Another Bama tradition?

quietfan

Since Bama is so proud of their traditions, someone mentioned one to me last night that I had to check for myself. Sure enough, from their own website, http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&...0&ATCLID=291884 , I found these seasonal records:

1986: 10-3 / 1987: 7-5

1989: 10-2 / 1990: 7-5

1996: 10-3 / 1997: 4-7

1999: 10-3 / 2000: 3-8

2002: 10-3 / 2003: 4-9

2005: 10-2 / 2006: ??

Anyone see a trend here? You have to go all the way back to Bear Bryant’s 1980 10-2 season to find a 10-win season followed by a somewhat similar 9-2-1 record in 1981.

Makes one wonder why so many of them think last year’s 10-2 should have them highly ranked come fall, particularly since they graduated most of the names that earned those 10 wins last year.

I'm all in favor of them continuing this tradition, though. :thumbsup::D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alabama's 2006 season could be really good or really bad, imo.

If Shula doesn't find a QB, they could be in for a long, long season.

The same could be said for UGA/Richt but I think Richt's track-record of QB coaching speaks that we won't be in for a long year even if Stafford or Joe T struggles.

If Shula can win 9-10 games and get solid offensive play in 2006, I think his coaching stock will increase quite a bit, imo.

People have been telling us to watch out for South Carolina since 1992.

Spurrier will have them at a very good rate come 2007 but even with that said...if they out-recruit UT, UF, or UGA...I will be shocked. They have gotten Grey, Richardson, and a few other solid ones so far but their class on the whole will still be #4 in the SEC E

Spurrier is not at UF anymore nor does he have the talent, coaching (Stoops), or facilites.

South Carolina has "almost" beaten us for 70+ years yet things keep coming out the same way

I noticed one thing about the trend. In the 10 win seasons you posted, Auburn is 4-2 against bammer. That sort of throws a monkey wrench in the theory that Auburn only beats bammer when they are down.

I noticed one thing about the trend. In the 10 win seasons you posted, Auburn is 4-2 against bammer. That sort of throws a monkey wrench in the theory that Auburn only beats bammer when they are down.

241546[/snapback]

Another good point..I hadn't noticed. But how many quarters of the Iron Bowl did they win? I'll bet they're still 6-0 in "moral victories". :lol:

Alabama A&M could get 10 wins with their schedule <_<

Of course, I'm just joking.... But I expect Bama to have 8 wins this season.

First off...i dont know many bama fans who expect us to be highly ranked.

Secondly, you should look at why we had down years in those cycles...

97 and 2000...both thanks to the great and wonderful Mike Dubose.

03 was Shula's first year with a talent depleted team...that didnt have him as a coach during spring.

90 was the first year under Gene Stallings...but if you want to talk trends...lets talk 91-96 after he got his feet wet.

I think its funny sometimes...how you guys want us to fail so bad that you cant stand it. And anything that supports the idea that bama has been down recently to things that have nothing to do with play on the football field (thus meaning they are temporary) makes you all LIVID. Quite funny actually.

I think its funny sometimes...how you guys want us to fail so bad that you cant stand it. And anything that supports the idea that bama has been down recently to things that have nothing to do with play on the football field (thus meaning they are temporary) makes you all LIVID. Quite funny actually.

241590[/snapback]

It's part of the rivalry and the same can be said about Alabama fans towards Auburn. How often do you see a "positive" post about Auburn made by an Alabama fan on an Alabama forum?

to be perfectly honest, i prefer alabama to have a good record come the iron bowl. this only improves auburn's strength of schedule and recruiting when we beat bama (and the market value of my ticket if i can't make it to the game). i generally cheer for all sec teams during non conference games. i hate to hear other boards talk about how the sec is overrated. when sec play begins, i want the teams we play to be ranked as high as possible so we look better if we win, and not so bad when we lose. so go sec, except when you play auburn.

241590[/snapback]

It's part of the rivalry and the same can be said about Alabama fans towards Auburn. How often do you see a "positive" post about Auburn made by an Alabama fan on an Alabama forum?

241604[/snapback]

Oh i agree...you see a lot of negative AU posts on Bama boards. But Ive never seen a group of fans so emotionally invested in another teams potential failures.

241590[/snapback]

241604[/snapback]

Oh i agree...you see a lot of negative AU posts on Bama boards. But Ive never seen a group of fans so emotionally invested in another teams potential failures.

241621[/snapback]

BG, do I need to go to a :ua: forum and do a search for :ut: threads? The pure venom at us is only lessened by the total venom at all things :ut: and Fulmer.

241590[/snapback]

241604[/snapback]

241621[/snapback]

Just as a general rule, Americans love to see the cocky and arrogant fail. It goes all the way back to the Revolutionary War. Maybe if the majority of Alabama fans lived in the real world, instead of their warped reality where Alabama owns everyone and everything and the Bear still rules with an iron fist, we wouldn't find it so amusing to see them fall apart... nah, I suppose we still would, but you get the idea.

I guess Americans will love to see AU fail now then...per your rule.

241632[/snapback]

That's your opinion, but I don't think you'll find a whole lot of fans outside of our rivals who share your sentiment.

241621[/snapback]

"Potential" :roflol::roflol::roflol:

It's actual failures -- and your protestations, justifcations and excuses aside, there have been plenty -- that make our day.

Yes, and I'm sure all the Bama fans took pity on us for our 3-8 season, and our 2003 disappointment. It's a two-way street no matter how you slice it.

Honestly, both Auburn/Alabama need to care so much about beating the other because for me, it only makes the game more interesting to watch

Secondly, you should look at why we had down years in those cycles...

97 and 2000...both thanks to the great and wonderful Mike Dubose.

241590[/snapback]

I think I understand what you're saying...if you collapse in 2006, it will be thanks to the great and wonderful Mike Shula, right? :poke::big:

Actually, if Auburn continues to do well for another several years, i.e., if Tommy Tuberville puts together a decade or more of success along the order of the Steve Spurriers, Bobby Bowdens, Paul Bryants, etc., I certainly expect many people to start reveling in our failures just as we now revel in those others' down times.

I'd like to hope that we Auburn fans will never be as smug, overbearing, and conceited as some other fans. Nevertheless, I'm already bracing myself for us being the object of such hatred. It's a burden I'm prepared to bear! :D

241621[/snapback]

"Potential" :roflol::roflol::roflol:

It's actual failures -- and your protestations, justifcations and excuses aside, there have been plenty -- that make our day.

241636[/snapback]

What is this about "Potential"?? Its written forever in the record books. The bammers can't change it, and nobody else can change it. Spin it how you want, make excuses, justifications, etc...but it isn't a Potential failure....Its a "FACTUAL" failure.... or as the bammers like to refer to it...."Its our History, and a tradition"...

I was referring to the fact that you guys get MAD when Bama fans wont say "yeah bama is gonna suck this year"...and obsess about the idea that our recent struggles will be the norm and not just a few years of struggles due to things that arent "the norm".

120 years of winning, and it still bothers you all that we wont say "yeah you know these last 5-6 years are EXACTLY what Alabama football is going to be forever...and the 115 before that were just an aberration".

I was referring to the fact that you guys get MAD when Bama fans wont say "yeah bama is gonna suck this year"...and obsess about the idea that our recent struggles will be the norm and not just a few years of struggles due to things that arent "the norm".

120 years of winning, and it still bothers you all that we wont say "yeah you know these last 5-6 years are EXACTLY what Alabama football is going to be forever...and the 115 before that were just an aberration".

242019[/snapback]

It's all about your P.O.V.... From where I stand, the problem is that Alabama fans don't want to admit that the Bear Bryant era was an aberration. I will readily admit that the last 5-6 years of Alabama football were an anomaly, but in statistics you tend to throw out the best and the worst, so there you have it. No, the last 5 or 6 years will not necessarily become the norm for Alabama, but you can also forget any talk of Bama ever dominating like it did back in the day, because there's too much parity now. But hey, this is a rivalry, it's no fun to agree on everything.

It's all about your P.O.V.... From where I stand, the problem is that Alabama fans don't want to admit that the Bear Bryant era was an aberration. I will readily admit that the last 5-6 years of Alabama football were an anomaly, but in statistics you tend to throw out the best and the worst, so there you have it. No, the last 5 or 6 years will not necessarily become the norm for Alabama, but you can also forget any talk of Bama ever dominating like it did back in the day, because there's too much parity now. But hey, this is a rivalry, it's no fun to agree on everything.

How long was Bryant in ttown? Like 25 years? You can't call a quarter century an aberration. Comparing that to a few years where we were down because of probation is LAUGHABLE.

How long was Bryant in ttown? Like 25 years? You can't call a quarter century an aberration. Comparing that to a few years where we were down because of probation is LAUGHABLE.

242107[/snapback]

Just like you UATers thinking you are the be-all, end-all of the college football world because of some success that occured OVER 25 years ago..

You keep saying it...as long as YOU think its true...then thats all that matters.

AU fans talk about Bama fans being obsessed with coach bryant 3x as much as we actually talk about him.

242107[/snapback]

In the context of 115 years, sure you can, and it was.

aberration - n.

1. A deviation from the proper or expected course. See Synonyms at deviation.

2. A departure from the normal or typical.

There is no temporal element to the term. For instance, Spain was a world power for about 400 years. That was an aberration within the context of human history. The amount of time doesn't matter.

"The norm" is that Alabama is one of the Top teams in the SEC, and will compete for it most years. Alabama dominating Auburn and winning the SEC every year is a deviation from this, and is long gone. Spurrier's time at UF was also an anomaly. LaVell Edwards at BYU...You get the idea.

Archived