10th Grader with Schollie offers?

DKW 86

http://www.newsobserver.com/821/story/465859.html

ACC schools covet Spartans sophomore

Desmond Scott, who played as a freshman, has performed well in summer camps.

Tim Stevens, Staff Writer

Plenty of high school football players have higher career rushing and receiving totals than Southern Durham's Desmond Scott, but he has something that very few will ever receive -- a college scholarship offer.

Scott begins workouts for his sophomore season Monday at 2:30 p.m., with high expectations and scholarship offers from N.C. State, North Carolina and Clemson.

Clemson offered him a scholarship in May after he was the highest rated player in a Nike combine at the school. State offered after he attended its camp. UNC followed last week after Scott had participated in a camp for one day.

Not a bad summer's work for the 5-foot-8, 175-pounder who rushed for 271 yards and had 221 yards in receptions on Southern's varsity during his freshman season.

The sudden attention caught Scott by surprise. He said he never imagined that he would have college scholarship offers by now.

"I now realize that hard work pays off," he said. "I'm going to continue to work hard. You have to work during the good times and the bad times."

Scott knows opponents will pay special attention to him in the coming seasons.

"But I've been a marked man my entire athletic life," he said. "Well, really since middle school. I'm not above my peers, but athletically, in football and track, I've been a marked man. There is no more pressure."

Scott said he is already thinking about his college decision, even though he can't sign a national letter of intent until February 2009.

"That time will approach quicker than than you think it will," he said.

Scott's father, Tony, said he doesn't know if programs beyond the Southeast will show interest in his son.

"I would not shun the opportunity to have him looked at nationally, but that is not going to be the driving motivation," Tony Scott said.

"If he got no other offers, I think we would be satisfied with these three."

Desmond Scott burst into prominence when he attended a Nike workout on Feb. 4 at the University of Miami. More than 600 athletes attended and Scott ranked among the top six.

He also was ranked among the best at a Snow Hill combine and was in the top handful in a scout.com workout at Duke.

His showing in Miami earned him an invitation to a Clemson workout, made up of mostly upperclassmen.

There, on May 21, he bench pressed 185 pounds a personal-best 23 times, ran 40 yards in 4.47 seconds and posted a 4.0-second time in a 20-yard shuttle run.

Those performances ranked among the top three by running backs at the camp, and his 34-inch vertical jump ranked among the top 10.

Scott posted a 3.5 overall grade-point average during his freshman year at Southern and has a reputation for being an outstanding citizen.

"He is one of the nicest kids you'll ever meet," said Pete Shankle, who recently stepped down as athletics director at Southern Durham.

Tony Scott said he expects his son to grow bigger and stronger as he matures.

"He is going to continue to do the things that have gotten him this far," Tony Scott said. "I don't think he is going to get sidetracked or become complacent."

that is just crazy. I like seeing all the commits rolling in early but i don't think these kids should start getting offers until their senior season starts. The earlier they start getting offers the quicker its gonna start going to their head.

Way too early and not fair on the kid. Basically he's played one year (9th grade) of varsity ball?

When I read this:

"But I've been a marked man my entire athletic life," he said. "Well, really since middle school. I'm not above my peers, but athletically, in football and track, I've been a marked man. There is no more pressure."
I couldn't help but hope he can keep his head on straight and not let it get too big too soon.

RECRUIT WAITS TO BE NAMED

(AP) From combined sources

Samual Spencer

Several college recruiters, upon hearing that Mrs. Calvet Simmons was pregnant, converged on her residence in Fairhope, Georgia last evening. Mrs. Simmons complained to local police and members of the press that she was being hounded "almost all night" by assistant coaches--and possibly at least one head coach--who were aiming to get her to sign "promissary documents" to have her future son attend their schools. On an athletic scholarship, of course.

"It's crazy", Mrs. Simmons stated. "We don't even have the sonogram yet, it could be a daughter." More than one recruiter was heard to declare that it didn't matter, that they would take the chance on the offspring's sex and the scholarship offer stood, regardless.

This scene had been predicted two years ago when Mrs. Simmons, then Miss Calvet Taft, wed Roland "Boxy" Simmons. Mrs. Simmons' sister, Carolyn McCord, has a son who was signed to a scholarship at age 5 when he exhibited what some scouting agencies called "real promise". Speculation began on future progeny because "Boxy" Simmons is of course the recent Pro Bowl hero for the Pittsburg Steelers.

"Given the current state of college football recruiting", said Miami President George Knox, "this is to be expected."

Just going by the comments the kid made, it sounds like to me he already has an ego. "I've been a marked man all my life, well since middle school". Give me a break kid. This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen in college athletics. Shame on those schools for being this stupid. The kid has 3 freakin' years of high school still to play.

Did you guys catch the fact that all this seems to be based on what he did at a combine and nothing to do with what he has done on the field yet? Going by his fresman stats, he apparently did not get to play much. Heck he may have played a JV season as a 9th grader and then was pulled up to varsity after the JV season ended, which is what alot of high schools do when they have a JV team that only plays a 6 or 7 game schedule. Basically, this kid has not played a season of varsity football yet. How ridiculous.

Just going by the comments the kid made, it sounds like to me he already has an ego. "I've been a marked man all my life, well since middle school". Give me a break kid. This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen in college athletics. Shame on those schools for being this stupid. The kid has 3 freakin' years of high school still to play.

Did you guys catch the fact that all this seems to be based on what he did at a combine and nothing to do with what he has done on the field yet? Going by his fresman stats, he  apparently did not get to play much. Heck he may have played a JV season as a 9th grader and then was pulled up to varsity after the JV season ended, which is what alot of high schools do when they have a JV team that only plays a 6 or 7 game schedule. Basically, this kid has not played a season of varsity football yet. How ridiculous.

253916[/snapback]

The combines are a better assessment of talent. The fact that this freshman ranked higher than some of the best recruits in the nation at these combines tells these scouts alot. Theres something to be said about those results.

Did you guys catch the fact that all this seems to be based on what he did at a combine and nothing to do with what he has done on the field yet? Going by his fresman stats, he  apparently did not get to play much. Heck he may have played a JV season as a 9th grader and then was pulled up to varsity after the JV season ended, which is what alot of high schools do when they have a JV team that only plays a 6 or 7 game schedule. Basically, this kid has not played a season of varsity football yet. How ridiculous.

253916[/snapback]

The combines are a better assessment of talent. The fact that this freshman ranked higher than some of the best recruits in the nation at these combines tells these scouts alot. Theres something to be said about those results.

253934[/snapback]

Sorry Vatz, I have to totally disagree with you. As a former QB and WR coach at the high school level (volunteer..not paid), what matters is what the kid does on the field. I have heard younger kids do much better then older kids before at these combines and camps. So what is the big deal here. I have also heard coaches talk on how a medicore player did outstanding at a combine, but he still does not play up to his potential on the field. Want to know why that is? Because these kids know there are eyes directly on them at the combines and camps, so they give more then 100%. However, some of those same kids go back and don't even give 100% when they play, especially the ones thinking they don't have to. This kid sounds like he thinks he already has it made and now with offers, it will be interesting to see if he performs up to his ability. Bottom line is that in these combines, you ain't knockin' heads. It is a totally different thing to be able to perform at a combine then to show your stuff when helmets and pads are crashing against each other at full speed. So far, he this kid has not showed nothing. Notice the three schools that are making the "offers". They are all regional, not any Div-1 powerhouses. A school would have to be desperate to do what Clemson, NC State, and UNC are doing if you ask me.

253916[/snapback]

253934[/snapback]

Sorry Vatz, I have to totally disagree with you. As a former QB and WR coach at the high school level (volunteer..not paid), what matters is what the kid does on the field. I have heard younger kids do much better then older kids before at these combines and camps. So what is the big deal here. I have also heard coaches talk on how a medicore player did outstanding at a combine, but he still does not play up to his potential on the field. Want to know why that is? Because these kids know there are eyes directly on them at the combines and camps, so they give more then 100%. However, some of those same kids go back and don't even give 100% when they play, especially the ones thinking they don't have to. This kid sounds like he thinks he already has it made and now with offers, it will be interesting to see if he performs up to his ability. Bottom line is that in these combines, you ain't knockin' heads. It is a totally different thing to be able to perform at a combine then to show your stuff when helmets and pads are crashing against each other at full speed. So far, he this kid has not showed nothing. Notice the three schools that are making the "offers". They are all regional, not any Div-1 powerhouses. A school would have to be desperate to do what Clemson, NC State, and UNC are doing if you ask me.

253967[/snapback]

Look, I know your never the type to even stir away from your point of view. Thats understandable. But as a previous highschool player who has been to camps at Auburn, Cullman, etc... Alot of players who dont have the offense to produce extreme numbers get some big time scholarship offers just by being at these camps and getting officially timed and recorded.

Didn't Auburn offer some recruit this year just by being impressive at the camp?? Happens all the time... wasn't even on the radar.

There may be a little bias against the kid because he may have an ego. But to rank in the top as a freshman is pretty impressive.

No doubt results on the field speak loud. These camps do as well.

It's nothing new for big time programs to get involved very early with recruits, especially true for basketball players.

On the issue of combine numbers, I'll say simply that they are a good measure of athletic ability, but by shouldn't be solely used to detrmine how good a player someone is. Take Isaiah Stanback, he can run as fast as Vince Young, he's strong like Young, and he can flick the ball downfield like Young, and all that could be shown by combine stats, but when it comes down to it, Young is far and away the better player.

Football is a team game.. so even if a player doesn't do great during the season.. it doesn't mean he is not good.. Its just that you have to have everyone working together. So the combines do show a lot.

Look, I know your never the type to even stir away from your point of view. Thats understandable. But as a previous highschool player who has been to camps at Auburn, Cullman, etc... Alot of players who dont have the offense to produce extreme numbers get some big time scholarship offers just by being at these camps and getting officially timed and recorded.

Didn't Auburn offer some recruit this year just by being impressive at the camp?? Happens all the time... wasn't even on the radar.

There may be a little bias against the kid because he may have an ego. But to rank in the top as a freshman is pretty impressive.

No doubt results on the field speak loud. These camps do as well.

253968[/snapback]

Vatz, I bet you that they guys you are talking about also showed some stuff on the field also, but the combines highlighted what they have done on the field. The guys you are talking about have probably already been playing varisty football. I find it hard to believe a player can stink it up on the field, but get offered a scholarship for what he did at the combine. I have never heard of hit happening. Hey, I played high school football too and I went to some camps, but if I did not show something on the field, what I did at a camp or combine did not mean squat. You have to show it on the field too, no matter how you do on the combine. Think about this statment you made and tell me that you really think that:

The combines are a better assessment of talent.

The combines highlight your intangibles, but it is not a better assesment of talent. The best assesment is how you do against your opponent...each and every time you step on that field. Like PbN said, it is not unusual to get into early recruitment, but that normally means keeping an eye on a kid and maybe the occasional letter, it doesn't mean offering scholarships to a kid that is yet to play a full season of varsity football. Don't get me wrong and think I don't think combines have their uses because they do. They are a part of analyzing a kids strength and weaknesses. But you can't take that without looking at what the kid has done on the field also.

Archived