Another Bama tradition?

quietfan

I think Stat did this before but I am REALLY bored at work and am doing it again.

I got to thinking about where Bama would be if NOT for the Bryant years.

Per Stassen's site

Pre-1958 Winning % Wise

1. ND

2. Yale

3. Princton

4. Michigan

5. Army

9. Tennessee

11. Alabama

45. Georgia

63. Auburn

Post 1983 - Winning % Wise

10. Auburn

13. Georgia

23. Alabama

Not too bad, imo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Stat did this before but I am REALLY bored at work and am doing it again.

Per Stassen's site

Pre-1958 Winning % Wise

1. ND

2. Yale

3. Princton

4. Michigan

5. Army

9. Tennessee

11. Alabama

45. Georgia

63. Auburn

10. Auburn

13. Georgia

23. Alabama

Not too bad, imo

242250[/snapback]

Exactly. Anything who think we are "only Bear" is a fool.

Per Stassen's site

Pre-1958 Winning % Wise

1. ND

2. Yale

3. Princton

4. Michigan

5. Army

9. Tennessee

11. Alabama

45. Georgia

63. Auburn

10. Auburn

13. Georgia

23. Alabama

Not too bad, imo

242250[/snapback]

Exactly. Anything who think we are "only Bear" is a fool.

242252[/snapback]

Indeed. And nobody ever said that you were "only Bear." But there is a significant difference.

By the way, using the same website:

1958-1982:

1. Alabama - Win pct. .824

2. Penn State - .786

3. Texas - .7803

4. Ohio State - .768

Significantly higher than everyone else. Certainly a deviation from the norm.

You keep saying it...as long as YOU think its true...then thats all that matters.

AU fans talk about Bama fans being obsessed with coach bryant 3x as much as we actually talk about him.

242116[/snapback]

And, Yet, here YOU are on an AUBURN board. :lol::lol::roflol::poke:

... AU fans talk about Bama fans being obsessed with coach bryant 3x as much as we actually talk about him.

242116[/snapback]

BG, ... you cain't be serious with that statement: Mvc-008s.jpg

:lol::lol:

Dang, I can't find my picture of Tattoo Back bammie fan. Anybody got it saved?

... AU fans talk about Bama fans being obsessed with coach bryant 3x as much as we actually talk about him.

242116[/snapback]

BG, ... you cain't be serious with that statement: Mvc-008s.jpg

:lol::lol:

Dang, I can't find my picture of Tattoo Back bammie fan. Anybody got it saved?

242272[/snapback]

See the avatar page link on the AUNation.net home page.

Just sad

bamasback.jpg

242290[/snapback]

Speechless....

Well, ok, not really. I mean when has the dogpound ever been speechless?? NEVER!

That is one dedicated mofo. He is in a world all his own. :blink:

Ya'll didn't get this over at Miss. State?  Figured it would have made ALL the rounds.

242296[/snapback]

Nope. First time I've ever seen that. Maybe I'll get a tat of a castrated bull on my back. Just for old times' sake, ya know. :lol:

So you find a couple of pictures that laud coach Bryant? BFD. That doesnt mean we are obsessed with him. The only reason people think we are obsessed with him is because AU fans wont shut up about it.

And I think its quite easy for you guys to sit back and criticize us when we EVER EVER EVER EVER mention his name...even though he is one of the best coaches to ever walk the sidelines.

But we arent EVER allowed to talk about him. Or we are obsessed. Well dang, you had a coach in Pat Dye who had not half the success of Bryant and I hear about him all the time.

I went to the Iron Bowl this year and you guys put on a big celebration for him...does that mean you are obsessed? You guys have paintings, statues, etc all around town in honor of him...man i wish you would get over him and live in the now.

But as its always been. AU fans make the rules...and if they break their own rules...its ok...as long as it makes bama look bad.

I wish someone would explain to me why there's about 80 people at our tailgate every saturday...and NOBODY EVER talks about coach bryant...yet our obsession runs rampant.

BG, the Bear Fairy is still there at Tailgates even now. The Bear girls in the endzones with their Houndstooth caps. Go to any Bama board and you will see a Bear moments thread, etc. He has passed away 25 years now. We arent the ones trying to dig him 24/7.

So people wear houndstooth hats...or have some sort of figurine. That doesnt mean we're obsessed...its tradition. If pat dye wore pink shirts to coach on saturday (or some very distinguishing characteristic) people would do the same on gamedays.

Its the arrogance of AU fans that bothers me. The fact that we cant remember a guy who is considered pure greatness everywhere outside of opelika...or we are labeled as people who cant get over the past.

The houndstooth hat is something UA is recognized for. Its classic. When ESPN (or other broadcasters) mention Bryant or the hat...are they stuck on the past too?

Man you guys need to get over pat dye and bo jackson. I saw a bunch of bo jerseys in au last year...i cant believe yall would wear those. Its so in the past.

BG, the Bear Fairy is still there at Tailgates even now. The Bear girls in the endzones with their Houndstooth caps. Go to any Bama board and you will see a Bear moments thread, etc. He has passed away 25 years now. We arent the ones trying to dig him 24/7.

242316[/snapback]

Oh really?

AUBearGuys.jpg

242316[/snapback]

Wasn't it Andre Smith (or another big recruit?) who announced his commitment NOT by putting on a Crimson Tide hat representing the school of his choice, but by donning a houndstooth hat in commemoration of a single coach from that school...a coach they "never" obsess about.

...and most of the Bama fans I know personally couldn't stop talking about how "cool" that was. <_<

Has UAT ever formally recognized the houndstooth hat as being any sort of official emblem of the university?

I had friend who had to remind the whole world on every birthday that his birth date was exactly six months to the day from Bear's (although about 60-80 years later! :lol: )

So you find a couple of pictures that laud coach Bryant? BFD. That doesnt mean we are obsessed with him. The only reason people think we are obsessed with him is because AU fans wont shut up about it.

And I think its quite easy for you guys to sit back and criticize us when we EVER EVER EVER EVER mention his name...even though he is one of the best coaches to ever walk the sidelines.

But we arent EVER allowed to talk about him. Or we are obsessed. Well dang, you had a coach in Pat Dye who had not half the success of Bryant and I hear about him all the time.

I went to the Iron Bowl this year and you guys put on a big celebration for him...does that mean you are obsessed? You guys have paintings, statues, etc all around town in honor of him...man i wish you would get over him and live in the now.

But as its always been. AU fans make the rules...and if they break their own rules...its ok...as long as it makes bama look bad.

I wish someone would explain to me why there's about 80 people at our tailgate every saturday...and NOBODY EVER talks about coach bryant...yet our obsession runs rampant.

242310[/snapback]

If I had the time and the inclination I could find more than a couple of pictures. These are just the most representative of the OBSESSION that bammie fans have over him. I have said this before & I'll say it again: no fan base obsesses over a departed favorite coach like the bammies. You can not name any other school's fan base that behaves more bizarrely (sp?) than the bammies -- you people make the Jim Jones' followers look like a bunch of johnnie-come-lately bandwaggoners. The fact that AU people comment on it at all does not make us obsessive. Quite the contrary -- we are all amazed & flabbergasted that the phenomenon exists. We comment on it just like we would comment on any mass behavior (e.g. lemmings jumping into the water to drown en masse.) It's a mystery for the ages -- how is this behavior passed down through the genes? I'm sure there is a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation in there for some enterprising psychology student.

As for Coach Patrick Fain Dye being feted last year, the university named the playing field in his honor. I can understand a bammie fan not paying attention to all things AU but geez, it was in the papers & everything. How did you not hear about it? It ain't the same thing -- not even close, sorry. :au: WDE

Read what i posted about the houndstooth hat. By the way...all the espn people calling that announcement thought it was really cool. It just represents tradition. And I know you AU people HATE it when people have the audacity to even suggest we have any tradition...but believe it or not, people outside of ttown think we do.

If I had the time and the inclination I could find more than a couple of pictures. These are just the most representative of the OBSESSION that bammie fans have over him. I have said this before & I'll say it again: no fan base obsesses over a departed favorite coach like the bammies. You can not name any other school's fan base that behaves more bizarrely (sp?) than the bammies -- you people make the Jim Jones' followers look like a bunch of johnnie-come-lately bandwaggoners. The fact that AU people comment on it at all does not make us obsessive. Quite the contrary -- we are all amazed & flabbergasted that the phenomenon exists. We comment on it just like we would comment on any mass behavior (e.g. lemmings jumping into the water to drown en masse.) It's a mystery for the ages -- how is this behavior passed down through the genes? I'm sure there is a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation in there for some enterprising psychology student.

As for Coach Patrick Fain Dye being feted last year, the university named the playing field in his honor. I can understand a bammie fan not paying attention to all things AU but geez, it was in the papers & everything. How did you not hear about it? It ain't the same thing -- not even close, sorry. au2.gif WDE

I was there, and i know what it was for...i was just making a point.

Again i ask...i sit at these tailgates on the quad...i hang out with hundreds and thousands of bama fans, i sit next to a new group of bama people at EVERY SINGLE GAME...and NOBODY talks about coach bryant. Nobody says "that isnt how the bear would have done it etc". So freaking what if some people wear houndstooth hats...or some retard paints coach bryant on his back. The hat is representative of tradition. And if we show a few clips from the bryant days...or enjoy any of our STORIED past, you guys crucify us for it...it all goes back to the fact that you all cant STAND it when people have the nerve to say anything good about alabama. And since we have struggled of late...you guys ONLY ONLY ONLY want to talk about that.

And we when go out and win 10 games...you guys ONLY want to talk about the past when we had bad seasons after 10 games.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Again i ask...i sit at these tailgates on the quad...i hang out with hundreds and thousands of bama fans, i sit next to a new group of bama people at EVERY SINGLE GAME...and NOBODY talks about coach bryant.

242329[/snapback]

But yet you listen to him mumble a few quotes that no one can understand during your pregame.

Again i ask...i sit at these tailgates on the quad...i hang out with hundreds and thousands of bama fans, i sit next to a new group of bama people at EVERY SINGLE GAME...and NOBODY talks about coach bryant.

242329[/snapback]

But yet you listen to him mumble a few quotes that no one can understand during your pregame.

242335[/snapback]

Yep...you hit it...we are obsessed! There's no AU video anywhere with pat dye on it? And why is it that people wear bo jackson jerseys?

What about Kentucky? You think they have any promotional video with Rupp? I know they do. How about UCLA and Wooden? Check. Believe me, I was at the bama/ucla game this year...they still love that man. Funny enough, i had more than one UCLA fan come up to me and start talking about coach bryant. Man those UCLA fans sure wont let coach bryant die!

Two links that really bring it on home.....

Chaos

Mayhem

242333[/snapback]

Well now, I guess it isn't just AU people who recognize the OBSESSIVE/COMPULSIVE behavior of the bammies.

You know, the thing about great satire is that there has to be an element of truth for it to work out right. The M Zone Blog nailed that one! WDE :au:

From the bama responses i read on that thread...it seemed like most of the bama responders thought it was funny and posted funny jokes to play along.

Archived