Players at the "U" dont want Williams back.

DKW 86

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/conten...2c_um_0724.html

UM players leery about possible return by Williams

By Jorge Milian

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, July 24, 2006

JACKSONVILLE - If Willie Williams returns to the University of Miami, he might not get a warm welcome from his teammates.

UM announced two weeks ago that Williams, who failed to participate in the team's summer workouts, was seeking to transfer.

But after being publicly rejected by West Virginia and Tennessee and getting only lukewarm responses from other schools, the possibility remains that Williams could stay at Miami.

UM coach Larry Coker and Athletic Director Paul Dee have said in the past week that Williams, a sophomore linebacker, was free to play again for the Hurricanes.

"We haven't released him from his scholarship yet," Dee said. "I don't see any reason why he couldn't come back."

UM players might not be as willing to accept a Williams comeback.

Linebacker Jon Beason, appearing at the 2006 ACC Football Kickoff gathering Sunday, said if Williams returned: "It's is not going to help us. It's going to be a back step."

Beason said he and many teammates would feel like they got "back-doored" if Williams was allowed to return after skipping summer workouts, which are grueling early-morning affairs where participation is voluntary but attendance is usually perfect.

Said Beason: "There won't ever be a point where we say, 'Hey Willie, it's OK man. You're part of the team now. You can chill.' We'd never say that. He would just have to be constantly on his toes, proving it by working extremely hard, being in front of all the sprints, breaking records and making plays on the field. That would be his job until he was gone."

Williams, who has not spoken publicly since news broke of his decision to transfer, is said to be frustrated with his lack of playing time. After redshirting his first season, Williams played in 10 games last year as a backup to Beason at weakside linebacker.

In 2004, Williams was admitted to Miami despite a criminal history that included 11 arrests.

Beason said Williams was taking the "scenic route" by transferring instead of battling for playing time at UM.

Beason wasn't the only UM player Sunday sounding less than thrilled about Williams' potential return.

Quarterback Kyle Wright said that Williams would have to earn back his teammates' respect.

"I love Willie," Wright said. "I think he's a great kid. Do I think he's making a mistake? Of course I do."

Letting him back would spin a clinker in their web.

He needs a good lesson in the word "team".

(O lineman to linebacker: "Psst, you want a piece of that self-centered a**hole behind me? Just go to my right on this play. By the way, snap count is 2.")

What does it say for this guy who is such a thug that he isn't wanted by a team where being a thug is a badge of honor?

Archived