Plenty of drama in Tigers' first day in pads

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

Plenty of drama in Tigers' first day in pads

Monday, August 07, 2006

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - Tempers flared. Fights broke out. Coaches warned the combatants. And a true freshman jumped up to first-team status.

The first day in full pads at Auburn's football practice Sunday was punctuated with some real emotion and the sudden emergence of rookie linebacker Craig Stevens - and the midseason form of one Kenny Irons.

The senior tailback turned in his usual steady work on the field, and then he really put the needle in the defense as he left the field in his usual light-hearted way. With no scoreboard to dispute his claims, Irons declared his offense had triumphed over evil once again.

"We kind of took it light because they're running a whole new defense," Irons said. And besides, he reasoned, "the defense is little guys. Their biggest defensive guy out there is like 155."

Not exactly, but it did have a new look, if only for a day.

Stevens, a freshman from Tallahassee, was awarded a sudden promotion to take over the first-team weakside linebacker job from Merrill Johnson, who moved to the middle in place of Karibi Dede, who had missed Saturday's practice because of dehydration but practiced Sunday. Will Herring remained the starter on the strongside.

The moves may be more show than substantive, and, at the very least, may be a way to build depth as Auburn figures to play at least the first three games without backup linebackers Kevin Sears and Tray Blackmon, who are serving suspensions.

"Everybody knows our situation," said linebackers coach James Willis.

Willis begged off naming his top three linebackers. Stevens, for his part, was just pleased to begin the serious phase of fall practice with the first team.

"I feel kind of good playing with the boys that I've been seeing on TV the past couple of years. It was an honor," Stevens said.

Quarterback Brandon Cox said he didn't see anything wrong with how the defense handled the moves, but noted his offense was limited by the restrictions the coaches put on blocking schemes.

Otherwise, it was just another hot day, safely tucked away from the defense and the fights behind his big offensive linemen.

"Coach gave us a pretty good speech today about fighting - about not jumping in on it," Cox said. "I just sit back and watch. I don't have to worry about it."

Tuberville shrugged off the fights as a rite of passage.

"It's nothing but a pushing match until the helmets come off. Then we break it up. But it's good to see competition. They're getting a little hot and tired," Tuberville said.

"There's no room for losing your head out here," said offensive lineman Ben Grubbs. "You have fans out here and little kids watching. We have to be a role model for them. But at the same time, I don't blame them for getting mad to a certain extent. It's offense versus defense. It's competitive. One guy tries to jump another one, we either have to break it up or help him out."

Archived