Spurrier's Swagger Returns

DKW 86

http://www.tbo.com/sports/gators/MGBUPUYZ5QE.html

Spurrier's Swagger Returns To Vintage Form With Gamecocks

Skip directly to the full story.

By ANDY STAPLES The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jul 28, 2006

HOOVER, ALA. - After several minutes staring into a camera lens and answering questions from an unseen ESPNEWS anchor early Thursday afternoon, Steve Spurrier pulled the plastic speaker from his ear and handed it back to its owner.

The University of South Carolina coach then turned and addressed the stragglers remaining in the Wynfrey Hotel ballroom after the official conclusion of Day 2 of the Southeastern Conference media days.

"A lot of talking without saying anything," Spurrier said, just before he flashed that grin Florida fans remember as the punctuation mark for all the old swipes at Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State.

But Spurrier did say something profound Thursday. Essentially, he told the world that a year at South Carolina has restored his swagger to vintage level. If rising expectations at Florida and two miserable years with the Washington Redskins accelerated Spurrier's aging process, coaching the perennial underdog Gamecocks has turned back the clock. To hear Spurrier tell it, Ponce de Leon went looking for the fountain of youth a few hundred miles too far south.

That's why Spurrier said this summer he might coach the Gamecocks for 10 more years. Thursday, the 61-year-youngster had a chance to take back that prediction.

"I guess I felt pretty good that day," Spurrier said, "and I feel pretty good today, to tell you the truth."

There's that grin again.

"You know, that age thing is a funny thing," he said. "I've always said, if I start acting like an old dude and talking like one, they need to get rid of me."

Spurrier said he realized last season he enjoyed coaching more than he enjoyed life as a retiree.

That may have something to do with a 16-15 win in Knoxville, Tenn., and a 30-22 win against a certain team from Gainesville.

He got some of the old questions Thursday, but he laughed them off. Does college football need a playoff? Who cares, Spurrier said. He just wants to win more than he loses for fans who - if he ever does build the program to the point where it can compete for the SEC Eastern Division title - will erect statues in his honor and name firstborn sons Stephen Orr (fan's last name here).

To understand how rejuvenated Spurrier sounds, think back to 1990, when he took over a Florida program on probation. With nothing to lose, Spurrier led the Gators to a first-place conference finish. Now think back further to his days at Duke. No one believed the Blue Devils could field a decent football team, but Spurrier stunned the football establishment and led Duke to an Atlantic Coast Conference title in 1989.

That's the kind of house money Spurrier will play with this season in Columbia, S.C., after a 7-5 record last year.

"Trying to make South Carolina a winner is a challenge. It's fun," Spurrier said. "We can tell recruits, 'You've got a chance to come here and do something that's never been done before in the history of the school.'

"We can tell them that. If you go to Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, they've already won SECs. You can come here and do it the first time ever."

Spurrier's words had the old edge. He believes he can bring South Carolina a conference title.

Not this year, though. Spurrier thinks a 7-5 regular season and a bowl win will suffice. But in two or three years, watch out.

His players share the dream, too. Cornerback Fred Bennett said he understood as the Gamecocks celebrated at Neyland Stadium in October.

"It just made us realize we can play in the SEC," Bennett said. "We can play with the big dogs."

Spurrier knows the Gamecocks need a little more of everything. This spring, he asked fans to open their wallets to help South Carolina improve facilities and amass a war chest on par with those at Georgia, Florida and Tennessee. This summer, he blasted a group of "five to seven" players who elected to skip the Gamecocks' "voluntary" - read: mandatory - workouts.

The fans and the players didn't really have a choice in the matter. Spurrier has embraced the challenge ahead, and his resolve is all the guarantee the Gamecocks need to buy into the dream.

"[ESPN analyst] Lee Corso said you can't win at South Carolina," Spurrier said. "We're going to try to prove some people wrong. It's fun trying to do that. It really is."

I have always liked the "ole ball coach". One of the top personalities to ever come out of the SEC.

Spurrier is one witty dude. He always seems to have comebacks that are on the razors edge, but coming from him they work. I have always liked and respected him as a coach and person. Sure he has a swagger about him, but he backs it up.

I, for one, am glad to see him back. He forced the entire conference to improve its game and the SEC is better for it.

Anybody else remember his comments after the 97 or 98 AU vs UF game?

The score was like 35 to 3 at halftime. Auburn had lost the game by the end of the first quarter.

Spurrier said in an interview after the game, "I think our scout team defense could have stopped our 1st Offensive at least once in the first five possessions."

You gotta respect a man who says whats on his mind.

Some people don't like his smarta$$ comments but most of them are funny - unless he is talking about your school. But the man does have class. I remember the 2000 SEC Championship Game where he called off his dogs in the second half or we would have been completely and utterly embarassed. The score ended 28-6 anyway. He is good for cfb and the SEC.

How can you not like the Ole Ball Coach??? I'm glad to see him back in the SEC. Remember, SOS gave UGA a pretty good scare last year too. :cheer:

it was 2000 and rex grossman was the one who said it. then they went out and beat our brains in again in atlanta.

i love stevie superior too, and it's great to have him back. we've had great coaches in the sec recently (richt, tubby, saban...) but none of them could match the fun of listening to steve.

Archived