Mike DuBose admits Bammers are stupid

This is an article Ive found about Mike DuBose in the Montgomery Advertiser. This article talks about the ups and down of Mike DuBose coaching career, from being the head coach at Bammer to currently being the coach at Millsaps College. The funny part of this article is when DuBose talks about the difference in academics between Millsaps and Bammer. DuBose claims athletes at Millsaps write more papers in a week than athletes at Bammer write in four years. DuBose also claims that when athletes leave Millsaps they are prepared to face the real world. DuBose implies that when athletes leave Bammer they are not prepared to face the real world. Ive highlighted the important parts of this article.

Ive highlightred the important part of this article.

Here is the link.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../607050355/1002

DuBose still driven to succeed

By Tim Gayle

Montgomery Advertiser

After taking a year off following his departure from Alabama, Mike DuBose returned to coaching at Northview High.

It's easy to overlook Millsaps College.

Tucked away in a quiet neighborhood in north Jackson, Miss., a visitor could drive by the campus and never notice it.

Mike DuBose is in a similar situation. Far removed from Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year honors at Alabama -- and as a high-profile high school coach in rural Crenshaw County -- the 53-year-old coach might be overshadowed at a school that has never challenged for a national championship.

At Alabama, he was expected to contend for a national championship. At Luverne High, he was expected to compete for a state championship. At Millsaps, there are no such expectations. Conversely, at a place where academics come first, the Majors quietly compiled a 2-8 record last season. And no one seemed to notice or care.

"They (expectations) are a little different here and I don't know that that is a good thing," DuBose said. "I don't think the expectations here have been high enough." DuBose is trying to change that.

In fact, he said his future at the school demands it.

"If we're going to keep score, we need to be committed to winning and that has to start at the top," he said. "It can't just be the players and the coaches. It's a team game and it takes the commitment of a lot of people to be successful."

DuBose has been associated with winning teams for a long time.

But he's clearly not at Alabama anymore.

Millsaps College, an NCAA Division III school that doesn't issue scholarships, is different from any place he's ever been.

"It's not like high school and obviously it's not like D-I," he said. "(But) once you get to the field, it's the same. The same things win, same things lose, we're doing the same things fundamentally and scheme-wise, but getting to the game field is totally different from anything I've ever been involved in."

DuBose's career almost came to a screeching halt in 2000 after he was fired from Alabama amidst a much-publicized affair with his secretary and an even bigger recruiting scandal that resulted in an NCAA investigation. The probe never implicated him but landed the Crimson Tide on probation for five years.

He went back to a lake house he owned in south Alabama and sat out of coaching for a year, uncertain of his next move.

"I just missed it so much," he said. "From that point on I knew that I wanted to coach."

He returned for a year at Northview High then found what he considered the ideal job at Luverne High. The Tigers played for the 2A state championship in his first year.

What many didn't understand, however, was DuBose was running out of time. His pension in the state retirement system would only count his years at Alabama if he retired at the end of 2005-06. He wasn't old enough to join the state's Deferred Retirement Option Program, either, leaving him few options in the state of Alabama.

As he contemplated his next move, the phone rang. Millsaps head coach David Saunders was looking for a defensive coordinator.

"It was a business decision. I tried to do some things to stay (at Luverne) part time, but we never could work that out," DuBose said. "I was talking to some people in the Florida Panhandle about going down there and starting a second retirement when David called me with this opportunity. The timing was right to do this."

DuBose served a year as Millsaps recruiting coordinator when Saunders announced he was leaving to become the linebackers coach at Ole Miss. DuBose was quickly named the Majors' head coach.

The past few months have provided the 30-year coaching veteran with a new experience: recruiting for a program that offers no sports scholarships. At Millsaps, recruiting runs from January right up until classes start. He also is forced to "coach on the run," due to the academic demands of his student-athletes.

"These guys write more papers in a week than we did at Alabama in four years," he said. "When you leave here, you're prepared to go out in society and make a wonderful living for yourself and your family, but there's a price to pay for that. We ask an awful lot out of them, and we have to understand, sometimes, they are fatigued mentally because of the workload academicallyDuBose doesn't want all that work to go unnoticed. The New Orleans Saints will arrive on the campus July 27 for a month-long training camp that culminates with an Aug. 26 exhibition game against the Indianapolis Colts at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium across the street. DuBose hopes the NFL presence will help the school.

He hopes to win a few more games and generate more interest -- and higher expectations -- in the process. And if so, he wouldn't mind sticking around for a while.

"I told them when I took the job I would not stay here if there was not a commitment," he said. "If there's a commitment to excellence in football, I want to be a part of it."

Archived