Prothro to sit out the season

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...6530.xml&coll=1

Whatever you think about the rivalry, We all hope Prothro 1) Gets back healthy 2) Can play again.

Players say Prothro to take it slow

Tide receiver not ready to return after brutal injury

Friday, July 07, 2006

By PAUL GATTIS

Times Sports Staff pgattis@htimes.com

TUSCALOOSA - Tyrone Prothro's teammates on the Alabama football team said Thursday they expect the electric receiver to sit out the upcoming season.

Prothro is still fighting through the recovery from the grisly, compound fracture of his left leg sustained Oct. 1, 2005, in the Crimson Tide's 31-3 win over Florida.

"Superman," Crimson Tide tailback Kenneth Darby said when asked about Prothro. "He would love to be out there with us right now. But he knows that it's not his time to come.

"He's got down on the schedule that he will be back next year and I know he'll be back.

"When he does come back, I just feel for the opponents. That's the guy who is excellent and is a workhorse and a guy who misses a year, you know he's going to be intense."

Prothro has remained close with his teammates, even attending a couple of the voluntary passing drills this summer.

In fact, Prothro is still talking trash with frequent scrimmage opponent Ramzee Robinson.

"I keep telling him, 'Don't come out here on that crutch' because he's still talking," Robinson said. "I love him to death.

"The best thing about him is that his spirits are still high. He's still motivated now just like he was before we played Florida. And that's the best thing about Pro."

Prothro's health was among the leading topics Thursday as several players were made available for interviews by the media relations department. Prothro's only public comments since the injury were on April 1 after the Tide's A-Day spring scrimmage when he said he was working to return to the field. Coach Mike Shula has not commented on Prothro since then.

more...

During one of my post-op visits in the hospital last weekend, my doctor, being an :au: graduate, and I got into a discussion about the upcoming football season (That is the only thing Monica does not like about him, we always end up talking about football at every time he sees me). We got on the subject Prothro and he actually told me that he is hearing from some of his orthapedic comrades down in B'ham that Prothro would sit out this season. He told me it will probably be in the news within a week or two. He said any injury like Protros is very tough to come back from and it is not unusual for it to be a career ending injury for the position he plays. If he does come back, doc does not think he will be the same player as he was before the injury.

I hope prothro is able to get healthy and see the football field again. I think however he will only play one year and if he is able to play at 1/2 to 3/4 the level he was I think its one and done. It would make a lot of sense too, I am sure with the near 2 years he will have to spend recovering from this type injury, he should be well toward finishing if not finished with a degree. Considering the type of injury he sustained and with (for a lack of a better term) ease this type of injure could give him problems and flare up; I would say he would be crazy to pass on a big pay day from the NFL if he gets the chance. What do you guys think?

Being that he was on crutches during the pass skels 2 weeks ago i figured it was a foregone conclusion that Pro was out this year. He needs to rest up the leg and get ready for next year.

Whatever you think about the rivalry, We all hope Prothro 1) Gets back healthy 2) Can play again.

Friday, July 07, 2006

By PAUL GATTIS

TUSCALOOSA - Tyrone Prothro's teammates on the Alabama football team said Thursday they expect the electric receiver to sit out the upcoming season.

Prothro is still fighting through the recovery from the grisly, compound fracture of his left leg sustained Oct. 1, 2005, in the Crimson Tide's 31-3 win over Florida.

"Superman," Crimson Tide tailback Kenneth Darby said when asked about Prothro. "He would love to be out there with us right now. But he knows that it's not his time to come.

"He's got down on the schedule that he will be back next year and I know he'll be back.

"When he does come back, I just feel for the opponents. That's the guy who is excellent and is a workhorse and a guy who misses a year, you know he's going to be intense."

Prothro has remained close with his teammates, even attending a couple of the voluntary passing drills this summer.

In fact, Prothro is still talking trash with frequent scrimmage opponent Ramzee Robinson.

"I keep telling him, 'Don't come out here on that crutch' because he's still talking," Robinson said. "I love him to death.

"The best thing about him is that his spirits are still high. He's still motivated now just like he was before we played Florida. And that's the best thing about Pro."

Prothro's health was among the leading topics Thursday as several players were made available for interviews by the media relations department. Prothro's only public comments since the injury were on April 1 after the Tide's A-Day spring scrimmage when he said he was working to return to the field. Coach Mike Shula has not commented on Prothro since then.

more...

248230[/snapback]

for you to say that about your rival school, i think it shows alot of class............wishing he gets well and plays agian........really is a good thing to say and think

every fan of bama thanks you, and of course TP and his family too

i honestly just want him to be able to walk agian, without aid. playing agian would be a plus.

Friday, July 07, 2006

By PAUL GATTIS

I agree i hope he can walk without a limp and if he can play again that would be great I dont care who he played for he was fun to watch and i wish him well :big:

more...

248230[/snapback]

i agree i loved to watch him play i dont care who he played for good luck to him and i wish him well

for you to say that about your rival school, i think it shows alot of class............wishing he gets well and plays agian........really is a good thing to say and think

every fan of bama thanks you, and of course TP and his family too

i honestly just want him to be able to walk agian, without aid. playing agian would be a plus.

248304[/snapback]

Guy is a good athlete and football player, seems to be a nice guy also. Hate to see anyone get injured no matter what color jersey they wear. Hope that he is able to rehab and step on the field again.

Pulling for my home boy from Heflin to make a full recovery.... :)

:au::homer:

Archived