AU wasn't just...

SKCAUB

Once again, for you youngsters out there, who think that Auburn wasn't something BIG until Coach Dye came along...we've been playing for and winning championships for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time:

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS (10)

1900 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc. Co-Champions

1913 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc. Champions

1919 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc. Champions

1932 Southern Conference Co-Champions

1957 Southeastern Conference Champions

1983 Southeastern Conference Champions

1987 Southeastern Conference Champions

1988 Southeastern Conference Co-Champions

1989 Southeastern Conference Co-Champions

2004 Southeastern Conference Champions

WAR EAGLE!!!

:au::homer:

um..ok?

Maybe you didn't need the reminder, and more power to you, BUT, I reiterate this point because a lot of the younger people on the board think that there was no AU history before the Bahr...and that we didn't come into our own until Coach Dye got here. Having been a kid in '57 when we won the MNC, I know that not to be the case. So let's get stoked and continue our centuries long tradition of kicking...well, you know. :rolleyes:

Why would I get stoked about some title from 1900 something? I really don't care what Auburn did before 1950. Modern football technically didn't really start until the 60's but I'll count the 1957 team because that would be our only recognized national title. I thought this post was going to show Auburn as this badass football team forever. We have been a good program, no doubt, but we have not won a consensus national championship and until that happens, I don't think many outside the Auburn nation will think of us as a historical national power. Please don't misunderstand what I am saying, I love Auburn dearly, but what exactly does your post show about Auburn football that I should get super-excited about? Dye brought Auburn to national respectability so that is why most people think Auburn was nothing until Dye came along. I am sure Coach Jordan was a great man and a great coach, but it is hard to argue that many people were paying attenttion to Auburn until Dye's years. I know about the Sullivan Heisman and the Amazin's and the legacy of Coach Jordan and the Deep South's Oldest rivalry and pretty much everything else about Auburn football, but when outsiders talk about Auburn what sticks in their minds? Bo, Pat "tie" Dye, 1988 Sugar Bowl as we all know, Terry Bowden, Cadillac and Ronnie, the BCS controversy 2004 season, the 1993 probation 11-0 season, etc. You don't see anythign before 1981 talked much about Auburn anywhere.

Why would I get stoked about some title from 1900 something? I really don't care what Auburn did before 1950.

I think you need to rethink that statement.

I care what Auburn did because it has brought us to where we are now. You better rethink that just a bit. Do you know who John Heisman was? Ever hear of Gusty Yearout? How about, Ed Dyas, you know him?

A Coaching Career

Debilitated after a flash of lighting nearly cost him his eyesight, Heisman took his final exams orally and graduated with his law degree in the spring of 1892. Immediately after college, he got his first coaching job at Oberlin College leading the team to win all of its seven games in only the second year of the football program. Heisman's career was launched.

His career developed as Coach with stints at Auburn, Clemson, University of Pennsylvania, Washington and Jefferson and Rice. His coaching career ultimately spanned more than three decades (1892-1927) His most impressive coaching reign was with Georgia Tech (1904-1919) where his Golden Tornado were a scoring powerhouse with an astounding 33 straight wins.

A Life of Achievement

In his coaching career, Heisman changed the face of the game that became America's passion. What he considered his greatest contribution, the forward pass was legalized in 1906, after three years of writing and pestering Walter Camp and the rules committee. Much of the official rule book in the day adopted Heisman's suggestions word for word.

Men who respected and called him friend included: coaches Robert C Zuppke of Illinois, Fielding Yost of Michigan, Amos A Stagg of Chicago, Dr. J. W. Wilce of the Ohio State University, D.X. Bible of Texas A&M, legendary sports writer Grantland Rice, golf's first Grand Slam winner Robert Jones Jr., former team mate and Honorable Mayor of Philadelphia Harry A Mackey. As did his life touch many, the spirit of his character continues to inspire the best in those who would receive his Memorial.

Punt, Bama, Punt

What about Vince Dooley?

Early Life

Vincent Joseph Dooley was born in Mobile, Alabama, on September 4, 1932, the fourth of Nellie and William Dooley's five children. Born and reared in the middle of the Great Depression, Dooley was remembered as a short-tempered, irascible youngster who early on recognized athletics might be the only thing keeping him from a life toiling in the shipyards of his hometown.

Dooley attended Mobile's McGill Catholic High School and was known more for his basketball abilities than his football acumen, though he was named quarterback at McGill as a sophomore and led his team to the Mobile City championship in 1949. Dooley agreed to attend Alabama's Auburn University with the understanding that he would be able to play both basketball and football, but a knee injury during his junior year brought his basketball career to an end.

Dooley continued to excel at football under coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan, however, and in 1954 was invited to play in the College All-Star Game in Chicago (the All-Stars lost that game to the National Football League Champion Detroit Lions, 31-6). With his playing days over, Dooley spent the next two years in the U.S. Marine Corps, an experience that would characterize his coaching style for the next thirty-two years.

You must know where you have been to know where you are going

You can know your past without living there (unlike our friends in west Alabama)

Modern football technically didn't really start until the 60's

Says who? I saw some great Auburn FB games and some great players in the late 50s. I would like to see you tell some like Tucker Fredrickson that he didn't really play FB.

um..ok?

Maybe you didn't need the reminder, and more power to you, BUT, I reiterate this point because a lot of the younger people on the board think that there was no AU history before the Bahr...and that we didn't come into our own until Coach Dye got here. Having been a kid in '57 when we won the MNC, I know that not to be the case. So let's get stoked and continue our centuries long tradition of kicking...well, you know. :rolleyes:

likely being the youngest poster on this forum. I'll have you know that I already knew all of that. I know how the teams used to piss their pants when they would hear our name cuz they knew we could kick the hell out of any team out there, After Shug left and the days of Doug Barfield that prestige was forgotten until Dye came along and swore to bring it back and dammit he did. And If I dont give credit to Alabama for their early accomplishments then I won't give credit to ours either.

I know every all-american by heart. I've become a Auburn historical guru you might say, and I give this forum credit for inspiring me in my evergrowing love of Auburn Football. Thanks to all of you.

I know about John Heisman. He was at Auburn for only three or four years, but spent the majority of his career at Georgia Tech. I know about Punt Bama Punt because my dad played for AU from 74-77 and he had a bunch of good friends on the '72 team. I know about the 1957 national championship team because my great-uncle played on that team and was selected All-American and Lombardi Trophy winner. I know Auburn football history. Maybe what I said was a little harsh, but my point is still that most people do not know about Auburn history unless you were an Auburn fan through those years. Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Alabama, and some of the other well-known schools are talked about on a regular basis. Auburn isn't. I appreciate Auburn football history, but I don't get overly excited about a championship that was won before the Southeastern conference wss even invented. Also, according to the list that SKCAUB provided, it basically follows what I am saying, five of the conference championships were won durig Dye's years or after. Four were won when there was no SEC. who exactly was a member of the Southern League? One was won by the 1957 team when it was officially called the SEC. There are long gaps in Auburn's history when we didn't win any SEC titles and struggled mightily. Doug Barfield years were not particularly memorable. Overall, I believe Auburn is ranked in the top twenty for all-time wins which is a very nice accomplishment, but I would like to see us win the BCS. I know alot needs to happen and alot of luck needs ot happen, but that will solidify Auburn as a national power. Same thing happened for LSU. LSU has a history very similiar to Auburn, they were always considered a good opponent and could beat anyone in the country, but they were not very consistent over a long period. When 2000 came along LSU began to get their act together and now are considered a perrenial top five, top ten program. With that said, I am an Auburn man and always will be and am damn proud to be part of the AU family. I just want ot see us take it to the next level and finally get over that hump. War Eagle.

I know about the 1957 national championship team because my great-uncle played on that team and was selected All-American and Lombardi Trophy winner.

So Zeke Smith was your great uncle?

According to most accounts, while UA bought players like beef, AU recruited students, and did not emphasize"win at all costs". My father tells me how AU was a national powerhouse in, and before '57. After the criminal tide, brought the bogus NCAA infractions to us, AU reverted to the "student" athletes as players. Now, AU has one the best all around programs in the country.

On a lighter note,I talked to a recruits father, who is crimson bred, he told me after shaking CTT's hand at an AU camp, his son went on to injure his "thumb" at the camp. Talk about irony...

Tigerfan1234, you're correct about all-time wins. We're 14th in Division 1-A in that stat. However...we're also behind Bama, Tennessee, UGA, and LSU. So although we may not have a glut of conference titles, they are harder to come by than most others.

You must know where you have been to know where you are going

You can know your past without living there (unlike our friends in west Alabama)

Had to throw that in there didnt ya. :poke: HA! I agree though, you must know your past to make plans for the future. But you cant live in the past, as many of you have said about your rivals in tuscaloosa.

Modern football technically didn't really start until the 60's

Modern football started in the 1960's. Wow, that could start a totally new topic.

Well, I'm glad to have inspired another lively conversation...and if my tone seemed to be condescending,

please forgive me, that was not my intention.

HOWEVER...modern football started in 1960???!!! Where is that written? I've been watching college football since the 50's kid...and you don't know what the heck you're talking about. Which kind of makes my point. And our history is terrific, pre-Bahr, and we should all be proud of it!!! :poke:

Why would I get stoked about some title from 1900 something? I really don't care what Auburn did before 1950.

I think you need to rethink that statement.

I care what Auburn did because it has brought us to where we are now. You better rethink that just a bit. Do you know who John Heisman was? Ever hear of Gusty Yearout? How about, Ed Dyas, you know him?

A Coaching Career

Debilitated after a flash of lighting nearly cost him his eyesight, Heisman took his final exams orally and graduated with his law degree in the spring of 1892. Immediately after college, he got his first coaching job at Oberlin College leading the team to win all of its seven games in only the second year of the football program. Heisman's career was launched.

His career developed as Coach with stints at Auburn, Clemson, University of Pennsylvania, Washington and Jefferson and Rice. His coaching career ultimately spanned more than three decades (1892-1927) His most impressive coaching reign was with Georgia Tech (1904-1919) where his Golden Tornado were a scoring powerhouse with an astounding 33 straight wins.

A Life of Achievement

In his coaching career, Heisman changed the face of the game that became America's passion. What he considered his greatest contribution, the forward pass was legalized in 1906, after three years of writing and pestering Walter Camp and the rules committee. Much of the official rule book in the day adopted Heisman's suggestions word for word.

Men who respected and called him friend included: coaches Robert C Zuppke of Illinois, Fielding Yost of Michigan, Amos A Stagg of Chicago, Dr. J. W. Wilce of the Ohio State University, D.X. Bible of Texas A&M, legendary sports writer Grantland Rice, golf's first Grand Slam winner Robert Jones Jr., former team mate and Honorable Mayor of Philadelphia Harry A Mackey. As did his life touch many, the spirit of his character continues to inspire the best in those who would receive his Memorial.

Punt, Bama, Punt

What about Vince Dooley?

Early Life

Vincent Joseph Dooley was born in Mobile, Alabama, on September 4, 1932, the fourth of Nellie and William Dooley's five children. Born and reared in the middle of the Great Depression, Dooley was remembered as a short-tempered, irascible youngster who early on recognized athletics might be the only thing keeping him from a life toiling in the shipyards of his hometown.

Dooley attended Mobile's McGill Catholic High School and was known more for his basketball abilities than his football acumen, though he was named quarterback at McGill as a sophomore and led his team to the Mobile City championship in 1949. Dooley agreed to attend Alabama's Auburn University with the understanding that he would be able to play both basketball and football, but a knee injury during his junior year brought his basketball career to an end.

Dooley continued to excel at football under coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan, however, and in 1954 was invited to play in the College All-Star Game in Chicago (the All-Stars lost that game to the National Football League Champion Detroit Lions, 31-6). With his playing days over, Dooley spent the next two years in the U.S. Marine Corps, an experience that would characterize his coaching style for the next thirty-two years.

tigerfan1234, its real important to remember where you came from! Very important! I try my very best to learn something new regarding Auburn history and its lore every day, week, month, year, etc, etc. I KNOW who John Heisman was, who Zeke Smith is, who Vince Dooley is, and how important (Uncle) Ed Dyas (I am sorry, I had to "drop" a name!) was and still is to Auburn University! You should take Bottomfeeder's advice and get to know these former players, along with all the others, and get to know all parts of Auburn's history, all the way back to the beginning! Its very important to know and understand this, so that Auburn's excellence and tradition will continue!

EVERYONE should know and understand Auburn's history and where Auburn came from! War Eagle!! :au:

Well, I'm glad to have inspired another lively conversation...and if my tone seemed to be condescending,

HOWEVER...modern football started in 1960???!!! Where is that written? I've been watching college football since the 50's kid...and you don't know what the heck you're talking about. Which kind of makes my point. And our history is terrific, pre-Bahr, and we should all be proud of it!!! :poke:

Someone else wrote that earlier in this discussion, also i wasnt saying thats when it started.........just stating that could be a whole other convo.

Someone else wrote that earlier in this discussion, also i wasnt saying thats when it started.........just stating that could be a whole other convo.

Well...that's very true. :au::homer:

Yes, Zeke Smith is my great-uncle. He is still alive and lives in Alabama and works for some kind of steel company or construction company, I believe. SKCAUB, you think modern football is guys wearing leather helmets and the entire Division 1 running like three offenses and three defenses? No t.v.? Yes, I am a kid of 26. Sorry that my comments offend you, but I think this discussion is more about generational differences of opinion than anything. Ask anyone in my age group and they will likely agree with me. Ask anyone in you age group and they will likely agree with you. As I said my omments were a little harsh, but I know Auburn history pretty well. I should not have saiud I don't care about ur history. that comment wasn't meant to be taken to heart so much because it was said with a little truth and a little sarcasm. Sure, I have a few things to learn, but I have been indoctrinated with Auburn football history since I was born. Our football history is respectable and better than the majority of schools out there. Would I put our history up against Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami, and a few others? No. We are not at that level yet.

I know about the 1957 national championship team because my great-uncle played on that team and was selected All-American and Lombardi Trophy winner.

Sorry buddy but he won the Outland Award not the Lombardi

My bad man, he is still a family member. I don't know him that well, but I do see him at family reunions. We have one every year in Camden, Alabama and he is always there. He won the Outland Award.

You guys should be proud, be proud of your school in every way. AU has a great history. Im not real sure about records, but in the last 20 years or so AU has really done well in the SEC. They did well before that too, but the last 20 years have been really good for you guys.

I agree that MODERN football as we all know it started in the late sixties early 70s.It is AUsome that we won a championship in 1900 but that does nothing in a real football debate.Auburn has always been a team no one relished playing but never quite had enough to contend on the national scale.I am one who believes that Auburn football did begin with Patrick Fain Dye as the head coach.He allowed us to be brought into discussions on a national level...not just in the southeast.

Archived