FEMA and fraud

channonc

I know this is already being sudo discussed on another board. But I thought I would post a link to the GAO report that was at the start of this debate. Its only about 30 pages, so its not a long read, for those that are interested.

FEMA GAO Report

That is why I just get sick with Fed Govt answers to all problems. I posted a link a short while ago showing estimates that the Dept of Ed loses about 1/3 of its money every year for decades. :blink:

Had Prof at :au: that did his thesis on Fed govt waste and fraud. He showed where the Food Stamp program was only getting 28 cents of every dollar actually to the kids. :no:

I believe that's why Bush supports churches and funding their missions, because that is the answer. Less bureaucracy, waste and fraud, more of what is supposed to be happening. NGOs aren't that bad, are they?

I believe that's why Bush supports churches and funding their missions, because that is the answer. Less bureaucracy, waste and fraud, more of what is supposed to be happening. NGOs aren't that bad, are they?

240798[/snapback]

Could they be as bad? Could they be worse?

Churches are much better suited for the task, I believe. That's their function in the Kingdom of God. I'd like to see Brownie show compassion like a spirit-filled child of God can. I don't think Brownie is up to the task of loving someone out of their misery. Only God, through human hands and heart, can do that. I believe the results, long term, would be much better. Moreover, our government's solutions to problems is always to throw money at it. Well, most of the time, that only creates more problems than guidance.

For what it's worth, I just heard on the news that the President/Owner of "Hooter's" is offering to reimburse FEMA for the $200 bottle of champaign bought at his restaurant by someone using a FEMA debit card as soon as the Gov't tells him where to send the check.

Good for him. But it's the fraud who applied for and used FEMA aid for this purpose that should be prosecuted.

In an ideal society, charity should "begin at home" with the private sector, including churches. I think every religion on the planet stresses charity for the poor, sick, and downtrodden in their creed. Also, that help should be given without any religious strings attached (i.e., "You can't have our aid if you won't accept our faith, or at least listen to our propaganda."). Christ didn't say "Feed the hungry, help the poor...but only if they'll listen to my message." His command was unconditional.

Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world, so sometimes it's up to the State to take care of it's citizens. Also, sometimes the need is so great or urgent, that only a well-organized (FEMA? :blink: ) government effort can get the job done. Most religious groups can't organize fleets of helicopters, trucks, temporary housing, and massive manpower to respond quickly and adequately.

Let me add this. Dont worry about the "justice" factor here too much.

I believe in God. It has been my lot in life to learn that God has a sense of humor...sometimes a vicious, almost wicked sense of humor.

The God I know and worship will remember this and sometime later on willmake the poor sole pay for this with either losing an equivalent bit of money or something worse. Like I said, I have learned the hard way that God does indeed have a sense of humor.

I feel it is best to stay off his radar screen about stuff like this. I really could never see myself involved in anything like this. I would worry myself to death wondering WHEN the payback would come.

If you care to check back, almost every hurricane that hits the US and causes major damage, the greed factor goes up along with the wind. When the Feds have to come in and help, there is almost always quite a few that will go to prison for their greed. After Frederick hit Mobile, I worked for the Ala Civil Defense (under the FEDS) and guess what? The top two director's of the CD operation in Mobile, were prosecuted and went to prison. I forget their names, but they were both from Montgomery.

After Camille hit Biloxi & Mobile being on the east side of the storm received major damage. There were several who went to prison for big contracts with the school board to replace roofs of most all the schools.

There have been prosecutions and jail time in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana & North Carolina as well. They all let their greed get the best of them and think they will not be caught. The sad thing is that not all who steal are caught and there is not enough checks in place to get the average citizens who file false claims and end up stealing $$$ billions $$$.

Your tax dollars paid for Hawaiian vacations and divorce lawyers after Katrina.

Speaking of FEMA, what were your tax dollars used for on the Gulf Coast? As much as $1.4 billion went to pay for such things as football tickets, Hawaiian vacations, divorce lawyers and even a sex-change operation. The Government Accountability Office estimates that 16 percent of the claims that FEMA paid were fraudulent. The frauds are quite varied, but one in particular struck our attention. One individual used 13 Social Security numbers to obtain $139,000 in aid—all sent to the same address. Indeed, most of the fraud occurred because FEMA failed to verify the identity and physical address of each aid recipient. All told, more than 1,500 cases of possible fraud have been reported—so far.

A serious question, what would you propose to help eliminate fraud, but at the same time get the money quickly to those who need it?

I definately don't really have an answer, just wondering if anyone has any good ideas out there.

A serious question, what would you propose to help eliminate fraud, but at the same time get the money quickly to those who need it?

I definately don't really have an answer, just wondering if anyone has any good ideas out there.

241129[/snapback]

I f I did, I would be in the Federal Govt I guess.

Maybe....A nationwide registry of real estate to include leinholder address, description of property and latest assessment as to worth?

Would a national ID card help?

A very good friend of mine whose home is in Carriere, Miss. Actually she and her husband have been living in East Africa for the past six years, but their home is Mississippi.

Anyway, she was back in the States when Katrina hit and went back to work for the Red Cross relief efforts. She told me of many, many Hispanics who were getting financial aid from the Red Cross, Churches, FEMA, Civil Defense, anyone passing out money. Many of them told her that the money they received as "aid", would be sent back to Mexico. Most all of them went back to work in the clean up effort and in the construction boom that followed. But their "free money" all went back to Mexico.

A national ID card could have eliminated much of that sort of abuse.

The God I know and worship will remember this and sometime later on willmake the poor sole pay for this with either losing an equivalent bit of money or something worse. Like I said, I have learned the hard way that God does indeed have a sense of humor.

I feel it is best to stay off his radar screen about stuff like this. I really could never see myself involved in anything like this. I would worry myself to death wondering WHEN the payback would come.

241037[/snapback]

Been there, done that. No matter how fast I ran, he was always there. He definitely has sense of humor. My wifes home, I must give her a kiss.

BF, You do realize that the MARINES use the slogan "a few good men" not the Army.... :big:

Archived