saying that Tristan was MUCH more suited to the safety position than to RB. The only concern that I have is that the safety position is VERY mental. There are a lot of checks that have to be made. I don't doubt his ability, but he will be doing a lot of study. Most of our safeties the last few years have been the "field general" types (Herring, Rosegreen).

I have no doubt that Tristan could be a star before he graduates, I just hope he can turn it on this year. He will be fun to watch.

I think with the depth we have in the secondary there will be lots of healthy competition for PT. This area should develop into a strength.

I can't remember the other DB of that era but that was as poor as I can recall.

237194[/snapback]

You're probably thinking about Stanford Simmons.

As far as cornerback goes...we are solid. D. Irons is proven and Wilhite showed A LOT last year and think he will continue this year. Safety? T. Davis is incredibly fast and apparently is one of the best athletes on the team. Brock...the only memory I have of him is missing some easy tackles in the Capital One Bowl and thinking..."wow, that was bad." I don't know where this depth chart came from, but apparently it is old since Bell is still on it. As far as back-ups go...I think Gandy has proven he can play and Pitts as well. Most of the other guys, I have not seen, but have heard good things. Pat Lee did some good things last year...surprises me he is that far down the chart. I think our secondary will be just fine. Sorry, haven't posted in a while.

The Capitol One Bowl was the one game I was able to see in person last year. When you watch games on TV you can't see the whole field and it is hard to tell how well the seconday is really doing. Anyway, I was amazed at how wide open the Wisconsin guys were on virtually every play. Our secondary appeared to have only one guy (Irons) who was capable of covering anybody. I remember thinking then that it was a good thing we had such a pass rush last year because it would have been a long season if we didn't!

Now that having been said, I think we had some good athletes back there but the coaching was just horrible. They were just out of position on virtually play and didn't have a clue what Wisconsin was doing offensively. I am really hopeful that was just an anomaly caused by poor coaching and our new DC will turn that around.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the secondary has been the perrenial weak link in our team. I don't remember a time when I felt really comfortable with it. I did get a little bit of a good feeling with Rogers and Rosegreen, but with the exception of DI, I'm not sure about the secondary right now.

I have no doubt about CTT placing Tristan at FS. CTT and his staff have shown that they know how/where to place talent (Reggie Torbor, Carlos Dansby, et al.) Does anyone remember the lick that TD put on Simeon Castille on one of our touchdowns last year? He came flying out of nowhere to put a heck of a block on Castille. Was that the end-around to Obumanu? Where did he come from on that play?

I believe we have some of the best athletes and depth, that we have had in many years. While we should be more experienced than last year, I think the intensity will be greatly elevated. Our coners should be very good and our safeties will get better with each game. Davis is a natural at safety and is fearless when making hits. I look for this year's group to be a strength of the D.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the secondary has been the perrenial weak link in our team.  I don't remember a time when I felt really comfortable with it.  I did get a little bit of a good feeling with Rogers and Rosegreen, but with the exception of DI, I'm not sure about the secondary right now. 

I have no doubt about CTT placing Tristan at FS.  CTT and his staff have shown that they know how/where to place talent (Reggie Torbor, Carlos Dansby, et al.)  Does anyone remember the lick that TD put on Simeon Castille on one of our touchdowns last year?  He came flying out of nowhere to put a heck of a block on Castille.  Was that the end-around to Obumanu?  Where did he come from on that play?

237333[/snapback]

Third possesion.

He hit Castille on the 1yd line. Castille was loafing on the play and didn't have a chance at catching Ben. It was almost a cheap shot. Davis had lined up at Tailback and took the fake and chipped the Defensive end then hit Juwan "Mary Jane" Simpson and took off down field to block. Great effort on the play though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Wilhite he got most improved over spring.... he also supposidly got bigger stronger, so hopefully he'll step up??

237349[/snapback]

Uhuh, from all reports Wilhite was dominating our recievers all spring. He flashed tremendous ability last year, this year he'll be the #2 CB and he could turn out to be one of the best players on the defence.

Just an opinion since I'm no expert:

I'm thinking Muschamp's style of defense will help our secondary. I think our speed up front (DL & LB's) and CWM's style of play ( aggressive, blitzing, etc.) will give offenses more headaches and less time at the line of scrimmage. This should translate into less pressure on what should be a strong secondary anyway.

Just an opinion since I'm no expert: 

I'm thinking Muschamp's style of defense will help our secondary.  I think our speed up front (DL & LB's) and CWM's style of play ( aggressive, blitzing, etc.) will give offenses more headaches and less time at the line of scrimmage.  This should translate into less pressure on what should be a strong secondary anyway.

237401[/snapback]

Yup...I'm very interested in seeing what CWM brings to the table.

:au::homer:

i think the secondary has been hit or miss for us over the last few years, but when that unit is right, our defense is top shelf. i mean in 04, we were playing the number one corner in the nation, an all-american safety, a future all-sec safety, and a solid but unspecatular corner. that group was really, really good, and the only plays people have to counter are a missed tackle (against vatech) and a couple misalignments (against ut and one more against vatech). great group.

this group to me has a chance to be that good or better IF the safeties are there. honestly, we don't have a single safety that's even played a solid four quarters. brock and gandy were both good in spurts, but neither showed any kind of consistency. then there's tristan who's biggest claim to fame is a few carries at tailback... not exactly the kind of experience you want in a safety.

all that said, all those guys (plus aairon savage who moved from corner and ferguson) have plenty of talent. brock's a solid all-around guy. davis has speed to burn and knows how to play fast. gandy is the biggest hitter of the three (imo, from what i've seen in person). ferguson has the size, and savage just knows how to play the position. he looked great in spring. find two good ones out of that group? we'll have the best secondary in the conference b/c irons and wilhite are the best set of corners we've had in 10 years, and lee/powers/pitts/gilbert give us plenty of depth.

bottom line, the secondary has to grow up quick, but if we figure out the safety spots, they're going to be a dangerous unit. plus, i completely agree that an actual aggressive scheme that limits the amount of time we'll have to spend in coverage will help this group a ton, as well as playing into their strength which is tackling (irons and wilhite in particular).

I think that a lot of the reason that we sometimes view the secondary as a weak link is that when they make a mistake it looks SO bad. A D-lineman out of place costs you five yards. A corner or safety out of position costs you a TD.

I see it as stronger than it has been. When you have a lock down corner in pass AND run defense like Irons it takes a lot of pressure off everyone else.

Archived