Richt, Shula, Darby Comments

DKW 86

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...l_4080583.shtml

SEC NOTEBOOK: Priorities change for Richt

By MICHAEL DIROCCO, The Times-Union

HOOVER, Ala. - Football didn't matter to Georgia coach Mark Richt this past spring.

Not with his wife battling cancer.

Within a four-week span in April and May, Kathryn Richt was diagnosed with cervical cancer, underwent a hysterectomy and then received further treatment before finally getting news that the cancer had been caught early and had not spread.

That ordeal occupied Mark Richt's heart and mind, not finding a replacement for quarterback D.J. Shockley.

"I pretty much shut down for two months," Mark Richt said Wednesday during the SEC's annual media days. "She handled it better than I did. By the grace of God, she's really healthy now. So many people prayed for her and prayed for us, and we're very thankful for that.

"As much as I felt like I have a pretty good perspective and have my priorities in line, ... when you go through something like that, you can get a greater appreciation for family and what's really important. Football wasn't very important at all at that time."

Prothro's status uncertain

Alabama coach Mike Shula still isn't sure if receiver Tyrone Prothro has made enough progress to be able to play this season.

Prothro suffered two broken bones in his left leg during the Crimson Tide's 31-3 rout of Florida in October in Tuscaloosa. The injury required surgery to insert a rod in Prothro's leg, but an infection kept him in the hospital for several weeks.

Prothro underwent surgery Tuesday to insert another rod in his leg.

"Obviously, it was a serious injury," Shula said. "It's an injury that's going to take a while to heal. For us to say he's going to be ready next week wouldn't make any sense. For us to say he's not going to be ready until next year wouldn't make any sense.

"When he's going to be back, I don't know."

Shula denies SI story

Shula contradicted an item that appeared in Sports Illustrated over the summer. The magazine reported, in its "Sign of the Apocalypse" feature, that Shula switched churches because he was hounded by autograph seekers - including one at the end of the communion line.

Never happened, Shula said.

"No one approached me [for an autograph], and, no, I never changed churches," Shula said.

Etc.

Alabama, Auburn and Vanderbilt will play 12 consecutive games without an open date. Georgia will play 11 consecutive games before its open date on Nov. 18. ...

Alabama running back Kenneth Darby, on how badly he wants to beat Auburn: "How badly have you ever wanted something you've never had?" Alabama hasn't beaten Auburn since 2001.

Too many ugly jokes here....

Archived