Guiliani and Bush

TexasTiger

http://wcbstv.com/911/local_story_249164937.html

Sep 7, 2006 11:20 am US/Eastern

Documents: Feds, City Knew Of Ground Zero Toxins

Part II -- Memo: NYC Reopened WTC Area Despite EPA Warning

Marcia Kramer

(CBS) NEW YORK CBS 2 Exclusive: Stunning proof has been uncovered that the government knowingly put New Yorkers in harm's way after 9/11.

CBS 2 News has obtained documents revealing that Lower Manhattan was reopened a few weeks following the attack even though the air was not safe.

The two devastating memos, written by the U.S. and local governments, show they knew. They knew the toxic soup created at Ground Zero was a deadly health hazard. Yet they sent workers into the pit and people back into their homes.

One of the memos, from the New York City health department, dated Oct. 6, 2001, noted: "The mayor's office is under pressure from building owners ... in the Red Zone to open more of the city." The memo said the Department of Environmental Protection was "uncomfortable" with opening the areas but, "The mayor's office was directing the Office of Emergency Management to open the target areas next week."

"Not only did they know it was unsafe, they didn't heed the words of more experienced people that worked for the city and E.P.A.," said Joel Kupferman, with the group Environmental Justice Project.

Another part of the memo noted: "The E.P.A. has been very slow to make data results available and to date has not sufficiently informed the public of air quality issues arising from this disaster."

"Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me," said health protestor Yuichi Tamamo. "For the last five years we've been saying air quality here has been horrible."

It also doesn't suprise Carmen Flores, who lives in an apartment in the Baruch Houses that was engulfed in the 9/11 toxic plume. Her health has deteriorated and she has multiple medicines.

"I feel forgotten," she said.

Bruce Sprague, an E.P.A. official in the New York and New Jersey region during 9/11 admited to CBS 2 News the agency was finding alarming air quality readings at Ground Zero and in the surrounding areas.

Sprague said the E.P.A. had written much more conservative health assessments, but the memos had to go to Washington. And when the White House got its hands on them, they -- according to Sprague -- softened them.

The city health department refused to comment on the memo, but inside sources told CBS 2 News the memo is real. And its veracity is not questioned by the Environmental Justice Project's Kupferman.

He calls it "a smoking gun."

Oh cram it. We had just gotten hit by terrorist and had more pressing matters at hand than telling everyone to evacuate Manhattan. Get over your whiny ass self already.

Oh cram it. We had just gotten hit by terrorist and had more pressing matters at hand than telling everyone to evacuate Manhattan. Get over your whiny ass self already.

Tell it to the people who are still ill because they were falsely told it was safe because business wanted them too, assh@le. It wasn't about evacuating, it was about telling folks it was okay to enter closed-off areas.

You are truly disgusting. It was a mistake to remove you from my ignore list, but I'll correct that. See ya.

Tex, recycling stuff that is at best 4-5 years old is lame. We did not KNOW about the problems til later on. We stated rotating crews and bringing in folks from across the country. Wow, dredging stuff that is four years old trying to smear Guiliani...just pathetic.

I guess if we hadnt gone in then you would be criticizing the Bush Admin for not being responsive enough to the families whose loved ones remains were still in the wreckage.

Whatever Tex, just whatever. It must suck to be so consumed with hatred for Bush.

What are you folks going to do after he is gone?

Tell it to the people who are still ill because they were falsely told it was safe because business wanted them too, assh@le. It wasn't about evacuating, it was about telling folks it was okay to enter closed-off areas.

You are truly disgusting. It was a mistake to remove you from my ignore list, but I'll correct that. See ya.

No, YOU are truly disgusting, a**hole. You'll take any attempt to ridiclue the President. You don't give a damn about those who claim they were affected, you just LOVE taking cheap shots. Clearly, you want a womb to tomb Gov't which tells everyone how to live, where to live, when to move, when to stay put, what to scratch and what to leave alone. I'm sorry, but when it comes to my life, I'll trust my own instincts rather than a bunch of bureaurcratic pukes with clip boards and Gov't mandated regulations to uphold.

Try to ignore the truth, moron. You can only delude yourself for so long.

Tex, recycling stuff that is at best 4-5 years old is lame. We did not KNOW about the problems til later on. We stated rotating crews and bringing in folks from across the country. Wow, dredging stuff that is four years old trying to smear Guiliani...just pathetic.

I guess if we hadnt gone in then you would be criticizing the Bush Admin for not being responsive enough to the families whose loved ones remains were still in the wreckage.

Whatever Tex, just whatever. It must suck to be so consumed with hatred for Bush.

What are you folks going to do after he is gone?

There you go again. You're the guy who talks about Chappaquiddick almost every week. How many years ago was that?

You don't lie to folks in that situation. You obviously condone lying to these folks. Fine. That's in your ethical code. That's why you like these guys. We had to have work crews, but they could have been properly informed and tried to take more precautions. It WAS KNOWN AT THE TIME IT WAS DANGEROUS. Get your head out of Bush's ass for once.

The sign of a defeated man.

I dont condone lying to anyone. But things are not perfect.

Criticizing EVERY SINGLE EVENT in the last 6 years doesnt take a brain. Just like ignoring the fact that Clinton could have gotten OBL while PBC was in office. We would not be in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. There would not be 3K dead in NYC. There would not be 2000+ dead in Iraq. There would not be 20-130K+ Iraqi Dead.

All this happened because PBC was busier gettin his knob polished.

DO you live under a huge power line because the government says there isno link between that and cancer? Yeah. Me neither. So each is responsible for his own actions. If you stayed after 9/11 with all thatwas in the air, then you chose to stay. The gubment cannot and should not save everyone from themselves. Each person should do what they feel is right. Unfortunate that these folks were affected, but do not always trust the government when it comes to safety. You are responsible for your family, not Bush.

http://wcbstv.com/911/local_story_249164937.html

Sep 7, 2006 11:20 am US/Eastern

Documents: Feds, City Knew Of Ground Zero Toxins

Part II -- Memo: NYC Reopened WTC Area Despite EPA Warning

Marcia Kramer

(CBS) NEW YORK CBS 2 Exclusive: Stunning proof has been uncovered that the government knowingly put New Yorkers in harm's way after 9/11.

CBS 2 News has obtained documents revealing that Lower Manhattan was reopened a few weeks following the attack even though the air was not safe.

The two devastating memos, written by the U.S. and local governments, show they knew. They knew the toxic soup created at Ground Zero was a deadly health hazard. Yet they sent workers into the pit and people back into their homes.

One of the memos, from the New York City health department, dated Oct. 6, 2001, noted: "The mayor's office is under pressure from building owners ... in the Red Zone to open more of the city." The memo said the Department of Environmental Protection was "uncomfortable" with opening the areas but, "The mayor's office was directing the Office of Emergency Management to open the target areas next week."

"Not only did they know it was unsafe, they didn't heed the words of more experienced people that worked for the city and E.P.A.," said Joel Kupferman, with the group Environmental Justice Project.

Another part of the memo noted: "The E.P.A. has been very slow to make data results available and to date has not sufficiently informed the public of air quality issues arising from this disaster."

"Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me," said health protestor Yuichi Tamamo. "For the last five years we've been saying air quality here has been horrible."

It also doesn't suprise Carmen Flores, who lives in an apartment in the Baruch Houses that was engulfed in the 9/11 toxic plume. Her health has deteriorated and she has multiple medicines.

"I feel forgotten," she said.

Bruce Sprague, an E.P.A. official in the New York and New Jersey region during 9/11 admited to CBS 2 News the agency was finding alarming air quality readings at Ground Zero and in the surrounding areas.

Sprague said the E.P.A. had written much more conservative health assessments, but the memos had to go to Washington. And when the White House got its hands on them, they -- according to Sprague -- softened them.

The city health department refused to comment on the memo, but inside sources told CBS 2 News the memo is real. And its veracity is not questioned by the Environmental Justice Project's Kupferman.

He calls it "a smoking gun."

So they should have just left that big hole there and left all the bodies where they were? That would have been great wouldn't it.

These people who are sick now are sick as a result of a terrorists attack, but you blame Bush.

These people who are dieing now are dieing as a direct result of a terrorists attack, but you blame Bush.

These people's names should be added to the list of those who died on 9/11. But the dems what to forget it ever happened and cut and run from the war on terrorism.

But a damn dumb ass democrat can only blame Bush. You are truly pathetic.

So they should have just left that big hole there and left all the bodies where they were? That would have been great wouldn't it.

These people who are sick now are sick as a result of a terrorists attack, but you blame Bush.

These people who are dieing now are dieing as a direct result of a terrorists attack, but you blame Bush.

These people's names should be added to the list of those who died on 9/11. But the dems what to forget it ever happened and cut and run from the war on terrorism.

But a damn dumb ass democrat can only blame Bush. You are truly pathetic.

49105main_popcorn.jpg

*pulls up a chair*

Ohhhhhhh, this is getting good. Pay attention, kids. THIS is how you debate.

Archived