Muschamp Fired Up!

DKW 86

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3342726.html

Muschamp brings fire to Auburn

2theadvocate.com Staff

Published: Jul 13, 2006

AUBURN, Ala. — The first time Will Herring saw new Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp morph from easygoing guy to coaching dynamo, he was a little worried.

“When I was first getting to know him off the field, I thought he was just a real laid-back guy,” said Herring, a safety-turned-linebacker. “But some kind of switch flips when he gets out there and he’s hyper, running around. You’re afraid he’s going to have a heart attack at any minute.”

Now, the linebacker is acclimated to his latest defensive coach’s energetic on-the-field demeanor. Muschamp is Auburn’s third defensive coordinator in as many years, replacing David Gibbs, returned to the NFL after one season as Gene Chizik’s replacement.

The names — and personalities — have changed. The results haven’t fluctuated all that much.

The Tigers led the nation in scoring defense in 2004 and ranked sixth last season, though they allowed 315 total yards per game — up from 278 in Chizik’s final season.

Muschamp, a former LSU and Miami Dolphins coordinator, will add his own touch to the Auburn defense but coach Tommy Tuberville said the system remains largely unchanged since he became a head coach in 1995.

“When it all comes down to it, we’re going to run the same things that are the reason we’ve been the winningest team in this conference the last five years,” said Tuberville, a former college defensive coordinator.

“We try to keep it as consistent as we can. We haven’t changed any terminology in 12 years. When it comes to the bread and butter, that will all be there. He’ll bring a little jelly to put on it.”

Once again, Muschamp is working for a boss noted for his defensive background. He helped Nick Saban win a share of the 2003 national championship, fielding the nation’s top overall and scoring defense. Then, he followed Saban to the Dolphins.

“I always tell people there’s no substitute for speed as far as playing and in coaching there’s no substitute for experience,” said Muschamp, a former graduate assistant at Auburn under Terry Bowden. “Nick’s an outstanding football coach, and I leaned on him an awful lot ... and I’ll do the same with coach Tuberville. They’ve both been there and done that and had a lot of success doing it.

“I see both of them in that same light.”

Muschamp, 34, returned to Auburn after Saban hired Dom Capers as special assistant to the head coach.

“He was brought in and I was told I would be the coordinator again when he left, but that wasn’t necessarily what I wanted to do,” Muschamp said. “When this opportunity happened, I thought it was a great situation. It was just something I wanted to do.”

Muschamp takes over a defense that must replace five starters. One of his early moves was shifting Herring, a 36-game starter at safety, to linebacker to shore up a thin position.

Herring said Muschamp has two reasons for instant credibility among Auburn players: a national championship and NFL experience.

“As far as résumés go, there is none better in the league than he’s got,” he said. “We definitely want him to get us to the level that he brought LSU.”

I'm really excited about what he will bring to the field.

It will be fun to watch. A dominate defense will make the offense

very powerful, the playbook will be wide open, when Coach B has

that at his disposal look out. :cheer:

I say Let the BIG TIGERS EAT..... Go D...Get em BLUE!!!!

It has been awhile since I have been excited about one of our defensive coordinator hires, but Muschamp has me "chomping at the bit". I think we are going to see one of the most dangerous defenses we have seen in recent years. Our secondary is going to put fear into QBs and receivers.

I am really excite about Muschamp as well. I know it's unlikely, but I would really like to keep our coaching staff exactly as is for at least a few years.

I am really excite about Muschamp as well.  I know it's unlikely, but I would really like to keep our coaching staff exactly as is for at least a few years.

248272[/snapback]

That sure would be nice.

A great hire by Auburn, and it makes me nervous. Even though Saban was the real defensive coordinator at LSU, Will had the knowledge and ability to help the defense succeed. In addition, being able to blossom under a very difficult coach to work for gives him mucho credibility. :thumbsup:

A great hire by Auburn, and it makes me nervous. Even though Saban was the real defensive coordinator at LSU, Will had the knowledge and ability to help the defense succeed. In addition, being able to blossom under a very difficult coach to work for gives him mucho credibility. :thumbsup:

248286[/snapback]

Will was also the chief motivator of the D. He is very firey.

Look I love offense and Defense pretty equally but there is nothing better than JHS rockin on a defensive stand off. When the whole crowd gets rowdy and you can't even hear yourself think THAT RULES!!!!! Like the first half of the UAT game last year.

The 2003 LSU defense and their blitz packages were awesome. I am hoping to see a lot of that as an added wrinkle to this year's defense.

Look I love offense and Defense pretty equally but there is nothing better than JHS rockin on a defensive stand off.  When the whole crowd gets rowdy and you can't even hear yourself think THAT RULES!!!!!  Like the first half of the UAT game last year.

248438[/snapback]

AMEN!

IMHO us and CWM will make a great team!

Archived