Pat Sims' stock rising

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Sims' stock rising

Auburn defender's turnaround carries him from quitter to first-team tackle

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- Pat Sims' name echoed through the intramural fields on Tuesday morning, courtesy of Auburn defensive tackles coach Don Dunn's thunderous vocal chords.

But this time Dunn wasn't dressing down his fledging lineman. Instead, Dunn was praising him.

Sims hasn't heard much praise during his tumultuous two-year career at Auburn. Recruited as an impact player out of football-factory Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Sims has played only a few snaps in two years at Auburn.

Last year, after not playing in early games, he briefly quit the team.

Given Sims' history, Dunn's news on Tuesday was a bit of a bombshell: Sims is listed at No. 1 on the team's depth chart at defensive tackle and would start if the season began today.

"All coaches use positive and negative motivation," Sims said. "But right now, I'm listed at No. 1, and I'm going to keep trying to do better as we go."

Sims' move appears to be more than just a motivational ploy by Dunn. The best evidence of that was the move of Chris Browder back to defensive end.

Browder was moved to tackle during the spring in an effort to shore up the Tigers' depth in the interior line. Now, it doesn't appear he's needed.

Browder, a senior from Wilcox-Central in Camden, bulked up during the offseason to prepare for his new assignment at tackle, something he believes will help him now that he's back home at end.

"I'm happy about it because I got my weight up and I'm stronger," Browder said. "I just like playing end. It comes natural."

The moves might shake up Auburn's depth chart along the line.

It's good news and bad news for Sen'Derrick Marks, a redshirt freshman from Mobile who is fighting for playing time in the middle. Sims' improvement makes it more difficult for Marks to win the job, but Browder's move back to end means his role is more important than ever.

Senior Marquies Gunn and junior Quentin Groves are the listed starters at defensive end, and junior Josh Thompson will probably start at nose guard.

Browder said he might move back inside as a "three-technique" tackle during passing situations.

Otherwise, Browder plans on remaining a defensive end.

"I think it's a permanent thing, since Pat's stepped up and is playing so well," he said.

If the storyline persists through the first game -- and that's not at all certain, since jobs change hands frequently during August camp -- it would be one of the more remarkable turnarounds on Auburn's roster.

After redshirting in 2004, Sims grew disgruntled with his playing time last season. He didn't see a snap in a blowout victory over Mississippi State and skipped practice the following day. He eventually quit the team, planning to seek a transfer elsewhere.

Instead, Sims decided to stick around. Coaches were apparently so impressed with his transformation that they let him host recruits during official visits in January.

During spring practice, coaches said he was on "probation." Evidently, he passed the tests.

Sims said he's wiser for having gone through tough times in 2005.

"It just taught me to be a better person, to work harder and not let the little things get to me," he said.

Dunn said he was pleased with Sims' progress. But he also said the change in attitude will have to last.

"I'm really happy with him," Dunn said. "But he knows, and I know, and his teammates know that he cannot have a bad day. He can't mess up off the field, in the classroom with his academics, or have a bad attitude. So far, he's been great."

I am guardedly optimistic concerning Sims. The coaches have said he is the top surprise of practice, but it is still a day-to-day thing with him. I believe his team mates have been encouraging him and so far he has shown himself to be a vocal leader. Anyway the news o n Sims continues to be good.

Archived