Ranking the SEC Coaches

SupperClub

Click me!

With SEC Media Days behind us and the endless and mindless predictions accounted for, the time has come again to analyze the 12 gentlemen who will coach in the league this fall.

This bi-annual poll ranks the league's coaches not so much on lifetime achievement but on current ability. This is not based entirely on won-loss results or what happened last year.

I first began this column in the late 1980s around the time of media days and some of those on top have included Pat Dye, Gene Stallings, Terry Bowden and Nick Saban.

Here is a look at the best and worst of the SEC coaches:

-- 1. Steve Spurrier (South Carolina): This man has spent most of his career in the SEC at the top of this ranking. Even though Spurrier is 61, he has the mind and physical strength of a much younger man and he is still the best. He proved that last year with a vastly undermanned team, yet he managed to outcoach the likes of Phillip Fulmer, Urban Meyer and Houston Nutt. End of discussion.

-- 2. Mark Richt (Georgia): Only a Hall of Famer keeps Richt out of the top spot. The only blemish on his otherwise stellar resume is his 1-4 mark against Florida. His road record (19-2) is breathtaking and his overall mark of 52-13 is sparkling.

-- 3. Tommy Tuberville (Auburn): The boy can coach. Since the coup attempt, Tuberville is 24-3, proving Auburn moguls should have gassed up the jet a year earlier if they wanted to get rid of him. He has beaten Alabama four times in a row and has put Auburn football back on the national map.

-- 4. Phillip Fulmer (Tennessee): Many are writing off Fulmer, but not so fast. He's had one bad year in his career and in spite of being on the hot seat, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vols contend for the SEC East title. Bringing David Cutcliffe back should cure the offensive ills of last season. Many have gone broke underestimating Fulmer's abilities.

-- 5. Urban Meyer (Florida): By far Meyer is the coach with the most potential to be a superstar. Meyer struggled in his first year (9-3), but still managed to beat Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State. He has proven to be one of America's top recruiters and will probably be the most intriguing story to watch in the league over the next few years.

-- 6. Les Miles (LSU): Miles also remains a mystery. After inheriting a national championship-caliber team from Saban, Miles managed an 11-2 record but still left many with an uneasy feeling about his future.

-- 7. Mike Shula (Alabama): Coming off a surprising 10-2 record and top-10 national ranking, Shula's program encountered a tough summer off the field and faces even more questions about the upcoming season. Still, with a new $1.8 million annual contract, Shula's most important feat last season was getting critics off his back. He still must find a way to deal with the Auburn question (0-3) and win an SEC title, After all, this is his fourth year on the job.

-- 8. Houston Nutt (Arkansas): This is a man squarely on the hot seat. Two years removed from deciding against the Nebraska job, Nutt has gotten himself into a big mess. He faces a seminal season and may have to play a true freshman at quarterback. If the quarterback comes through, Nutt will have a great year.

-- 9. Ed Orgeron (Ole Miss): Orgeron confirmed his status last winter as a great recruiter but can he coach? Losing badly (35-14) to Mississippi State didn't help matters, but his high-octane energy has some fans thinking glory days may return to Oxford.

-- 10. Sylvester Croom (Mississippi State): Another coach who has done a good job of talking the talk but so far the walk has not been smooth. Because he oozes class, beaten-down Bulldog fans are willing to extend a helping hand and give Croom plenty of time. Still, at some point, wins need to come on the field or patience will run very thin.

-- 11. Bobby Johnson (Vanderbilt): Last year this program was so close to breaking out, but once again failed to get to a bowl game (a loss to Middle Tennessee made the difference). Still, the stunning upset over Tennessee was the biggest moment in recent Vandy history. Most observers believe Johnson would be a success at a more stable program.

-- 12. Rich Brooks (Kentucky): We have now finished the third SEC Media Days in a row where Brooks -- who inherited a mess -- was predicted to be in his final year at Kentucky. This dubious hire has shown no signs of being successful. At this week's media days, Brooks was dead man walking. If he were wise, he'd call Allied Moving now to lock in a good price for December.

Click me!

-- 6. Les Miles (LSU): Miles also remains a mystery. After inheriting a national championship-caliber team from Saban, Miles managed an 11-2 record but still left many with an uneasy feeling about his future.

253791[/snapback]

This is a real understatement right here. Miles is definitely full of contrasts. Highly praised and anticipated by corndogs...then losing his first game at home....to a UT team that turned out to have their worst season in recent memory. Winning out in the west....then getting OWNED by UGA in Atlanta. Having a loaded team ready for a run to the MNC....and going 11-2. A kind of good, kind of less than everyone expected season....ended with handing it to Miami by beating them so badly the TV commentators started talking about other games out of embarassment for Miami.

What is the deal here?

I think that's about right for CTT at this point. However, IF (and yes, that's a big IF) he wins th SEC this year, he vaults right to the top along side Richt and Superior. SS still belongs because of his past dominance and last year, he did some great things with a minimal amount of talent.

Richt is all about consistency and if CTT does win the SEC, consistency will be the exact reason he deserves to be considered as good as there is.

I would rank Nutt ahead of flipper. Other than that, it is hard to argue with his picks.

Does anyone really care where Fineslime rates the coaches. How can you rate anyone when you are at the bottom of the cesspool?

Don't agree with Richt being above TT or number two. He has always recruited more talent (stars), but we still own him. If he were the coach at Auburn, we would lose at least one or two more games a year. Sorry, but I feel Tommy out coaches him.

Don't agree with Richt being above TT or number two.  He has always recruited more talent (stars), but we still own him.  If he were the coach at Auburn, we would lose at least one or two more games a year.  Sorry, but I feel Tommy out coaches him.

253924[/snapback]

Agree with your assessment 100%. I live in Dawgland, and while Richt is the best thing that has happened to UGA since Hershel Walker, Tommy definitely outcoaches him. Maybe it has to do with age and experience, not sure, but I wouldn't trade Tommy for Richt for anything!

WAR EAGLE, y'all! Can't wait for Sept. 2! :au::cheer::au::cheer::au:

Archived