Would Tubs sign a Bama hat?

SouthLink02

Gailey was presented with a kid trying to get his autograph but with a UGA hat.

He refused. I think it is quite idiotic not to sign a flipping hat but whatever.

Jordan Rich, 11, of Atlanta has his Georgia cap signed by North Carolina State coach Chuck Amato on Monday in Ponte Vedra. Jordan said that he asked Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey to sign the hat, but Gailey refused.

So, do you think Tubs would sign a Bama hat if an 11-year old would come up to him?

I think he would...I also think he would put a "War Eagle" on it as well.

Maybe Gailey should have put someting on it like "STANG EM".

Right, Sani.

Someone on the UGA board said Richt would have signed it GO Dawgs.

Spurrier would have signed it and then made a joke about him owning the hat anyway

Ext...

I don't see why he wouldn't sign it. After all, he owns UA. :poke:

Sorry slink, I didn't see your post about Spurrier.

If Coach Tubs signed the 'Bama hat I wouldn't dis-own him or anything like that. He probably would sign it with a Big :au: ! But more specifically, I've heard a story in the past that he came here on a recruiting trip and was to watch the game in the press box while he scouted players. I was told when he entered he shook hands with coaches, :au: fans, people with no obvious collegiate affiliation (hats, etc), etc. But, there was one individual who had a 'Bama hat on and supposedly Coach Tubs did not shake the individuals hand.

Now some history on this -- the person telling me the story is a 'Bama fan who grew up in UGA land. He also hates Coach Tubs with a passion. Last of all, he may in fact have been the individual who was refused the handshake. I don't know if any of this story is true or not, who knows. But like I told my friend, the person who didn't get his hand shook, may have smelled, been obnoxious, etc. I also told him we don't pay our coaches to like 'Bama and I don't expect Coach Shula and his coaches to like us either!

My opinion is that I agree with what johnwegl said -- I am pretty sure Coach would get the young boy or girl an :au: hat and he would try to convert them to :au: !

War Eagle!

If its a kid i dont see why you wouldnt sign it. Some kids may not even know what kind of hat they have in their hand. If its a grown up...id still sign the hat...with a smile. And id have to put some sort of dig in my signature.

If its a kid i dont see why you wouldnt sign it. Some kids may not even know what kind of hat they have in their hand. If its a grown up...id still sign the hat...with a smile. And id have to put some sort of dig in my signature.

252693[/snapback]

Ditto!

I'm sure Tuberville would sign it no matter who it was, but definitly if it was a kid. I am also sure it would say War Eagle cause thats how he signs everything that I have seen when it comes to autographs.

Stupid that Gaily didnt sign the kids hat.

I remember when I was around 10 or 12, back when the SEC basketball tourney was in B'ham. Hugh Durham was sitting in the stands after the Dogs had already played for the day. I went up to him all decked out in Auburn and he asked, "who's your favorite team?" Of course I answered, Auburn. He just laughed and said, "well I'll assume that Georgia is your second favorite then" and signed my program. Something to the effect of...to a future Tiger, Go Dawgs.

That is what I would expect out of CTT.

I think Tubs would sign the hat.

Not signing it would be like a past uat coach that refused to say the word Auburn. (I know he eventually did.)

Isn't "sports" the root word for "sportsmanship"? Where's Gailey's sense of humor?

Not to sign would be childish. But then I don't think it's exactly mature to rename the Croom award, either.

If my memory is correct (a big assumption) I think there was a post here several months ago about Tubs signing something for a bama fan at the B'ham Colliseum. I think maybe it was David who made the post.

I am sure he would sign it. Especially if it was for a kid. and I am sure he would add a BIG WAR EAGLE!!! on there as well.

If my memory is correct (a big assumption) I think there was a post here several months ago about Tubs signing something for a bama fan at the B'ham Colliseum. I think maybe it was David who made the post.

252776[/snapback]

I remember the post too, but don't remember who was talking about it.

I'll never forget my cousin, he attended the Auburn kicking academy and had his picture taken with Pat Dye wearing an Alabama shirt. Most coaches really don't care. I even attended the Bowden QB/WR Academy and wore a Bama shirt.. This was back when Tommy Bowden was the OC at Auburn, he only joked about it a few times. I still say that Tommy was the most personable coach I've ever met. I didn't really care for Terry (Samford coach at the time). Bobby Bowden signed anything you put in front of him. You could have cross dressed an Alligator and an Ibis and he would have signed it. :P

Tommy T would sign it and put a big 4 next to WAR EAGLE by his name!!!

I went to Fan Day Tubbs first year on the Plains. I stood in line for his autograph for a LONG time. By the time I got to him, the event was over and the players had been gone for a couple of hours. I was one of the very last people in line.

When I got to the table he greeted me with a firm handshake and asked me how tired I was from standing in line.

I had bought an Auburn football helmet from the University and I handed it over to him for his signature. He said it was the first helmet that he had been asked to sign and he asked me where I had gotten it. I told him that I got it from Auburn.

He said that must be the one that went missing from the locker room. He turned to the police officers that were standing at the end of the table and told him that he had caught the thief and that they should come over and put the cuffs on. They walked over like they were going to put a beat down on me. I knew he was kidding, but some of the other people standing around didn’t. It was pretty funny.

My point here is that we have a coach who understands what how the fans feel about this team and he appreciates it. Many of us would have lost our sense of humor after signing autographs for five or six hours. He was a true gentleman. Someone that I would be proud for my kids to look up to.

Archived