Lineman lends giant support to teammates

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

Lineman lends giant support to teammates

Thursday, August 10, 2006

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - His work long since done, Tim Duckworth could have dragged his tired bones off the practice field and away from an unforgiving sun for an oasis that promised a cool shower and a burst of sweet, cold air.

But there he was, all 6-foot-4, 310 pounds, standing tall in full battle gear while others melted.

Long after the offense left Wednesday's grueling scrimmage, and long before the heat index could dream of falling below 100 degrees, one of Auburn's starting offensive guards stood watch while the Tigers' defensive linemen were made to run, and run again.

Some dropped and were scooped up by the training staff. Most trudged through it.

"We're a family," said Duckworth, the lone offensive player to stick it out. "If one falls down, we all fall down. I'm not going to sit here and leave my guys out here like that. I'm going to help them out as much as I can. I can't run it for them, but I'll be there to support them when they come back through.

"I can't just sit here and let my guys fall by the wayside like that. I've been in their shoes before."

What the defensive line went through - heck, what the entire football team went through - was a surprisingly long midweek scrimmage that was promised to be about 40 plays but went nearly double that. The heat and the humidity made it a test of endurance.

Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp took the scrimmage one step farther by making his players run when it was over, and questioning if there was a leader among them, especially after the offense had its way as the scrimmage dragged on.

"I don't care who it is - senior, freshman - I don't care where they're from," Muschamp said. "We need somebody to stand up and take control of the defense."

Defensive line coach Don Dunn went farther by having his players run even more than Muschamp's secondary, reminding them they comprise the hardest-working part of the team, and they better show it.

"They're out here before everybody else and they work harder than everybody else. They're the last ones off the field right now," Duckworth said. "I'm not going to leave them out there when they're struggling."

Some surely struggled, at least some of the freshmen who were not accustomed to the training that prepares the veterans for this annual right of passage.

"It happens every year," said noseguard Josh Thompson. "Anyway, we're the toughest people on the team, apparently."

Archived