An Issue Every Parent Can Agree On.

otterinbham

http://www.savealabamasummers.org/

This organizatiion is dedicated to banishing the ridiculous idea that year-round school is better for the kids. Studies are now beginning to refute this notion, showing no improvement in test scores. As a result, states such as Texas are retrenching their move towards year-round school. In fact, states such as North Carolina have enacted legislation to make sure that the school year doesn't begin before late August, and ends no later than the end of May.

Year round school costs more money, inconveniences parents, strips children of the opportunity to enjoy other interests during the summer, hurts local tourism, and DOES NOT POSITIVELY AFFECT CLASSROOM PERFORMANCE.

So join the cause today. Check out this website and make your voice heard.

Year round school costs more money, inconveniences parents, strips children of the opportunity to enjoy other interests during the summer, hurts local tourism, and DOES NOT POSITIVELY AFFECT CLASSROOM PERFORMANCE.

To say nothing about the gray hairs it would cause my wife, also. ;)

They go year-round in S. Korea and graduate college at 19 y/o.

That's sort of my point. If they won't get to graduate any sooner from high school then I don't see the point of going year round. If you make kids go to school year round then there should be an incentive for doing so and that's getting to graduate before you're 17 or 18. Otherwise, you'll just burn the kids out and grades will suffer.

I agree Captain. The thing in Korea is they do go about 12 hours a day, or something like that. After work we would go to Uijongbu in the evening, walk pass a little one-room elementary school, and the kids would still be in class doing mathematics, This after 6 p.m.

And yet, do you really want that of your own kids? In fact, there's beginning to be substantial debate in places such as Japan, Korea, and Singapore that Western educational philosophy is actually better than the ongoing rote learning and drill that characterizes Asian schools. Yes, their test scores remain higher. But, interestingly enough, there's beginning to be recognition that Western schools do far better at teaching more important intangibles such as creativity in problem solving.

And yet, do you really want that of your own kids? In fact, there's beginning to be substantial debate in places such as Japan, Korea, and Singapore that Western educational philosophy is actually better than the ongoing rote learning and drill that characterizes Asian schools. Yes, their test scores remain higher. But, interestingly enough, there's beginning to be recognition that Western schools do far better at teaching more important intangibles such as creativity in problem solving.

Yeah, well they routinely kick our azzes in international testing year after year, especially in math & science. Even our brightest students fare badly against their brightest. Rote learning has its place in the teaching of fundamentals. No amount of "creatively in problem solving" is going to help you underestand the concept of long division unless you actually do it manually a few times. I know in Japan students are in school abut the same time each day (~6 hours) but they are in school about 10 months of the year. They also go to school on Saturday, although I think this is focused mostly on extra-curricula stuff like athletics, clubs, music, etc. When I was over there, a guy I worked with also had his 12-yr old son in "Sunday School." This had nothing to do with religion -- it was an 8-hr day for the kid and consisted of special tutoring. He was studying for the Jr High exam. Getting into the best schools is the goal of the Japanese from K-12 and even to the University level. Admissions to the best schools is done on an examination basis. Thus, the constant cramming (rote learning) for tests. If you study diligently, you'll do well on the exams and then have your pick of the best schools. Kind of like an educational Darwinism system. Looking at the international test scores, it's kinda hard to argue with the results.

My understanding of Year Round Schooling (YRS) is that the number of total school days remains about the same, but that the school district maximizes its capacity by using their facilities year-round rather than letting them sit idle for a couple of months. If the choice is between building more schools (increased bonds/taxes) and using the facilities more efficiently through YRS, I know which I'd vote. Link

They also have a higher suicide rate because of the pressures.

Archived