Tub looking for the tough and dependable

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Tub looking for the tough and dependable

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

AUBURN -- Monday was Auburn's final day of practice on the campus intramural fields, and few players mourned the occasion.

The fields are marked by crabgrass, uneven surfaces, ant hills and a cement-like surface that is hard on knees and ankles.

Quarterback Blake Field compared it to a parking lot. Coach Tommy Tuberville said he was being bit by ants.

"I'm tired of fighting the ants," he said.

Auburn uses the extra fields to provide a more camp-like atmosphere and avoid wear and tear on its normal fields. There's more space, more room for fans to watch and it's easier to catch a breeze.

However, there is little shade, and players must walk to and from the football complex to get to the fields.

Beginning today, the Tigers will return to their normal, manicured practice fields, and practices will be closed to the public.

"It's time to get to work, and let you all do a little guessing," Tuberville said.

-- BACK TO WORK: After unloading on his team with an uncharacteristic outburst on Sunday, Tuberville said he noticed some improvements on Monday. But he doesn't think his yelling had anything to do with it.

"I don't know whether I got through to them or not," Tuberville said. "I made myself feel better. That's usually what that's about. Players are going to listen to you, to a certain point. I just told them, it's them versus themselves, not them versus us."

During his outburst, Tuberville singled out about a dozen players nursing injuries on the sidelines.

"Football is a hard game," Tuberville said. "You've got to fight and overcome yourself sometimes. Now we're getting to the easier part and hopefully we've noticed and recognized the (players) who are going to lay it on the line for us in the fourth quarter, and the ones that won't."

-- INJURY WATCH: Defensive end Marquies Gunn, nose guard Tez Doolittle and defensive back Lorenzo Ferguson returned to play on Monday.

Linebacker Kevin Sears (ankle) left in the morning session.

"We've got a lot of guys struggling with injuries, a lot of guys struggling with the heat," Tuberville said. "But we've got to play in it, so we've got to get used to it."

-- UP NEXT: Auburn will practice today, Thursday and Friday, with a break Wednesday for the start of classes. Tuberville said the Tigers might practice twice on Saturday.

Tuberville said he hoped to scrimmage twice this week, but he offered no details Monday. The scrimmages would be closed to the public and the media.

does it look like CTT is a lot more hands on and vocal this year than in the past.

Something is different, there seems to be an urgency about this season.

This may be that special season.

Archived