DKW 86

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3256506.html

LSU coach Miles visits troops in Iraq

By SCOTT RABALAIS

Advocate sportswriter

Published: Jun 30, 2006

lsu+miles+iraq+tour+063006.jpg   

Photo provided by LSU/Army 555th Combat Support Brigade 

LSU football coach Les Miles hears how a .50-caliber machine gun operates last week atop a Humvee in Tikrit, Iraq. Miles, who arrived home Monday, traveled to Kuwait and Iraq to thank members of the armed forces for their service. 

Related Content

VIDEO: Les Miles visits troops in Iraq

The LSU Tiger head football coach, with the blessing of his family, just got back from a goodwill mission to support the United States Armed Forces serving in the Middle East. 

VIDEO: Miles has inspiring trip to Middle East

They're called goodwill missions -- when celebrities travel abroad to spend time meeting with U.S. troops, trying to get their mind off the war effort and maybe sharing a sense of home and thanksgiving. 

Page 1 of 4

single page view

What will you do with your summer vacation?

Go to the beach? Travel overseas?

LSU football coach Les Miles took a ride in a Blackhawk helicopter over Baghdad and learned what to do in case of incoming mortar fire.

Miles spent last week touring military bases in Iraq and Kuwait as part of a USO tour to visit with American servicemen.

He went to say thanks. He came back more thankful for the experiences he had.

“I got more from my trip than I could possibly have given,” Miles said Thursday. “I’m very grateful that I was allowed to go over and represent a very common thought here, which is thanks. I told them the job they are doing is as important a job as being done in the world.”

Miles, preparing for his second year as LSU’s coach, made the tour along with former Notre Dame and South Carolina football coach Lou Holtz and Vincent Naimoli, owner of Major League Baseball’s Tampa Bay Devil Rays team.

Miles, 52, had been trying to get on a tour of the Persian Gulf since he was coaching at Oklahoma State two years ago. This year he was finally accepted, with some help from former Marine Corps Gen. Ron Richard, now CEO of LSU’s Tiger Athletic Foundation.

Miles had to leave Baton Rouge on June 18. Father’s Day. Getting “permission” from his wife and four children was the final hurdle.

“The family issues before I left were significant,” Miles said. “I told my family that I would not go if they didn’t vote 100 percent on me being allowed to go.”

Miles’ 12-year-old daughter, Kathryn, needed convincing through several tearful conversations. Ten-year-old Manny said no until Miles asked him, ‘You’re going to say no to the United States government?’”

Seven-year-old Ben gave his approval. Two-year-old Macy Grace merely asked, “Daddy, are you going to take me to Di-raq with you?”

Good deal. Thank you Coach Miles!

Well, that speaks alot of the man's character right there. He may have gained a few more LSU fans on that trip. Hoooaahh Coach Miles!

:thumbsup: Coach Miles

I hope CTT holds off on his trip until I get a chance to get back over there. :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

A friend of mine that is stationed in Kuwait had his picture made with Miles and Irene Ryan, who was over at the same time.

Oh, wait, it was Lou Holtz, not Ms. Ryan. My mistake.

A friend of mine that is stationed in Kuwait had his picture made with Miles and Irene Ryan, who was over at the same time.

Oh, wait, it was Lou Holtz, not Ms. Ryan.  My mistake.

245650[/snapback]

Oh my Dear Lord. Now you have me picturing Holtz with a Confederate hat and shotgun running around in Iraq... :blink:

Way to go Coach Miles!

DKW, I hope you don't mind put I copied your post onto a site called NCAAFanZone.com - and gave the credit back here. I just wanted to give some credit (*Hack - hairball, sorry) to the corndog nation.

Archived